[Optional] Donate Button

Untoten

Untoten

I know many of you are against subscriptions for your Emby, just want to make clear right away, that is NOT what this is.

As our collections grow to 50-100tb+ of home movies, The storage, electricity, bandwidth, etc can be quite the bill to foot yourself.  I would like the ability to have a small button (post login) to donate to paypal or BTC.  This would be very helpful to keep our systems running without a large personal bill.  Perhaps just allow a toggle for a paypal button on top right would suffice, but anything to crowdfund our systems would help the weight some of our larger infra admins face.

I was going to do this myself via a portal, but native support in apps etc would be great.  Emby would probably also see an uptick in premium memberships if admins could get donations from their users.

Edited by Untoten

chef

Hey @@Untoten

Here is how to get Some new text into the Server Task Bar, only in the Web client.

Using CSS to add content to a web page is bad practice. Plus, this isn't finished because the Text doesn't link to anything.

This is really hacky...by the way.

But, it is a start in the right wrong direction for you. <--- LOL!

under branding=>custom CSS add this:

.headerRight:after { 
display: block; 
content: 'Donate'; 
font-weight: bold;
padding-right: 8px;
}
Like I say, it is hacky because CSS should not be used to add content to a page.

I'm probably gonna get some flack for recommending this to you, but I also wanted a that kind of button/link on my server post login. I'll help you figure this out anyway.

Read up on: "content tags in CSS", and see if you can find anything that will allow redirection to a donate site.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Untoten

Hey @@Untoten

Here is how to get Some new text into the Server Task Bar, only in the Web client.

Using CSS to add content to a web page is bad practice. Plus, this isn't finished because the Text doesn't link to anything.

This is really hacky...by the way.

But, it is a start in the right wrong direction for you. <--- LOL!

under branding=>custom CSS add this:

.headerRight:after { 
display: block; 
content: 'Donate'; 
font-weight: bold;
padding-right: 8px;
}
Like I say, it is hacky because CSS should not be used to add content to a page.

I'm probably gonna get some flack for recommending this to you, but I also wanted a that kind of button/link on my server post login. I'll help you figure this out anyway.

Read up on: "content tags in CSS", and see if you can find anything that will allow redirection to a donate site.

Awesome! Thank you, obviously I would stilll like native support for my request, but this might help.  My dev said this was bad to do and probably not going to work when I asked him something similar previously lol.  But it is very nice regardless, hopefully there will be more UI customization options at some point as it is quite cookie cutter atm.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Edit: Removed information as to not interfere with Emby's appstore TOS.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 5

If we did this then we'd never be able to put the server into an app store for easier downloading and updating.

Untoten

If we did this then we'd never be able to put the server into an app store for easier downloading and updating.

Why is that?  I would fork but it's closed source.

Why is that?  I would fork but it's closed source.

None of the app stores will allow you to put any form of direct payment into an app because this would be a way to circumvent their own store process (and 30% cut).  They are providing the platform for free so this is how they make their money.

• Like 1

Untoten

None of the app stores will allow you to put any form of direct payment into an app because this would be a way to circumvent their own store process (and 30% cut).  They are providing the platform for free so this is how they make their money.

Understandable.  Is there no way to offer an 'insert here' html portion?

Same problem because the store will still detect it and come looking to us for explanation. The fact that it is user generated content would not be able to prevent us from being the ones who wind up being penalized.

Jdiesel

Same problem because the store will still detect it and come looking to us for explanation. The fact that it is user generated content would not be able to prevent us from being the ones who wind up being penalized.

If my suggestion above may get you in trouble with the app stores please feel free to remove my post.

I will have to check on that, thanks. That is one of the reasons you currently cannot manage plugin settings in store apps. Although the plugins are fine by our terms of use, we have not vetted each of them against the stores terms of use.

Jdiesel

I will have to check on that, thanks. That is one of the reasons you currently cannot manage plugin settings in store apps. Although the plugins are fine by our terms of use, we have not vetted each of them against the stores terms of use.

I just confirmed that the Paypal button does show up on the Android App login screen and when clicked opens the Paypal link within the app. If the app is monitoring traffic this may be an issue for you. I will edit my post above.

Thanks. We'll just have to strip it so that only plain text is allowed.

Untoten

Welp, that was awesome for a second lol.  Can you offer a non app store version I can have my users directly download?  One that allows further customization, keeping in line with the open source concept.  I was about to do what  jdiesel suggested, but it looks now it is being disabled.

chef

Hrmmm... A channel plugin which places a link on the home screen. But I'm starting to think that wouldnt be allowed either.

• Like 1

Hrmmm... A channel plugin which places a link on the home screen. But I'm starting to think that wouldnt be allowed either.

That's not even possible. Channels have a singular function which is to pull in external media.

chef

That's not even possible. Channels have a singular function which is to pull in external media.

You're right. I knew that.

The thing is, just the other day while surfing the web at work I came across some unmentionable sites taking advantage of Embys abilities.

I really think that the nature of this server application is about you, your close friends and family. I was suprised to see some of these sign up sites, then again maybe I'm not suprised. That is about all I'm going to say about it, except that YouTube seems to have become a breeding ground for it. Sorry to bring it up.

Edited by chef

Jdiesel

Yep if you want your family and close friends to return the favor for accessing your server ask them to buy you a pint or hit them up at the next family get together. If hosting a server is costing you too much money than maybe you need to cut back on who is accessing it and downsize your hardware.

Having something built in to accept payments screams profiting from piracy even if you aren't making money off it. Seems like a good way to ruin a good thing for all.

• Like 2

Untoten

Yep if you want your family and close friends to return the favor for accessing your server ask them to buy you a pint or hit them up at the next family get together. If hosting a server is costing you too much money than maybe you need to cut back on who is accessing it and downsize your hardware.

Having something built in to accept payments screams profiting from piracy even if you aren't making money off it. Seems like a good way to ruin a good thing for all.

Right, but I do not want to directly solicit donations.  This is why I emphasized the voluntary nature.  It is like paying someone for a fanart piece.  They are not donating for the contents of the server (home movies) or anything.  They are donating as a recognition of my time spent and I will use it to further develop the platform and pay for Emby Premier.  In the same way these developers ask for donations for premier, I am very very very gently offering the option to crowdsource costs, without directly asking in any way.  And again, THIS IS NOT A PAY TO PLAY.  This is just a passive link to donate, without popups, asking, blocking of access, etc.

Let's keep this discussion technical instead of semantics debate.  Torrent clients also accept donations, because torrenting has legal uses.  my server is only home movies, there is no questionable behavior here, regardless of a minority of nefarious actors.  

Again, let's just keep this a technical capability discussion and not go teaching people how to run their servers the way you see viable.

@@Luke I know you are very clever, seeing what you have done for Emby thus far, is there any viable workaround you can see that will fully comply with all ToS and will still be convenient? 

Edited by Untoten

Untoten

This actually became relevant today, as I have to renew my wildcard cert :/ I just want the donate button due to infra costs, nothing else.  Also, the donations would cover the gaming servers and other services I run.

Spaceboy

This actually became relevant today, as I have to renew my wildcard cert :/ I just want the donate button due to infra costs, nothing else. Also, the donations would cover the gaming servers and other services I run.

Check out ombi [emoji4]

Untoten

Check out ombi [emoji4]

That would not fulfill the full parameter of my feature request but thank you for your input.

• 3 months later...

Question if you're already a Lifetime Emby Premiere member how can I donate. Only place I can see to donate on web site is to buy a license.

Question if you're already a Lifetime Emby Premiere member how can I donate. Only place I can see to donate on web site is to buy a license.

That's correct.  The only options at this point are to purchase a license.  We cannot accept actual "donations".

Thanks for your continued support!