Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

55 minutes ago, datanet said:

I'd just like to confirm...when manually editing Intro Start and End Credit Start times, are the chapter insertion points supposed to be updated/removed?  I do not see that they are, but my manual edits are working as expected.  Is that something that will be added later?  I do also realize the chapter markers are purely cosmetic and the plugin does not rely on them, but it would be nice if the chapter insertion task was able to edit (or remove them in the case where there is a falsely identified intro that is manually changed). 

Also, is there any way that when you're editing the time that the left and right keyboard arrows move the cursor within that field instead of moving to the next field?

Guess what! When we integrate with emby further, we will be utilizing the chapter API to control the data. So, you are exactly right! Right now you'll have to run chapter insertion task again, but soon, the logic for sequence detection, and the chapter API for emby will be one in the same!  😳 

It's going to really be something! 👍

• Like 1

datanet
21 minutes ago, chef said:

Guess what! When we integrate with emby further, we will be utilizing the chapter API to control the data. So, you are exactly right! Right now you'll have to run chapter insertion task again, but soon, the logic for sequence detection, and the chapter API for emby will be one in the same!  😳 

It's going to really be something! 👍

Hmmm...I did run the IntroSkip Chapter Insertion task a few times and it did not update/remove the Title Sequence or End Credits chapter markers.

• Thanks 1

samuelqwe
1 hour ago, datanet said:

Hmmm...I did run the IntroSkip Chapter Insertion task a few times and it did not update/remove the Title Sequence or End Credits chapter markers.

He forgot to mention you need to refresh the metadata for the items you wish to update the chapters for. It doesn't have to be a full refresh that replaces images and such, the "missing metadata" option will do the job.

Unfortunately, that's how it is for now as we can't tell which chapters are the ones we put in or which are existing ones. However, this should be getting better very soon.

Edited by samuelqwe
  • Agree 2

rbjtech
On 22/01/2022 at 20:20, BaukeZwart said:

It's working for me, Kodi/E4K on Shield, Emby on a Synology NAS in docker using autoskip mostly. 

I have Kodi running on a Shield 2019 Pro and a 2017 model. 

👍 - I've updated the Compatibility List.

Could you also kindly confirm if the Auto-Skip Message also appears when using Kodi ?  Thanks !

https://github.com/chefbennyj1/Emby.IntroSkip.Release/wiki/8.-Emby-Client-Compatibility-List

• Like 1

Painkiller8818
38 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Could you also kindly confirm if the Auto-Skip Message also appears when using Kodi ?  Thanks !

i could do another test on kodi if it would help.

I can install Kodi on a raspberry pi and add emby (but i would not add the emby addon, i would like to test the EmbyCon addon) 

But just if this would help.

Just let me know.

• Like 1

rbjtech
17 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

i could do another test on kodi if it would help.

I can install Kodi on a raspberry pi and add emby (but i would not add the emby addon, i would like to test the EmbyCon addon) 

But just if this would help.

Just let me know.

yes please - I'd like to get the Matrix fully up to date with as many clients as we can 👍

2 hours ago, datanet said:

How did this go? Where you able to get the chapters rescanned with new data?

embyL0VER

So I can confirm on

Kodi 19.3, with emby-next-gen 6.2.7 and embuary skin your plugin is working fine.

Auto-Skip message is also appearing. (tested in english and german)

No my NAS isn't exploded :) second task for detecting needs a lot time but completes successful.

• Thanks 2

rbjtech
13 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

Auto-Skip message is also appearing. (tested in english and german)

Ah really ? ok - I thought that would not work - but glad it does - good to know.

Thankyou for testing !

I've added to the Compatibility List :)

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

embyL0VER
15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Ah really ? ok - I thought that would not work - but glad it does - good to know.

Thankyou for testing !

I've added to the Compatibility List :)

Just for reference (german message):

msg.jpg.f9b836196ec16d4dcfd8f8c3c9943906.jpg

Again this is how it looks like on:

Client:
- FireTV Cube / Kodi 19.3
- Emby-next-gen Plugin 6.2.7
- Embuary Skin

Server:
- QNAP (x86) Nas
- Emby-Server 4.6.7.0 qpkg 
- Intro Skip Plugin 0.0.1.74

• Thanks 2

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

Client:
- Embuary Skin

Server:
- QNAP (x86) Nas

Excellent - that looks ok - much better than the AndroidTV message which is a horrendous green box in the middle of your screen ! 🤣

Hopefully we can get the AndroidTV message presentation changed down the line - but it's the client displaying it, we have no control over how it looks.

• Haha 1

datanet
1 hour ago, chef said:

How did this go? Where you able to get the chapters rescanned with new data?

Yes.  Just as samuelqwe mentioned, I needed to do a Refresh Metadata and selected "Search for missing metadata" which reset the chapters back to the "defaults".  I then had to run the IntroSkip Chapter Insertion task and it updated those episodes where I previously refreshed the metadata. 

For anyone else reading this, the Scan media library task is not sufficient to update the chapter markers.  You have to go in to Metadata Manager or if the user has the necessary rights you can Refresh Metadata from the Library, Series, Season or Episode level in the regular Emby media interface by choosing the 3 dots and selecting Refresh Metadata.

Spooky83
8 hours ago, embyL0VER said:

Client:
- Embuary Skin

Server:
- QNAP (x86) Nas

Indeed this does look much better than the Android TV message, but I've got to say it's a little strange to read "Einführung". I mean it is the correct translation, but I think Amazon and Netflix also use "Intro" instead of the translation, but maybe it's just me thinking it's strange... 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Spooky83 said:

Indeed this does look much better than the Android TV message, but I've got to say it's a little strange to read "Einführung". I mean it is the correct translation, but I think Amazon and Netflix also use "Intro" instead of the translation, but maybe it's just me thinking it's strange... 

Agree.
This has already been brought up by someone else, probably @chef just forgot "fix" it. 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neik said:

Agree.
This has already been brought up by someone else, probably @chef just forgot "fix" it. 🙂

I will change that right away. I forgot to.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Weevillo

Hi, so my detection is almost done. It's at 98.5% for the title sequence detection and I've skimmed through most of my shows (I've got 150 shows amounting to 3000-4000 episodes) and I've noticed a pattern: A majority of the shows' first episode doesn't have an intro, but the plugin still "detects" one (often) at the beginning of the episode. Then there are also times where it "detects" an intro 6 minutes in that's 20 seconds long. Thought I'd at least report it but I don't know what to do from here.

Edit: I checked intro statistics and it seems to be aware of what episodes it hasn't managed to detect the intro on, but why would it then default to slamming one at the beginning? Even as a designer choice it doesn't really make sense, especially if it's the first episode of a show/season.

Oh and I thought I might add: It's not uncommon for video files to have a "Intro/OP/Opening"-chapter which marks the start of well... the intro, as well as "Ending/ED/Outro"-chapters as in the attached picture. Can't that be utilized somehow?

Screenshot 2022-01-25 180058.png

Screenshot 2022-01-25 180119.png

Edited by Weevillo
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:53 AM, stevehoffman203 said:

Disregard.  The install path for the plugin was incorrect on the download/.install page.  I now have it running.

I am trying to get this to work to assist with the beta, however I get nothing added under scheduled tasks.  

I am on Windows, copied the dll to the correct location, am running Emby Beta Version 4.7.0.20, have restarted Emby multiple times and cleared my browser cache, and tried multiple browsers.  Nothing gets added un Scheduled Tasks in Emby.  I have read through this whole thread and didn't see anything to try.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

How are you fairing now? 😃

rbjtech
1 hour ago, Weevillo said:

Hi, so my detection is almost done. It's at 98.5% for the title sequence detection and I've skimmed through most of my shows (I've got 150 shows amounting to 3000-4000 episodes) and I've noticed a pattern: A majority of the shows' first episode doesn't have an intro, but the plugin still "detects" one (often) at the beginning of the episode. Then there are also times where it "detects" an intro 6 minutes in that's 20 seconds long. Thought I'd at least report it but I don't know what to do from here.

ok interesting - we haven't noticed that behaviour during out testing - do you have a couple of example shows where this is happening ?  (Ideally common shows that we may be able to directly relate to/cross reference).

Edit: I checked intro statistics and it seems to be aware of what episodes it hasn't managed to detect the intro on, but why would it then default to slamming one at the beginning? Even as a designer choice it doesn't really make sense, especially if it's the first episode of a show/season.

We can certainly check the algorithm for this, but you must remember that this is an Audio match - it has nothing to do with the Video.  If any part of the 1st episode contains anAudio passage VERY similar to the real Intro - then it will be picked up as such.  You can make the detection more or less sensitive, but we have found what it is set to now is the best balance of correct identification BUT on some show types it does need tweaking we agree.   Maybe for a future release, but it would be possible to set this per 'show' if it was particularly bad.

Oh and I thought I might add: It's not uncommon for video files to have a "Intro/OP/Opening"-chapter which marks the start of well... the intro, as well as "Ending/ED/Outro"-chapters as in the attached picture. Can't that be utilized somehow?

Yes this was brought up when we were implementing the Chapter naming - but we made the decision to not remove any existing chapters - it is not our place to do that.  So you will get duplicate chapter names but you do raise an interesting point to use that existing 'Intro' chapter as a confirmation of the Title or End Credit Sequence and we should be able to use a bit more logic to perhaps 'rename' that Chapter (in Emby) to match the others.   

Thanks,  some interesting points there - and thanks again for helping us test ! 

• Like 1

Weevillo
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Ideally common shows

Sadly not, these are all anime. I can still reference some if you really want to test this out more extensively, I trust that you doing it by yourself would work better than me being in the mix.

If any part of the 1st episode contains anAudio passage VERY similar to the real Intro - then it will be picked up as such

But isn't it more odd that it somehow does this repeatedly at the beginning? Do you guys start scanning the first episode of a series/season? Because if so then if that's the source of the intro theme and all the following episodes gets their intro correctly detected shouldn't it be able to perhaps then "correct" itself (if you programmed it to do so)? Like double check just the first episode. I don't know, it just feels strangely peculiar that it's happening 95% of them time on the first episode and I've only seen one or two cases where it put the intro randomly in the middle section of an episode. Maybe this is unique to anime? That's why I proposed a while back for "profiles", where the plugin will act differently depending on a type of show's established episode structure. In this case, perhaps, it would've meant that the plugin should assume that there's a lower chance for an intro on the first episode, since that's almost always the case with anime (especially modern ones). On the other side outro detection is on point more or less, and I've got a show where the intro plays along some scenery shots/background noise and the plugin still managed to pick up 70% of the intros which is impressive, but kinda ironic how it manages that and not ordinary intros.

Yes this was brought up when we were implementing the Chapter naming - but we made the decision to not remove any existing chapters - it is not our place to do that.  So you will get duplicate chapter names but you do raise an interesting point to use that existing 'Intro' chapter as a confirmation of the Title or End Credit Sequence and we should be able to use a bit more logic to perhaps 'rename' that Chapter (in Emby) to match the others

Of course, if there already exists an intro-marked chapter (as you mentioned) there would be no need to tamper with chapters. And if the plugin has detected the intro length it's just a breeze for it to find some strings among the chapters like "OP" and cut down significantly on detection time while maintaining accuracy. You seem to be making the point though that the plugin will always create chapters, and I don't know if regular media never/scarcely includes chapters, but assuming any tampering with chapters would be needed to be taken into account isn't necessary.

Oh and I briefly tested the auto skip function, and the option to have a manual button will surely elevate this plugin. The client (Shield/Android TV) only reports the playback position to the server once every 2-4 seconds and that seems to delay the activation of auto skip by equally as much. I've set delay in the plugin to 0. Don't know if it's possible to ramp up the communication between client and server, but if so then more powerful systems should be able to handle it? I'm kinda talking outside my area of expertise though, so I leave this up to you to answer😅.

Glad to be helping out!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Weevillo said:

But isn't it more odd that it somehow does this repeatedly at the beginning? Do you guys start scanning the first episode of a series/season? Because if so then if that's the source of the intro theme and all the following episodes gets their intro correctly detected shouldn't it be able to perhaps then "correct" itself (if you programmed it to do so)? Like double check just the first episode. I don't know, it just feels strangely peculiar that it's happening 95% of them time on the first episode and I've only seen one or two cases where it put the intro randomly in the middle section of an episode. 

This is pretty much what it does.

We just don't compare the same episode with itself.

E1 - E2

E1 - E3

etc...

Then,

E2 - E1

E2 -E3

etc...

We do a second comparison between with the episodes flipped. The reason behind that is so we can calculate sampling weights, and choose the sequence comparison with a high confidence level.

If E1 has some slightly different audio, then detecting the intro is more difficult, and that episode falls into the 20% of our 80% successful detection rate. 

The more data we pour into the sampling weight calculation the better the chance of hitting the mark.

There are a couple other small conditions built into the sampling weight calculation.

For instance, if the intro start times are really close (like really close...) to the beginning of the stream, then we push the start time to the beginning, and use the most common sequence duration for the season. 

We know of a couple series that have episode that seem  near impossible to detect. 

So they have to be edited in the config.

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

stevehoffman203

New user here but have read through this thread.  Have introskip installed on my Windows machine along with the latest beta of Emby.  When I run Episode Audio Fingerprinting, everything runs fine until it gets to 83%.  It seems to freeze there.

Things I have noticed.  While it is running, Task Manager shows approx. 100% disk utilization on the hard drive where my media is stored.  When it gets to 83%, disk activity goes to zero.

Things I have tried.  Shutdown Emby, deleted the titlesequence.db database, restarted Emby and ran Episode Audio Fingerprinting again.  Same result.

At first I thought it was my backuo interfering by locking the db file, but I completely stopped my backups and it still happens.

Any ideas on where to look?

datanet
32 minutes ago, stevehoffman203 said:

New user here but have read through this thread.  Have introskip installed on my Windows machine along with the latest beta of Emby.  When I run Episode Audio Fingerprinting, everything runs fine until it gets to 83%.  It seems to freeze there.

Things I have noticed.  While it is running, Task Manager shows approx. 100% disk utilization on the hard drive where my media is stored.  When it gets to 83%, disk activity goes to zero.

Things I have tried.  Shutdown Emby, deleted the titlesequence.db database, restarted Emby and ran Episode Audio Fingerprinting again.  Same result.

At first I thought it was my backuo interfering by locking the db file, but I completely stopped my backups and it still happens.

Any ideas on where to look?

They'd only be guessing without a log file.  Enable debug logging and restart the Episode Audio Fingerprinting task and let it run until you're thinking the process is no longer working.  Then upload that server log.  Also, how many episodes are in your library?  The complete process can takes days to complete on a large library.

stevehoffman203
32 minutes ago, datanet said:

They'd only be guessing without a log file.  Enable debug logging and restart the Episode Audio Fingerprinting task and let it run until you're thinking the process is no longer working.  Then upload that server log.  Also, how many episodes are in your library?  The complete process can takes days to complete on a large library.

Thanks, I'm doing that now.  I'm not sure what constitutes a large library, but I have around 2000 episodes total.

Edited by stevehoffman203
Add info
  • Thanks 1