Chromecast + AC3 + Sony = no sound

Becko
Go to solution Solved by Becko,

Becko

So, I've tried a few solutions to similar issues people have been posting about, but no luck so far.

Short backstory: last week, my HTPC running a Kodi front end died. While waiting for parts for a new computer, I first tried passing movies and TV shows from my Emby server to my Sony Bravia KDL-48W605B over DLNA. The video worked fine, but there was no sound. Weird, I seem to recall it working before. Maybe that was my old TV set?

Trying to read logs and figuring out the DLNA settings didn't help, so, I tried with a Chromecast 2 instead. Same problem: video is running but no audio. More confusingly, some of the videos do play complete with sound.

A quick experiment (a log for which is attached) shows that:

* A MPEG4 video with MP3 audio plays fine, sound and all.

* Ditto for H264 video with AAC audio.

* H264 with AC3 (the majority of what I have), however, is mute.

It feels like there's a simple-ish solution I'm missing here, but what is it?

Log_170520_1701.txt

How is the chromecast hooked up? Is it connected directly to the TV or to an audio receiver?

• Like 1

Becko

The Chromecast is connected directly to the TV. The TV does feed the audio into an external amp over optical (as opposed to using its own speakers).

• Solution
Becko

...and there we have it :) Forgot to set the digital out to PCM, so the amp was trying to output AC3, which it can't do. Thank you for the hint! I'll leave the thread as a reminder for folks who've missed the obvious, too.