Audio Pass through not functioning

JustEric78
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

JustEric78

I have uninstalled everything completely and reinstalled then the only configuration I changed was to check mark each audio format to pass through. For whatever reason, it is not actually passing through, I ran the same video file through PowerDVD and it played in DTS HD but not within Emby. Any troubleshooting ideas, reinstall again perhaps?

JustEric78

Version 2.7.1, just had to reinstall fresh because I started getting errors on the previous version. If it is helpful I got an error at the very end of that uninstall but it appeared to remove everything. 

JustEric78

Is it working, now?

Looks like it is just this series I am watching. They do play in DTS-HD, as I said above, in PowerDVD but there is something about the native player in Emby that does not like them. Looks like it may be a bug so if it may be useful to you all to get details on the video files, let me know. 

JustEric78

Yes, I tested other movies identified with DTS, DTS-HD, and TrueHD, they all passed through to my receiver as expected, it is just this series that does not. What details can I share? 

Guest asrequested

Ok, just tested your file, and it plays perfectly. Here's a question for you, it's HEVC, are the others's HEVC? I'm wondering if it's transcoding on playback. When you say it's isn't passed through, what is the outcome? Stereo, AC3, 5.1 PCM? Try playing it and look at you server dashboard to see if it's "Direct Playing".

Edited by Doofus

JustEric78

I will test this tonight, in the past files have direct played but I will let you know. You got dts-hd on playback though?

edit: Just checked, this is direct playing.

Edited by JustEric78

Guest asrequested

I will test this tonight, in the past files have direct played but I will let you know. You got dts-hd on playback though?

edit: Just checked, this is direct playing.

Yes, it played correctly. So what indication is telling you it isn't working?

JustEric78

It does not play in DTS-HD, instead, my receiver displays pro logic, when played via PowerDVD it correctly displays DTS-HD. 

Edit: Normally I would say it is a problem with my install but as I said earlier, other videos pass through the audio just fine, really strange case here. I have had some odd errors though over the past month when starting Emby and then when I tried to uninstall it the other day for a clean installation. If you can tell me all areas to check after a clean uninstall I will verify it is completely ripped out and then reinstall to see if that resolves the problem.

Edited by JustEric78

JustEric78

Felt hopeful as I got no error uninstalling this time but still no luck after a reboot and a fresh install, very strange. I appreciate the suggestions, any other thoughts, I would love to hear them. 

Guest asrequested

I need to try an reproduce your issue, tonight. I'll reset my config and try different things.

Guest asrequested

OK, so the only way I can get this to come out PCM is if I disable all DTS settings. With the commands for mpv, only DTS-HD is actually needed to allow all DTS audio to pass through. So try de-selecting DTS and only use DTS-HD in the UI. Tell us what happens.

OK, so the only way I can get this to come out PCM is if I disable all DTS settings. With the commands for mpv, only DTS-HD is actually needed to allow all DTS audio to pass through. So try de-selecting DTS and only use DTS-HD in the UI. Tell us what happens.

So now you want it to come out as PCM?

Guest asrequested

So now you want it to come out as PCM?

No, but that's the only anomalous playback I can produce with his file. Any other way, it comes out dts. The standalone in that zip is my own configuration. If it plays correctly with that, it will help with diagnosis. 

JustEric78

Download this standalone mpv player and play your file with this. Tell us if it plays correctly. Just unzip it to a folder, double click the mpv player and drag 'n' drop the file on it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B00tLdPCXhgCb3Z3SFdhbWJxbWc/view?usp=sharing

Yes, it plays in DTS-HD with that MPV player Doofus.

Guest asrequested

OK, let's get some logging done, and see what's happening. 

Go here:

C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\mpv

Make an mpv.conf file (make a .txt file and change it to .conf), then put this in  it.

log-file=" choose your file path \log.txt"

Play the file once, and post the log on here