sudden issues with x5 z8350 atom playback

Lee

Jdiesel

TBH this new atom should work for playback not going to be under powered again. Won't be brand new anyway looking at some 5th gen on ebay

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Makes sense. Have you considered installing LibreELEC using the Emby for Kodi plugin? I realize it is not for everyone but you should get decent results on your Atom machine. 

Lee

Makes sense. Have you considered installing LibreELEC using the Emby for Kodi plugin? I realize it is not for everyone but you should get decent results on your Atom machine.

Not a big fan of kodi , plus I wanted a pc in the living room not just a media centre.

blade005

TBH this new atom should work for playback not going to be under powered again. Won't be brand new anyway looking at some 5th gen on ebay

@@Lee

Just tested again on my Minix Z83-4 Atom x5-8300 1.44Ghz machine. It is running Emby Server and I fired up HEVC, 1080p,  5.1 AAC files with Emby Theater 2.7.7 and they all Direct Played well. This was also with the machine transcoding a video for another user.  Not sure why it has been a struggle with your setup. I am NOT running audio thru an amp. Perhaps that can impact the playback. I picked this machine up mostly to be a low cost Win10 Emby Server, but wanted it to playback HEVC and 4K video occasionally. Haven't test any 4K content, but HEVC does seem to playback well, in and out of Emby ecosystem. Granted, it is not the snappiest machine when moving thru Win10 screens, but video playback experience has been acceptable for the price point.

• Like 1

Lee

@@Lee

Just tested again on my Minix Z83-4 Atom x5-8300 1.44Ghz machine. It is running Emby Server and I fired up HEVC, 1080p, 5.1 AAC files with Emby Theater 2.7.7 and they all Direct Played well. This was also with the machine transcoding a video for another user. Not sure why it has been a struggle with your setup. I am NOT running audio thru an amp. Perhaps that can impact the playback. I picked this machine up mostly to be a low cost Win10 Emby Server, but wanted it to playback HEVC and 4K video occasionally. Haven't test any 4K content, but HEVC does seem to playback well, in and out of Emby ecosystem. Granted, it is not the snappiest machine when moving thru Win10 screens, but video playback experience has been acceptable for the price point.

I'm perplexed because it worked at one point.. Then broke..

Lee

@@blade005 I'm wondering if there's a bottle necked network issue? My server is a different machine

@@Lee

Just tested again on my Minix Z83-4 Atom x5-8300 1.44Ghz machine. It is running Emby Server and I fired up HEVC, 1080p,  5.1 AAC files with Emby Theater 2.7.7 and they all Direct Played well. This was also with the machine transcoding a video for another user.  Not sure why it has been a struggle with your setup. I am NOT running audio thru an amp. Perhaps that can impact the playback. I picked this machine up mostly to be a low cost Win10 Emby Server, but wanted it to playback HEVC and 4K video occasionally. Haven't test any 4K content, but HEVC does seem to playback well, in and out of Emby ecosystem. Granted, it is not the snappiest machine when moving thru Win10 screens, but video playback experience has been acceptable for the price point.

What are your video settings used in the app?

Lee

@@Luke I've got gigabit lan there are a few network switches in there but that should be ample right?

blade005

What are your video settings used in the app?

I keep it very simple. This thing can't use any High-End Video settings.

I adjust the following in VIDEO section and don't touch anything else:

• HWA: AUTO (Provides a good playback experience with the lowest CPU usage.) 
  • Output Range: AUTO
  • Enable Deinterlacing: AUTO (I would like to set this to YES. YES gives the best Live TV or Recorded TV picture, but introduces stuttering. AUTO is better than NO, so I leave it at AUTO.

Lee

so today i had two crashes in the web watching videos.. been away all weekend so haven;t tried anything .

will upload logs from the server see if that sheds any light???

aaaaargh

so today i had two crashes in the web watching videos.. been away all weekend so haven;t tried anything .

will upload logs from the server see if that sheds any light???

aaaaargh

yes please.

Lee

Would Kodi with Emby add on be worth a try ? unless you're not a Kodi person of course.

tried kodi, playback is just as bad

Lee

@@Luke i'm tempted to try openelec see how that goes.

does it have to be kodi for openelec? also could i install openelec on a flash drive?

just turned all windows settings to best for performance, significant improvement in playback.

set everything to auto.

wondering if a lighter weight os would improve playback further...

just turned all windows settings to best for performance

what settings are you referring to here?

@@Luke i'm tempted to try openelec see how that goes.

does it have to be kodi for openelec? also could i install openelec on a flash drive?

just turned all windows settings to best for performance, significant improvement in playback.

set everything to auto.

wondering if a lighter weight os would improve playback further...

Or maybe just try a fresh windows install. You are reporting problems with every single player that you try. I think you have something environmental going on.

Lee

what settings are you referring to here?

system>advanced system settings>performance

system>advanced system settings>performance

That will prevent cpu throttling so i guess that is not surprising that turning it off has helped.

Lee

That will prevent cpu throttling so i guess that is not surprising that turning it off has helped.

Turns off all the visual bells and whistles also, noticed when the UI comes in playback suffers..

Reinstalled windows last night to try it.. Hevc content didn't even play.. Just the audio with a picture backdrop..

Turns off all the visual bells and whistles also

You must have checked one thing too many because I know from experience that does not happen. If anything that setting allows more bells and whistles.

Jdiesel

Just bought a roku 3... Had enough...

Dear god please no issues with that.. Flawless on daughters roku 2...

You will like the Roku 3. My only gripe with the Roku 3 is that it doesn't support multichannel aac, other than that it works great as a no fuss player.

• Like 1

Lee

@@Luke installed mpc hc today the playback of the hevc files is absolutely flawless

i have dxva copy back enabled in that worth noting on the system resources there is only 50% used by it...

i've tried to use it as an external player but videos don't launch will try again when i've more time and report backpost-299-0-39282800-1496157453_thumb.png

Edited by Lee

Lee

You will like the Roku 3. My only gripe with the Roku 3 is that it doesn't support multichannel aac, other than that it works great as a no fuss player.

The new interface sold it tbh, daughters roku 2 is a tad slow but a great little device

Lee

So i realised you have to press play with mpc hc before playback begins, I mapped a key on my harmony to close it afterwards.. Then....

When I go to play a different video when mpc hc launches from theater it plays the last video, not the one I chose?

As I said before playback is flawless. I'm guessing the law filters work a lot better on my system. That said mpv standalone works better than emby theater...

i haven't touched mpc in a while but i recall it had a command line param to make it start on launch.