sudden issues with x5 z8350 atom playback

Lee

Well as far as the UI is concerned, I can confirm that in some environments newer versions of electron are not animating at the full 60fps like it used to. So for now we're going to stay on 1.4.X. This version here should cure the UI problems:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-1

Thanks.

Lee

Here's the standalone. Audio pass-through, deinterlacing and auto copyback are enabled, too. In the mpv.conf, you'll need to change the drive location (in red) to where you've unzipped it.

log-file="E:\Downloads\mpv\portable_config\logs\log.txt"

For Theater, go to AppData\Roaming\mpv, make an mpv.conf file (make a text file and change .txt to .conf), and add

log-file="  your path to log file  "

Choose a different location. When testing, only test one file at a time. As soon as you test another file, the previous log file will be written over. Play a file, then post that log.

i tried this today

i'm not sure i'm following 100% 

i'm using theatre and its pointing at that version of mpv because of the config file is that correct?

i'm not getting a log file generated in the mpv folder?

Version 2.7.6 brings a few important improvements:

• Downloads are now split by x86/x64 architecture. The sizes are now cut in half which means that both installations and updates will be faster now.
  • We have reverted to an older version of Electron. This has restored the 60fps animation in the UI that you were previously accustomed to. We have noticed that in some limited environments, newer versions of Electron are not reaching 60fps and this is resulting in degraded UI performance. If you have been noticing this then you will want to update asap. 
  • When launching videos there is a nice little splash screen just like the web app has.

Enjoy.

Lee

@@Luke just had a thought which may sound ridiculous.. is there much difference between the desktop and uwp variant? i might try that because at present i'd take the 1080p 60mbps transcoded  i'm getting in the webapp all day long..

@@Lee have you tried the latest version of the app? And yes, you can always try the UWP version too if you're on Windows 10+.

scanner50

I thought I remember reading that the UWP app doesn't support bitstreaming of all of the audio formats that the desktop version does. Is that correct?

Guest asrequested

I thought I remember reading that the UWP app doesn't support bitstreaming of all of the audio formats that the desktop version does. Is that correct?

Correct. MPEG2 is one that windows doesn't support without the windows DVD player, installed.

Lee

Theatre crashed again on trying to update

The same io fault I sent the screen grab of...

When it eventually started it crashed after looking promising with a JavaScript error..

I'll. Post screenshots of these tomorrow fed up of faffing about with this its a disaster.

The UWP version plays everything fine @ 1080p 60mbps but the f***ing back button does nothing so I cant navigate the menus...

I'm getting tempted to try plex not gonna lie

As far as the desktop app goes, what you can do is just install the latest from the website and that is another way of doing the update process.

arrbee99

Theatre crashed again on trying to update

The same io fault I sent the screen grab of...

When it eventually started it crashed after looking promising with a JavaScript error..

I'll. Post screenshots of these tomorrow fed up of faffing about with this its a disaster.

The UWP version plays everything fine @ 1080p 60mbps but the f***ing back button does nothing so I cant navigate the menus...

I'm getting tempted to try plex not gonna lie

Would Kodi with Emby add on be worth a try ? unless you're not a Kodi person of course.

• Like 1

Lee

Would Kodi with Emby add on be worth a try ? unless you're not a Kodi person of course.

not a fan of kodi.. messy ui for my taste and too much aggrevation trying to integrate/update everything...

Lee

What back button are you referring to?

the exit button on my harmony works as the back button in desktop theater..

there is no backspace button in the menu or i'd have mapped it.. unsure if it has remote learning its that long ago.. i have a few wmc remotes might give that a try.

Lee

As far as the desktop app goes, what you can do is just install the latest from the website and that is another way of doing the update process.

I've done this several times already luke even goiing so far as to remove theater and all traces to see if it clears the problem up.

I'd like to see the app ask for updates once you are in the UI so u can accept or refuse them.. i'm personally getting far too many problems with updates either not working or taking an age to complete for it to be an automated process on startup..

I'm going to fwd u the screengrabs of the javascript crash error i got anyway.. 

Lee

The UWP uses the windows media foundation.

Thanks for your help, i haven't much time to test this atm the other half is not impressed and doesn't understand why its all gone to s**t...

Hopefully i can get some time wednesday to try get some logs for mpv..

I'm slightly annoyed that the UWP app plays 1080p 60mbps without issue and the desktop app can't acheive that tho.. even tho it SHOULD be direct playing.

I still stand by what i said this wasn't ready to go live and is definitely like beta software... hell the beta app worked better than this for me...

Lee

@@Luke playback is almost there on direct play of hevc files in latest desktop theater.. 

one thing i find strange if i set it to transcode to 1080p 60mbps i get little to no improvement.. meanwhile the UWP app will play that without issue as will web browsers ...

so something is still amiss...

also the back button is definitely a bug in the uwp app with a remote, i tried an actual wmc remote opposed to my harmony - nothing happens. if i press backspace on my keyboard i get the desired effect.

anything else i can do to get this sorted? i'm mega frustrated... i can get logs from mvp now if they will help? i have uploaded one already...

@@Luke playback is almost there on direct play of hevc files in latest desktop theater.. 

one thing i find strange if i set it to transcode to 1080p 60mbps i get little to no improvement.. meanwhile the UWP app will play that without issue as will web browsers ...

so something is still amiss...

also the back button is definitely a bug in the uwp app with a remote, i tried an actual wmc remote opposed to my harmony - nothing happens. if i press backspace on my keyboard i get the desired effect.

anything else i can do to get this sorted? i'm mega frustrated... i can get logs from mvp now if they will help? i have uploaded one already...

The reason why the bitrate setting has no effect in the desktop app is because the app is capable of accessing the file directly, so it plays this way. Direct file access will almost always be preferable when possible. So I would just leave the bitrate setting on Auto.

Based on your PM have things improved? I'm asking because your PM came after this. Thanks !

Lee

The reason why the bitrate setting has no effect in the desktop app is because the app is capable of accessing the file directly, so it plays this way. Direct file access will almost always be preferable when possible. So I would just leave the bitrate setting on Auto.

Based on your PM have things improved? I'm asking because your PM came after this. Thanks !

The playback is definitely improved, but it's still not watchable.. Plays like frames are missing. Had a couple of complete crashes yesterday tho which I will upload logs for later when I get the chance.

Regarding playback if the pc is struggling with playback for whatever reason shouldn't the Bit rate change override? That would make more sense otherwise it's a bit pointless isn't it?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

I wonder if in the old version of the app your HEVC files were being transcoded by the server and that is why they played well. Now they are direct playing and the machine that is direct playing them is just not up to the task. does that make sense? That is what I think right now. What if you try to play h264?

Lee

This is possible although I did look and they were reported as direct playback..

I'd take a transcoded playback make no mistake.. Haha

Lee

At this point I'm possibly putting this down to a bad experience and buying an i5 nuc.. If i had more cash floating about I'd have done it already...

Jdiesel

At this point I'm possibly putting this down to a bad experience and buying an i5 nuc.. If i had more cash floating about I'd have done it already...

i5 seems like overkill unless you are running your server off this as well. I would get something with an i3-7100u in it if I was buying right now.

Lee

i5 seems like overkill unless you are running your server off this as well. I would get something with an i3-7100u in it if I was buying right now.

TBH this new atom should work for playback not going to be under powered again. Won't be brand new anyway looking at some 5th gen on ebay