Beta: Two Issues

Koleckai Silvestri

7.5.0 Build 4099. Same build that I have been running all year.

Interesting.  What is the device?

Okay, so I'm lost then because, on my Roku 3 running 4099-04 our custom dialog works as expected.  You never see the Roku standard dialog (which is awful).  The * key always produces ours instead.

However, on my Premiere that is running a higher firmware version, both the Roku dialog (which is a slide out panel now) and our custom dialog are produced.  Indicating that we can no longer block the standard capture of the * key like we can on the earlier firmware.

Is your Roku 3 specifically a 4200X and is 4099 the entire build number?

Koleckai Silvestri

Just sent a log as well... Playing an Agents of Shield episode. No Subtitles. Press * get a menu in the middle ENG is selected. Select it anyway. No subtitles until I paused and restarted. System won't let me take a screenshot while video is playing.

That's exactly the same model and build as mine.

Can you describe exactly what the options are in the dialog you see?

Koleckai Silvestri

(1) Select Subtitle

------------------------

None (off)

eng - English

Square box in the middle of the screen overlaying the video.

ifignella

@@ebr, that dialog is working for you, but if you check the other thread where you asked people to try it, there were very few who had it work. I have 4 roku 3's and it doesn't work on any of them. I only get the stock dialog.

(1) Select Subtitle

------------------------

None (off)

eng - English

Square box in the middle of the screen overlaying the video.

Okay, that is our custom dialog. So, at least that part is working as expected.

Can you please follow the instructions (in the how to report a problem post) for sending a log from the app?  Just start playback on one of the items that should have subs turned on automatically and wait to ensure they don't show.  Then go through the process you described above and then send the log.  

Thanks.

@@ebr, that dialog is working for you, but if you check the other thread where you asked people to try it, there were very few who had it work. I have 4 roku 3's and it doesn't work on any of them. I only get the stock dialog.

Are you positive you are seeing the "stock" dialog... or does it look like the one described above?

Koleckai Silvestri

Okay, that is our custom dialog. So, at least that part is working as expected.

Can you please follow the instructions (in the how to report a problem post) for sending a log from the app?  Just start playback on one of the items that should have subs turned on automatically and wait to ensure they don't show.  Then go through the process you described above and then send the log.  

Thanks.

Sent a log the other day. Not sure how to identify it to you. 

As for the dialog, you described the custom dialog as sliding in from the side in the other topic. This just appears in the center of the screen and looks just like the same dialog in every other channel. The only difference is the color.

Sent a log the other day. Not sure how to identify it to you. 

Approximate time/day and name of Emby user

As for the dialog, you described the custom dialog as sliding in from the side in the other topic. This just appears in the center of the screen and looks just like the same dialog in every other channel. The only difference is the color.

The slide in panel is the new standard interface for the Roku video player.  Our dialog is a normal pop up but contains very different options than the standard one.

Ours presents you with each of the audio tracks or subtitles in the video and allows you to select one.

The Standard dialog has a field for setting the "Subtitle Mode" and then a field for subs and a field for audio.  Clicking on each of these fields rotates you through their options as opposed to showing you all of them at once.  And, selecting a subtitle in their dialog actually does nothing unless you also set the subtitle "mode" properly.

Anyway, we've designed a much more direct interface to these things that should be easier to use but, unfortunately, on later firmware, it appears we can't always use it.

Koleckai Silvestri

Just sent a log as well... Playing an Agents of Shield episode. No Subtitles. Press * get a menu in the middle ENG is selected. Select it anyway. No subtitles until I paused and restarted. System won't let me take a screenshot while video is playing.

Date and Time... user is Wayne.

ifignella

Are you positive you are seeing the "stock" dialog... or does it look like the one described above?

Yep, that was my mistake. I am seeing the one described. Sorry about that.

Date and Time... user is Wayne.

Thanks.  The app did turn on the subtitle track at initial playback.  I cannot explain why the Roku player isn't actually showing it to you...

Playing back item 1 of 5
Hiding overlay
35:45.542 [ItemContentTask] End
35:45.844 Posting url to Server: http://10.0.0.4:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing
35:45.995 With data: {"itemid":"c3c94bf144ba8b4914db33ce2e1553d2","livestreamid":"","playmethod":"DirectStream","playsessionid":"6e2c0d30a5d443d68ff6b81b0fb4e5b0","positionticks":"15980000000"}
Turned on sub track: mkv/3
35:46.895 Posting url to Server: http://10.0.0.4:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Progress
35:47.047 With data: {"audiostreamindex":"1","canseek":"true","ispaused":false,"itemid":"c3c94bf144ba8b4914db33ce2e1553d2","playmethod":"DirectStream","positionticks":"15970000000","subtitlestreamindex":"2"}

Thanks. The app did turn on the subtitle track at initial playback. I cannot explain why the Roku player isn't actually showing it to you...

Its simple. Captions must be enabled first. The embedded roku dialog has captions on/off at top in both of its forms, original and newmodel.

In the original form, you have: captions on/off, caption track, audio track.

In the new newmodel, you have: captions on/off, audio track, night listening, and accssibility at the bottom. Hidden inside the accessibility menu is the captioning track selector where this can be changed.

You cant trap * on new models, because it already is doing this. New models have both dialogs, I can make it show either the old or new dialog on my ultra. Using roUniversalControlEvent doesnt seem to allow trapping the roku dialogs when using *, you can trap one or the other, not both.

Also note, you have to literally dump the contents of the embedded core routines from bslCore.brs to debug console in order to see/know all the control events, such as the a and b gaming buttons, and our friend the * asterisk button. I am guess you already know this? Maybe use A button to change caption tracks, and the B button to change audio tracks? That would be entirely possible, and still let the normal roku dialogs have the * button.

Edited by speechles

Its simple. Captions must be enabled first. The embedded roku dialog has captions on/off at top in both of its forms, original and newmodel.

I realize that.  The app turns that option on whenever a subtitle track is selected.  Otherwise, none of our subtitle selections would be working.

Also, his subs wouldn't start working just by pausing and restarting.

Something strange here is going on and I'm not sure yet if it is something under the app's control or not.

@@ebr re-read my post above, made some edits.

On roku3 choosing subtitle doesnt turn them on for me, but does on the roku ultra. The roku3 has issues for me in that it cant select using the embedded roku dialog the internal SSA correctly unless they are the default track, seems to work fine with external SRT. One starts to think, roku isnt interested in putting older devices top priority.

If I instead, choose audio&subtitles first before playing with the old app, I can select anything and it just works. There is no possibility to change on-the-fly once this is done though. So caveat, but this does work around the problem. This is why I suggested the new app add this pre-play chooser, so that until roku gets their shit together, people stop thinking its an app problem.

Also, try using your premier, and press * during play, choose accessibility and then a non default caption track. It will respawn the video player. When he presses pause and then plays again, it must simulate to the roku this was done.

Edited by speechles

It may be some sort of timing that I have to play with in relation to setting these options.

Using my Roku 3 I can make it work sometimes and fail sometimes.  I'll have to try some stuff to work around it and see if I can get it to be reliable on both platforms.

@@ebr, offtopic but.. what about gaming buttons to change subtitle/audiotrack? A button brings up change caption track, B button brings up audio track. This way you dont need to be concerned, how or why, at the moment using * as custom. If you already use roUniversalControlEvent to detect keypresses, that would be the way to go. Even though, some models lack gaming buttons, the roku 2/3/4/ultra have them. For these people, you could make use of those buttons, they just go unused otherwise..lol

... And it looks like external srt work because they force a video player respawn, transcoding and all. I bet if one codes subtitles changes to always respawn with resume from same point then internal non-default would work too.. hmm... Might play with things and get back to you.. heh

Edited by speechles

The issues with using those buttons are 1) the newer devices don't have them (at least my Premiere doesn't) and 2) a new user would have no idea they work that way and will still press * to try and change options.

tyr_88

The issues with using those buttons are 1) the newer devices don't have them (at least my Premiere doesn't) and 2) a new user would have no idea they work that way and will still press * to try and change options.

Ok I have a few issues would you like me to start own thread or post here?

Couple bugs it seems on displaying

Edited by tyr_88

Ok I have a few issues would you like me to start own thread or post here?

Please create new posts - one per issue.  Thanks!

Koleckai - please test out the sub switching in the next beta version.  I tried something and would like to see if it helps.  Thanks.

Also, I think I've figured out a hack to get the * key trapping working like I want it to on both levels of firmware, so try that out too.