Looking for a web designer

bigjohn

I'd like to see us go back to a more graphical design with a large simple slider at the top with enticing graphics that show off our capabilities.

Then, below that the dynamic content we have now (and more) with the Blog feed, releases etc.

We're not looking for implementation necessarily, but just design.

Another thing I am looking for in a theme is having the main navigation buttons in line with the site logo to maximize screen real estate.  The more I look at that Opulus theme, the more I like it.

Here are a couple of other samples that follow this same general idea of graphical-simple-dark:

I like the overall look of this theme (sagan), kind of borderless, would definitely remove that divider line

http://wordpress.org/themes/sagan

"newp" puts the nav buttons under the logo and mixes some rounded with some square (don't care for that very much)

http://rohitink.com/2013/09/09/newp-wordpress-theme/

so John is a web designer?

Nah I'm just a hack. But I manage to get paid for web development, among other things.  I'm a geographer by trade.

• Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

I'd like to see us go back to a more graphical design with a large simple slider at the top with enticing graphics that show off our capabilities.

Then, below that the dynamic content we have now (and more) with the Blog feed, releases etc.

We're not looking for implementation necessarily, but just design.

Have access to this theme:

http://my.studiopress.com/themes/minimum/

Colors are editable via CSS, can replace the image at the top with a slider.

This one is a page in one design:

http://my.studiopress.com/themes/parallax/

As I have the framework and get 25% off on all purchases, this is an option.

Here is another scroller:

https://creativemarket.com/TheGravity/14956-Supernova-WordPress-Theme

Close to what Plex has though. I don't know what the code is like in this one but it looks nice. Could probably make the scroller cover the entire first screen.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 1

Wayne Luke, that Supernova theme is pretty sweet. I kinda like the idea of having a full-page slider with other content available via the nav menu, hard to show recent developments that way though.

If you haven't checked it out yet, you really ought to see the slider I linked earlier in the thread.

Here's a quick mock-up using the Opulus Sombre theme.  Imagine that top image as a fancy slider, some better images below.  None of what is shown here would be dynamic content ebr, but there could be a set of feeds (blog, twitter) below the three "featured" pages.

mbtest_zps547dd056.jpg

taking the web client to the next level sounds fantastic but i do have to say i heavily use the web client and it's outstanding and feels the most stable (for me anyway) navigating is quick and snappy, streaming is instant regardless if it's 1080p or SD just never buffers - with the added quick menu on the thumbnails makes watching tv series a breeze (especially on a quiet night shift at work! ;-) android client streaming always seems hit and miss for me and takes a while for the movie to start, maybe its the settings i have it setup on anyway i just hope when implementing the new design it just doesn't affect the functionality as at the minute i personally couldn't fault it 

Rowlett - we aren't talking about the web client.  We're talking about the public MB web site.

John - one problem with those dark themes is that our logo doesn't blend well with them.  We have a white 'Media' version but the green 'Browser' doesn't show up very well either.  This, and the more modern look of page white, is why we have gone that way in the past.

The darker themes, to me, don't look as new.  But that's just me I guess.

i actually think it's pretty sharp. i think dark works well on pages that are graphics-heavy. i'm sure the logo can be figured out.

Regarding our logo, the designer/s can mixed the dark theme with some while theme for the upper page so it can fit good within the logo color.

I'd be fine with moving it all to IP.Content if someone else wants to take responsibility for it.  It would tie things in nicely and enable a more seamless experience for the user between public site and forum/support.

Koleckai Silvestri

@@bigjohn

The mockup looks good. Especially since the purpose is the "sell" the software. It looks like a modern media company site. We would need a feature page that is easy accessible, preferably from the top menu. How does the Opulus Sombre theme respond to smaller screens like 7" tablets and phones? I didn't see a demo on the theme page. As the product grows, people will be using these devices for research.

The only drawback is that pages of text are often more difficult to read on dark backgrounds.

Koleckai Silvestri

For the logo, if the Media is White and the green a few hues brighter, it would work on dark themes better. Can bring the green into the text of pages by using it for headers in the text. This would extend the branding. The navigation bar links and social networking icons could also be the same green.

I'd be fine with moving it all to IP.Content if someone else wants to take responsibility for it.  It would tie things in nicely and enable a more seamless experience for the user between public site and forum/support.

Well, it was a suggestion, since if we can go by this, I will take that job with some help from our fiends here for designing matters.

But again, we are very close to IPB 4 and really I like to wait.

So for the main time, WP themes and enhanced design as the other suggest is good for now since Luke want that now.

Also please consider, if someone want to help in that WP design, he need to give it some time to look after it from time to time.

Here are a couple of other WP looks.  Both use the Sagan theme linked earlier. They are basically the same except for the navigation bar background.

ScreenShot023_zps773346fd.jpg

ScreenShot022_zps46a45311.jpg

• Like 1

For the logo, if the Media is White and the green a few hues brighter, it would work on dark themes better. Can bring the green into the text of pages by using it for headers in the text. This would extend the branding. The navigation bar links and social networking icons could also be the same green.

I was thinking along the same lines.  Bringing the green into some of the headers on sub-pages would probably be ok, but I wouldn't want to do it on the front page.

Edited by bigjohn

@@bigjohn

The mockup looks good. Especially since the purpose is the "sell" the software. It looks like a modern media company site. We would need a feature page that is easy accessible, preferably from the top menu. How does the Opulus Sombre theme respond to smaller screens like 7" tablets and phones? I didn't see a demo on the theme page. As the product grows, people will be using these devices for research.

The only drawback is that pages of text are often more difficult to read on dark backgrounds.

Opulus handles resizing for smaller devices, but not nearly as well (in my opinion) as the Sagan theme.

Some people don't like light text on dark backgrounds for reading.  I greatly prefer it.  My reader on my phone (Moon+ Reader) is set up that way and I love it.

Sorry I need to say are you sure you want a web redesign?

Yes you can make it prettier and more sparkley but I don't think it needs that much.

But you do need marketing help - the home page doesn't sell the product (It looks like one of the numerous sites that will sell me videos and music)

In 2 days I have got all the videos I recorded on windows media centre, my mp3 library, my girlfriends itunes music library, my photos (well most of them), her photos.

Accessable from one place and it's cost me about £10.

Sorry I don't get excited about much anymore (I'm too old) but it's F###ING amazing.

But your content doesn't say it..

To prove my point -There is a post about 4 or 5 down by someone who knows what they are doing (using terms I have never heard of)

Who is asking what it does!

Sorry started to rant (another sign of my age, and its 6am here)

Martyn

• Like 1

PS I was going to write some text that said what I thought it should say but that would be wrong. (I still will if you would like)

But I need you know what you think what your USP (unique selling points) are!

Martyn