Jump to content

Increase height of subtitles or user feature to change position


ShoutingMan
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi.  What version of the Android TV app are you using?  I was almost positive Exo was ensuring they were in the video frame as others have actually complained about this and want them moved out of it.  I understand why you want them in it with a CIH 2.35 setup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ShoutingMan

Conventionally — every dvd and blu-ray — subtitles are within the video frame. That should continue to be the case. I thought that was the case as of late last year.

 

I hope this isn’t being reverted back to how it was before I made this request. :)

Edited by ShoutingMan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should be the most recent as no upgrades are available from google play store - I’ll check. Not sure if for some reason resolution could be a factor as I’m running at 4k24p. I can experiment a bit between NCAA basketball games :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should be the most recent as no upgrades are available from google play store - I’ll check. Not sure if for some reason resolution could be a factor as I’m running at 4k24p. I can experiment a bit between NCAA basketball games :)

 

Okay, if you are on the current release, it is possible this item is playing in VLC which may not be maintaining them in the frame.  If you could also turn on the debug options in the app and confirm the player (will show something like "Direct/I") that would help.

 

Or, if you like, you could try the beta version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Confirmed it shows the Direct/I

 

Playing 1080p content at 1080/24p.

 

As a side note... when I go into the settings (control options during playback where you can select Quality or Disply mode)... if I drill down by selecting quality or disply middle to change options the interface locks up and it says EMBY isn’t responding. Interesting enough the plyback continues.

 

Sorry to pile on but hopefully this helps. I can send logs if you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it possible for you to try the beta version?  It has an updated version of the internal player which may behave differently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry for the delay. The beta behaves the same with regard to subtitles. Only using Kodi to they appear where I want.

 

I guess I’m curious if when you test your own build you get different behavior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

I searched, and despite finding many topics revolving around custom subtitle positioning I'm here to ask about to at least add a hardcoded option to position it within the video frame. I suspect this wouldn't work well with remuxes but with other encodes (where the video frame is filled with the image) this could be useful. I know Plex do this, but they burn subtitles on video to make it work. Is it possible to get some sort of setting on Emby that does this as well? Like, for 1.85:1 videos, the subtitle goes over the border with the top line inside the video frame and the bottom line above the video frame.

 

This happens on Android, Android TV and Chrome Web App.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,  you're saying you really want to pay the cost of burning in subtitles on the fly just for this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

oh. Forgot to add this detail. It would be dumb to ask indeed for the cases the video directly plays.

f the video needs to be transcoded, it would be interesting to have an option to burn subtitles within the video frame.

Transcoding is often necessary due to compatibility issues when using Android or Android + Chromecast and in the Chrome web app.

On the Android TV I would be happy to have just the subtitle positioning option. lol

Edited by alfablac
Link to comment
Share on other sites

OK I see what you're saying. Yes it's possible for the future. Thanks for the feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is it possible to get an option of moving the subtitle position as it's outside the visible area for us that use a 2.35:1 screen?

It's the same if it's srt or the original subtitles ripped from the Blu-ray.

Using the latest Android TV client on Nvidia Shield TV.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2017 at 7:45 PM, Luke said:

Thanks for the feedback. Subtitle settings are planned for a future update.

When? we are waiting 3 years 😕
emby for android tv....
plex has already resolved this

Edited by Paxtor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2020 at 7:25 PM, saarg said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is it possible to get an option of moving the subtitle position as it's outside the visible area for us that use a 2.35:1 screen?

It's the same if it's srt or the original subtitles ripped from the Blu-ray.

Using the latest Android TV client on Nvidia Shield TV.

Hi.  Can you show an example of this?

Is your item cropped to the 2:35 frame or does the video contain black bars?  The player currently makes an effort to keep the subs inside the video frame I believe but this would be fooled if the video actually contains the bars.

If I play a 1.85 item, the subs are a comfortable distance from the bottom of the screen.  A 2.35 one places them a comfortable distance above the bottom of the video.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/22/2020 at 3:48 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you show an example of this?

Is your item cropped to the 2:35 frame or does the video contain black bars?  The player currently makes an effort to keep the subs inside the video frame I believe but this would be fooled if the video actually contains the bars.

If I play a 1.85 item, the subs are a comfortable distance from the bottom of the screen.  A 2.35 one places them a comfortable distance above the bottom of the video.

Sorry for the late reply.

The video is just a standard mkv rip from blurry, so nothing altered. So the video contains the black bars. I'm using a projector and the screen is in 2.35:1 format , so the black bars are outside the screen. For 16:9 videos I'm just zooming out so there is black bars on the side of the video.

So the subtitles have to be in the picture part of the video or else parts of it is outside the visible part of the screen on 2.35:1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, saarg said:

Sorry for the late reply.

The video is just a standard mkv rip from blurry, so nothing altered. So the video contains the black bars. I'm using a projector and the screen is in 2.35:1 format , so the black bars are outside the screen. For 16:9 videos I'm just zooming out so there is black bars on the side of the video.

So the subtitles have to be in the picture part of the video or else parts of it is outside the visible part of the screen on 2.35:1.

Okay, so if you were to change your ripping method to actually crop the video to the image, then you should get exactly what you need now until we can get such settings.  Something to give a try anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, ebr said:

Okay, so if you were to change your ripping method to actually crop the video to the image, then you should get exactly what you need now until we can get such settings.  Something to give a try anyway.

Changing my ripping method is not going to happen. Then I would rather just use my Blu-ray player, which supports moving the subtitles, for the movies that I need subtitles.

Is it that compliated to make a setting for moving the subtitles up? Since it's been 3 years and from the sound of it, will not happen in the near future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can manually set the subtitles position by editing the mpv.conf file (in %AppData%/mpv) - add these lines (these are from my mpv.conf) :

sub-font="Arial Bold"
sub-font-size=42
sub-color="#FFFFFFB3"
sub-border-color="#FF262626"
sub-border-size=1
sub-shadow-offset=2
sub-shadow-color="#A0000000"
sub-spacing=0.5
sub-margin-x=10
sub-margin-y=8

You could probably just get away with adding the sub-margin-y=8 line. Adjust the value of 8 to something higher to move the subs up.

 

Edited by AdrianW
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, AdrianW said:

You can manually set the subtitles position by editing the mpv.conf file (in %AppData%/mpv) - add these lines (these are from my mpv.conf) :


sub-font="Arial Bold"
sub-font-size=42
sub-color="#FFFFFFB3"
sub-border-color="#FF262626"
sub-border-size=1
sub-shadow-offset=2
sub-shadow-color="#A0000000"
sub-spacing=0.5
sub-margin-x=10
sub-margin-y=8

You could probably just get away with adding the sub-margin-y=8 line. Adjust the value of 8 to something higher to move the subs up.

 

Is that also the case for Android TV? If so, that would be good enough for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, saarg said:

Is that also the case for Android TV? If so, that would be good enough for now.

No.  That will not work for Android TV.

We will get to this but it isn't needed by very many people due to what I explained above (the player manages it automatically for properly cropped content).

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, ebr said:

No.  That will not work for Android TV.

We will get to this but it isn't needed by very many people due to what I explained above (the player manages it automatically for properly cropped content).

Cropping is no alternative, as mentioned before. It isn't that many movies that I need the subtitles for, but going through 1000 movies to find those isn't something I plan to do. Cropping it after I start watching it and find out it needs to be cropped, will take too much time until I get to watch the movie and will kill the mood.

I do get that this is a feature that most people will not use, but are we talking 3 more years?

I tested some more here and it seems that the position of the subtitles are embedded in the subtitles data? All movies I have are ripped, so it's the disc subtitles and is shown as PGSSUB in the player. For The girl with the dragon tattoo (UHD), the subtitles was in the picture and not in the black bars, while Parasites had subs in the black bar area ( one line in the picture if two lines of subtitles).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...