Increase height of subtitles or user feature to change position

ShoutingMan
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

aussiedropbear
15 minutes ago, AdrianW said:

I actually prefer subs to be as low as possible - so when there's a single line it's all in the bottom black bar not obscuring any of the image.

That's only good if your running a 16:9 screen. Fur those running scope,  231:1, this is a much needed function. Otherwise you don't get to view the second line of subtitles 

AdrianW
28 minutes ago, aussiedropbear said:

those running scope

Yes, that makes sense. We do need more subtitle options - for placement, size, margins and colour.

• Like 2

FrostByte
59 minutes ago, AdrianW said:

I actually prefer subs to be as low as possible - so when there's a single line it's all in the bottom black bar not obscuring any of the image.

Yes, there are definitely two points of view on where it should be.  I prefer my eyes focused on the middle of the screen.  I don't think anyone believes one line should be in the picture and one line in the black bar though.  That's just hard on the eyes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
kabmat
On 6/15/2022 at 11:24 AM, FrostByte said:

Yes, there are definitely two points of view on where it should be.  I prefer my eyes focused on the middle of the screen.  I don't think anyone believes one line should be in the picture and one line in the black bar though.  That's just hard on the eyes.

ye it would be nice to position the sub into the black bars just so low as possible

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
visproduction

You can adjust the subtitles for all media by adding custom css in settings.  This change would apply for all media.  Be aware that some people's hardware has a fixed Aspect Ratio, if they are watching landscape wide on a phone.  You can possible push the subtitles so far down that it looks fine on a computer monitor but gets lost of a phone.  You need to test your changes on wide phone playback with different Aspect Ratio media.

Am I missing something?  What else did you want to do with the subtitles?  Unfortunately, there is really no way to change the titles differently, for different media.  This custom adjustment changes all subtitles coming from .srt files, but does nothing for embedding subtitles.

.videoPlayerContainer > div > div > div {
    margin-top: 44px; /* positive goes down, negative goes up */
    line-height: 1em; /* usually line-height is about 1.5em, so 1em would be tighter */
    text-shadow: 5px 5px 7px #999; /* right, bottom, blur, color - use negative to go left or up, smaller number for less blur */
    opacity: 0.9; /* 0.5 makes the text 50% transparent. Normally opacity is not used.  1 would be solid */
    font-size: 34px; /* Starting font-size is around 48px */
    color: #FFFF00; /* some subtitle color other than white, this is yellow */
    background-color: #25356e;
    padding: 12px 24px; /* This makes top and bottom 12px, left and right 24px see CSS info for more options */ 
    border: 2px solid #234356;
}

Edited by visproduction
  • Like 2

FrostByte

Thanks, but not sure this will help the OP or myself who want to raise and adjust subtitles in all clients just above the black line which can be different for every movie.

Looks kind of cool in the web client though.

Edited by FrostByte

visproduction

FB,

What black line do you mean?  Is it the bottom of the player, bottom of the viewscreen or where the media stops and a bottom black area starts, which does change per media aspect ratio?  

The CSS margin-top: can push the subtitles down from the standard position.  The only time will run into trouble is when a wide screen has a bottom limit, so you don't want to the subtitles beyond that.  I think a wide mobile phone is going to be the widest hardware anyone will use, so if you adjust to not have subtitles go too far on a phone in wide mode, you will have pushed the subtitles as far down as possible.  I am guessing that is somewhere around 60px.  Why would you need to adjust automatically to some different vertical position?  Putting the subtitles maybe narrowing the line-height will optimize the titles to be as far away as possible from the video content.  Also you probably should be aware that some subtitle content can be programmed to be on top of the media which is usually done when there is a bottom title.  So, moving all the titles downward would cause these upper subtitles to be in the middle of the picture.  If that bothers you, then maybe don't use the margin style and just adjust the color, shadow, line-height and font size.

Hope that makes sense.

• 2 months later...
CAPRICORNX10X

I know it's not possible. 
until i use....
In the new version of powerdvd 22, there is an option to move the position of the subtitles.
I tried it myself.

Hi.  Whether the subs are embedded or not does not affect the ability to adjust their position.  Please go over an example of the issue you are having.

CAPRICORNX10X
59 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Whether the subs are embedded or not does not affect the ability to adjust their position.  Please go over an example of the issue you are having.

No problem at the moment.

Because this feature Does not exist  in the android app or on the web
I just remember in android tv couldn't change position to embedded PGS subtitles

FrostByte

There's already a request to be able to change the position of text based subs in all apps and web clients.   I don't believe you can change the position of PGS subs though because that information is embedded in the file.

Edit:  LOL beat me to it.

Edited by FrostByte

CAPRICORNX10X
Just now, FrostByte said:

There's already a request to be able to change the position of text based subs in all apps and web clients.   I don't believe you can change the position of PGS subs though because that information is embedded in the file.

In powerdvd 22 it is possible

sydlexius
Just now, FrostByte said:

How do I make purdy embedded share previews like this? 😃

sydlexius
Just now, CAPRICORNX10X said:

In powerdvd 22 it is possible

Lots of other players have this capability.  The point is that others before you have a similar need and submitted a request in the (distant) past.  Please support that feature request, as we'd both like to see this implemented! 😎

CAPRICORNX10X
2 minutes ago, sydlexius said:

Lots of other players have this capability.  The point is that others before you have a similar need and submitted a request in the (distant) past.  Please support that feature request, as we'd both like to see this implemented! 😎

hahahah lol the problem is that all my requests are not implemented...
I must have impossible requests :)

• Haha 2

FrostByte

It could be that ebr just didn't enable it for PGS because the position is specified in the file already.  He did the same with ASS, if it's specified, he doesn't allow the movement of them either, but you can move ASS if it's not specified.

FrostByte
1 minute ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

Then you need to stop requesting stuff because I was counting on this one being implemented someday 😂

sydlexius
4 minutes ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

I'm no coder (I script, but I don't think that is anywhere near as challenging), so I have no idea what sort of skills nor man hours are needed to implement such a feature.  Similar to controlling the Y coordinate of the subtitles, I'd love the ability to show them only on a second screen; sort of like opera houses for those folks who neither "Sprechen sie Deutsch" or "Parli Italiano"  :)

Edited by sydlexius
grammar/syntax

CAPRICORNX10X
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Then you need to stop requesting stuff because I was counting on this one being implemented someday 😂

This "someday" .... this is a serious problem bro

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

Actually it's largely thanks to you that we have RTL support now in several apps. We didn't have that a couple months ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CAPRICORNX10X said:

I swear my requests are small
I have no idea why they are not implemented
Maybe Luke doesn't love me :(

Not to be rude, but you're the *only* person I've ever seen show up here, ask for something, and get it immediately.

You *have* gotten special treatment, but you haven't been around long enough to appreciate it. ;)

CAPRICORNX10X
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Actually it's largely thanks to you that we have RTL support now in several apps. We didn't have that a couple months ago.

I agree with you, but what is the wisdom of applying it in 50 percent?
And 50 percent not applied...