Subtitle Encoding Problem with Addon Mode on Kodi 17

buraksahin

buraksahin

Hello,

Just found an interesting problem. I'm using Emby with Kodi over 1.5 years everything is great. But when updated my kodis to Kodi 17 something weird happened. I installed Emby Addon with Addon Mode, subtitles encoding is not working. Turkish characters looks broken. And i thought it was Kodi's problem :) Also wrote on their forums but nothing came up.

Oh i should tell you about my setup first. I'm using my old laptop as HTPC, near my NAS where i keep my all data (Movies, TV). Movies and TV's on network share and i'm using Emby on my laptop as server. I have 3 more client at home using Kodi.

Just ten min. ago i realised, my Kodi on HTPC a video showing broken turkish subtitles but on my gaming pc same video playing turkish subtitles just fine. They are all Kodi 17, same video resources but different results. Checked Kodi's region setting, encoding settings etc. Also put an Arial.ttf with Turkish encoding. Didnt work.

Then i checked addon settings, my gaming pc was using 'Direct Play' but my HTPC using 'Addon Mode'. I reset Emby addon on htpc, reconfigure with 'DirectPlay' and subtitles started working fine again.

I guess its a problem with addon, maybe something with Kodi 17 handling (cus it was working fine with Kodi 16), i dont know but it was because of Addon Mode :)

I checked Kodi and Emby logs but found nothing about subtitle encoding but if you guys want, i can post logs. 

What should it look like? can you provide a sample for testing? if it is external subtitles please zip it up to prevent the forum from changing the encoding. thanks.

• 1 month later...
buraksahin

@@buraksahin, this is resolved for the next release of Emby Server, thanks !

Hello Luke,

I'm sorry to inform you that this problem came back with 3.2.10 version again :) Subtitles encodings are broken again.

Yea it came back because the changes I made caused encoding problems for other users, so I had to revert them. So I have to look at other approaches. Thanks.