Other potential live TV back-ends

kamakamadaun

im85288

Just for information I list the live tv backends and the equivalent OS they can be installed on:

From what I have seen the focus is on Windows backends (though I did see a reference to Tvheadend earlier). For MediaBrowser to succeed out of the Windows world there needs to be backend support that does not run on Windows.

1.1 Linux
Name	  DVB	ATSC / QAM	ISDB	DTMB	CableCard (US)	IPTV	
Tvheadend Yes	Yes	?	?	Yes[1]	Yes[1]	Yes[2]
VDR	  Yes	Yes	?	?	Yes	Yes	w.i.p.[3]
MythTV	  Yes	Yes	No	No	Yes[4]	Yes[4]	Yes

1.2 Mac OS X
Name	 DVB	ATSC / QAM	ISDB	DTMB	CableCard (US)	IPTV	
MythTV	 Yes	Yes	 No	 No	Yes[4]	Yes[4]	Yes

1.3 Windows
ARGUS TV	Yes	Yes	?	?	?	?	Yes
DVBLink	Yes	?	?	?	?	?	?
NextPVR	Yes	Yes	?	Yes	Yes[4]	Yes[4]	Yes
MediaPortal	Yes	Yes	?	?	?	?	Yes
ServerWMC	Yes	Yes	?	?	Yes	Yes	Yes

Edited by im85288

Did you also see the reaction from tvheadend? It will also require the will from that side to be cross-platform.

Btw, DVBLink supports IP tv and seems SAT>IP is missing from the tables.

Edited by Danee

im85288

Thanks It was just a copy and paste and meant to show the backends that are out there.

I did see the reaction from tvheadend and although mostly negative it did say he would be willing to help someone else do it. I wasn't sure of the comment regarding the platform so interpreted that as meaning media browser is windows os focused. This was a problem for me too, but now the OSX and Linux servers are close to being available (I have been using it on OSX for well over a month now) it may give some more leeway to approach them again. In addition to that with Live TV in the pipeline for the Roku client one day that may add to the pull factor. 

Hopefully someone here will decide to create a plugin for tvheadend and approach the tvheadend devs for assistance where needed. There's more than just the one who commented on the initial request so all is not lost.

Thanks It was just a copy and paste and meant to show the backends that are out there.

I did see the reaction from tvheadend and although mostly negative it did say he would be willing to help someone else do it. I wasn't sure of the comment regarding the platform so interpreted that as meaning media browser is windows os focused. This was a problem for me too, but now the OSX and Linux servers are close to being available (I have been using it on OSX for well over a month now) it may give some more leeway to approach them again. In addition to that with Live TV in the pipeline for the Roku client one day that may add to the pull factor. 

Hopefully someone here will decide to create a plugin for tvheadend and approach the tvheadend devs for assistance where needed. There's more than just the one who commented on the initial request so all is not lost.

Yea, give it another shot once the linux and osx releases are up on the website. until then best to lay low on it.

Just for information I list the live tv backends and the equivalent OS they can be installed on:

From what I have seen the focus is on Windows backends (though I did see a reference to Tvheadend earlier). For MediaBrowser to succeed out of the Windows world there needs to be backend support that does not run on Windows.

1.1 Linux

1.2 Mac OS X

1.3 Windows
DVBLink	Yes	?	?	?	?	?	?

You must add that Argus TV support old analog TV

Yes it is windows based but there was never a decision made where we said hey, let's just worry about windows back ends for now. We take what we can get and so far that's what we've been able tor recruit.

Logos302

Yes it is windows based but there was never a decision made where we said hey, let's just worry about windows back ends for now. We take what we can get and so far that's what we've been able tor recruit.

yeah I just read our original message a little wrong.  Took it as no work was being done at all.

kamakamadaun

1.1 Linux

1.2 Mac OS X

1.3 Windows
DVBLink	Yes	?	?	?	?	?	?

Tvheadend does QAM. I have it running on a beaglebone black. It makes one hell of a low-powered PVR.

im85288

Yes I agree Tvheadend is an awesome backend. Best one I have used hands down.

for features DVBViewer is the best I've used by a mile, and you left that off the list.

The only issue with that was the UI.

Only needs a SAT>IP plugin making too as support is there already...

And having said that anyone with the knowhow want to look at this???

http://www.satip.info/resources

seems to be where all the SAT>IP dev resources are. I have no clue about software development though unfortunately....

Now that we have live tv roku development going on, you guys should go over to all of those communities and post the teaser screenshots. Persistence pays off. Look what happened here:

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?54259-Media-Browser-Integration&p=472056#post472056

As we keep growing, those developers will reconsider.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the go ahead to stick something in the sat4fun forum regarding development of one of the many Linux satellite boxes as a backend... Just need a bit of time. Hopefully tomoz. Will post links up when it's done.

Sent by my HTC8X using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Good news guys. The next pvr version is just about ready to go. At this point it's only waiting on the next release of next pvr.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been VERY busy at work so never got round to this.. the mods forewarned me regarding my posting so it is very brief and a little hidden but I've asked the question about Linux satellite boxes as backend HERE

http://www.sat4fun.co.uk/showthread.php?150835-MediaBrowser-3-use-linux-satellite-box-as-TV-Back-end&p=415625#post415625

breedalot

sorry, I may have missed something but what about media portal sever support via MP extended, I cant find a mention of this in the forum or anywhere else. Has this been explored? 

there is a mediaportal plugin which uses MBserver. I guess they don't want to go the other way as it's taking their userbase away!

Who is they? I'm fine with MP as a tv back-end for us. Armand said he might consider looking into it.

Can you go in our MP thread and ask Armand about it again? I think with a little nudge he can be convinced.

I would assume mediaportal would be fine using the server but all else surely takes their users away?

Just going to bed I'll ask tomoz..

I assume u meant me?!?!