Other potential live TV back-ends

kamakamadaun

Tvheadend is good, but VDR is my preference.

I've heard good things about it and bad things over time, I think the bad is that it's quite a puzzle to install, but once working it should be solid. I think VDR must be one of those few of possible only windows and linux tv-backends I've not testet in the past 10+ years. And in my experience everyone has a flaw, I guess that's why I'm allways on the lookout for better alternatives. When it comes to tvheadend I find it excellent, mostly because of simplicity and stability, especially compared to windows alternatives. The one flaw I've found in tvheadend is the advanced schedueling options, I find them rather poor and not working great. What are the advantages of VDR over Tvheadend, as it seems you have experience with both ?

Edited by KRA

franky384

What are the advantages of VDR over Tvheadend, as it seems you have experience with both ?

The greatest advantage is the abillity to install plugins, you can choose what you want or not. It has different streaming servers you can install as plugin and that give you access from win, linux, mac and android. There is also support for oscam to share your pay tv subscriptions to all devices in your home network. There are great plugins to easily manage your recordings and so on...

politby

Tvheadend is good, but VDR is my preference.

That's the most godawful UI I've ever seen ;)

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

franky384

That's the most godawful UI I've ever seen ;)

Don't know what you mean, there are several Interfaces to choose from inside vdr. Or try the vdr-plugin-live for example to plan your recordings.

politby

This

osm1.jpg

Of course the UI is going to be completely irrelevant if VDR is used as an engine behind MB. I just had to comment because this looks so hideous ;)

Straight out of 60s Star Trek.

--

There are two kinds of people. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

Edited by politby
  • Like 1

blublub

Hi

I have been using VDR year until 2013. It was very reliable and did have good features including Unicable support.

So I think it would be a very good TV server especially with the new available OMV plugin as VDR runs on linux as well.

puithove

I'd like to vote for MythTV.  I've found it to be a very solid and reliable backend with strong custom recording/scheduling rulesets.  Most importantly though is the built-in support for HDHomerun and CableCard matched up with built-in support for SchedulesDirect for EPG info.  LiveTV has admittedly been a little quirky for me, but I attribute that more to my frontend being Kodi PVR rather than any systemic issue with the backend.

Backend runs well on both Linux and OSX.

The other Linux backend options aren't able to do CableCard with the HDHomeRun Prime.  I see that TVHeadend has very recently added native libhdhomerun support, but that's only in ATSC mode here in the 'states - it's not able to tune the virtual channel numbers needed to activate the CableCard.

Edited by puithove

• 2 weeks later...