New vertical series view

Jack Burton

Guest asrequested

There will eventually be settings for sizes. Also the header will later slide away when scrolling, and the full vertical space will be utilized.

I look forward to the end result.

• Like 2

AdrianW

P.S. @@Luke:  I liked the colored backgrounds that matched the dominant color in the poster. Any way to bring that back?

Please don't unless it's optional. Those coloured backgrounds take up *way* too much real estate for very little benefit. 

Some views still have the same layout but just the colour has been removed - I just don't see the need for a text title movie underneath a poster that almost always also includes the title.

Although - it would be useful in some libraries and folders - those that contain foreign movies. That's a place where vertical is worse than horizontal scrolling - with horizontal we always got a popup logo / title at the bottom of the screen for the currently selected item.

@@Luke - when you get around to having options, please allow different libraries (and hopefully also folders) to have different views. So, I could have titles underneath posters for foreign libraries and not for English language content.

Edited by AdrianW

khodges747

Please don't unless it's optional. Those coloured backgrounds take up *way* too much real estate for very little benefit.

Actually I don't think they take up any real estate at all. It's just that instead of a black background, you have a colored one. It adds a little color to the tableau, but doesn't take up any space.

To each his own...

The colored backgrounds don't add or subtract to the amount of space utilized underneath the image (compared to plain text), but they might create the perception of taking up more space.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I would ultimately expect the same view settings that you see in the web app.

If we get these options and cover resizing in theater, that would be great

58c2259896909_Untitled02.png

• Like 2

AdrianW

The colored backgrounds don't add or subtract to the amount of space utilized underneath the image (compared to plain text), but they might create the perception of taking up more space.

The issue isn't the colour - it's the text underneath that's taking up the space.

I prefer "poster" over "poster card" in nearly all situations in ET.

• Like 1

damo77

Hi all,

Is there a way to get the information to display as you scroll through each movie in this new vertical view? I am really missing being able to see the runtime, rating etc without having to actually select the movie.

Cheers,

Damo

• Like 1

puithove

Hi all,

Is there a way to get the information to display as you scroll through each movie in this new vertical view? I am really missing being able to see the runtime, rating etc without having to actually select the movie.

Cheers,

Damo

Yea, I agree.  I'm liking the vertical view because you can move through more movies more quickly vs. the horizontal (6 per click, instead of 2) - plus PgUp / PgDown actually work.  However, I do certainly miss the little bit of info that was available without having to go into the details screen.

Edited by puithove

What would you guys suggest? We could carve out space at the bottom for info about the selected item. Or we could do a bubble similar to Roku.

I think the bubble stuff doesn't look very good.

If we do an area for information, can we make it the top instead so it is consistent with Android TV?  Even though that scrolls horizontally so the toolbar is not relevant, we could have a consistent area for the current item info.

58c597d275073_moviegrid.png

• Like 3

For this app it would have to be at the bottom because we're going to have the header slide away when scrolling, to reclaim all of the vertical real estate.

Additionally, we need a place to display what Folder you're currently browsing in, so that would be the traditional top left.

arrbee99

Think it would be nice to leave at least the home screen horizontal.

However, if its going vertical it would be nice if the Movie logo could also be retained - lets use that artwork people ....

58c5b06a9e852_ETMovieLogo.jpg

• Like 1

Chillout

I like the new look of ET being vertical scrolling.  Kind of annoying I cannot use the mouse wheel while the cursor is on the left #,A.B.C... bar.  Being able to scroll in the EPG guide by pressing the mouse wheel is a nice tradeoff to using a scroll bar like in the Desktop mode.

Still a couple things holding me back from ET being my WMC replacement.. i really want to upgrade to Win10 so hopefully these come soon:

1. Live TV time shifting (including +30/-15sec commerical skip)

2. Recording button option while watching live or time shifted TV

3. TV Series recording manager 

puithove

What would you guys suggest? We could carve out space at the bottom for info about the selected item. Or we could do a bubble similar to Roku.

Yea, not crazy about bubbles.

I'm not either, I was just presenting it as an option for discussion in case someone wanted to vouch for it.

AdrianW

So, if the details end up being shown at the bottom - will that be overlaying the bottom row of posters (on one side or the other) or will a section of the screen be reserved for the info?

If space is reserved then it would have the same affect as having it at the top (and leaving the menu visible) - the same amount of scroll space would be used up.

Well that's the trade-off of showing details vs. not showing them, is that we have to carve out space for it.

AdrianW

Well that's the trade-off of showing details vs. not showing them, is that we have to carve out space for it.

That's fine. So I think ebr's idea is a good one - it just uses the already available space at the top of the screen, and it also means you don't have to slide the header out of view. You'll still have the same amount of space visible for the scrollable area.

In this app we can't do it at the top, see my previous comments on why. Ebr and I are discussing it as well. I think the context title is what belongs at the top (the folder you're in). The bottom is what should be used for selection. In that space we could also have the numeric indicator if we wanted.

Think of the old Neo MB2 theme. It did a great job at this.

One possibility to maximize real estate would be to hide it, and then slide it up into view when you pause on an item for say a second or so.

• Like 2

khodges747

I like the idea of having it on a slight delay. It would work well when I navigate with the remote, or on my PC with the mouse.

• Like 1