New vertical series view

Jack Burton

Jack Burton

Noticed the new view last night, and I think I like it. Takes some getting used to since ET has looked the same for so long, and even though it fits 2 less posters on the page (12 vs 14 for horizontal), it gives the impression of more. The view takes up some wasted space and looks pretty sharp. Are there plans to make the same view for movies and music?

One issue to report: Favorites is gone, and just links to suggestions. Otherwise, good job, looks sharp!

Deathsquirrel

I'm not a fan of vertical scrolling but it does run smoothly.

It needs to stop scrolling when I run out of titles.  Right now I can keep scrolling down a looooong way past being out of shows.

AdrianW

One issue to report: Favorites is gone, and just links to suggestions. Otherwise, good job, looks sharp!

Just wait a day or two, Favourites will come back - it's something to do with chromium caching.

The Vertical / Horizontal choice should be put in the hands of the users - not forced down our throats. There's so much space under Settings / Default Skin which could be filled with useful options like this.

• Like 1

There's so much space under Settings / Default Skin which could be filled with useful options like this.

There is space, it will just take time to get there.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes vertical is the general app direction in order to achieve more consistency with our other TV apps. Specifically, if you check out the Live TV section how it has lots of categories vertically with each category scrolling horizontally, that's just something that the horizontal layouts can't accommodate.

The best thing to do is always leave feedback on the built in web app, rather than avoiding doing so if you're not using the app. If you see something there then most likely it is going to be spreading to all of our apps. Thanks !

arrbee99

It would be good if that infinite scrolling could be polished off, think its been there since day 1 of ET.

Hopefully at some point the options at the top - Suggestions, etc, will be locked.

What do you mean locked?

arrbee99

What do you mean locked?

Think Suggestions Series Upcoming Favorites should be locked at the top, like the alpha picker is locked at the side (and the search and time is locked at the top), so that you can click on Favorites (or whatever) without having to scroll all the way back to the beginning to see it again.

• Like 1

Think Suggestions Series Upcoming Favorites should be locked at the top, like the alpha picker is locked at the side (and the search and time is locked at the top), so that you can click on Favorites (or whatever) without having to scroll all the way back to the beginning to see it again.

Just played with this, go all the way to the right and you jump back to the top, seems like a proper solution. I just wish I could set it to display more shows on the screen like with desktop setting on. My screen is large enough I don't need things zoomed in so far.

arrbee99

Just played with this, go all the way to the right and you jump back to the top, seems like a proper solution. I just wish I could set it to display more shows on the screen like with desktop setting on. My screen is large enough I don't need things zoomed in so far.

Not sure what you mean by the 'go all the way to the right and you jump back to the top' bit. Is that under Movies (horizontal scrolling) or TV (vertical scrolling) ?

arrbee99

Must admit, think I prefer the horizontal scrolling, works fine and is just a little bit different. Everything, even Word (obviously), does vertical.

....as a compromise I would like to suggest diagonal scrolling  :)

Not sure what you mean by the 'go all the way to the right and you jump back to the top' bit. Is that under Movies (horizontal scrolling) or TV (vertical scrolling) ?

On TV with the vertical, if you need to get back to the top categories quickly from within the list just hit your arrows all the way to the right, but if you are using mouse then idk what to tell ya its a pain with mouse.

arrbee99

On TV with the vertical, if you need to get back to the top categories quickly from within the list just hit your arrows all the way to the right, but if you are using mouse then idk what to tell ya its a pain with mouse.

Oh I see. Thanks for that. Possibly not too intuitive though, Locking would be better in my unbiased opinion.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I just use the mouse wheel but clicking on the # in the selector on the left will move you to the top. 

Funnily, the Del key will take you to the end of the series list. However the Home key returns you to the main TV screen instead of the top of the list. PageUp and PageDown work okay.

Though, I can no longer select libraries with a mouse click so the app is just good for television now. Up Arrow skips the Suggestions, Series, Upcoming, Favorites line on television for me. Goes from A in the picker to Search.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

AdrianW

I'm still not sold on vertical scrolling - at least with the current poster sizes. I can't even see a full two rows of posters - the middle row is OK, but the top row has the tops cut off and the bottom row has the bottoms cut off. 

Luke, when you hopefully get around to adding options (vertical vs horizontal) - please consider adding another option to change poster size (maybe small / medium / large).

• Like 3

Guest asrequested

I do think the posters are way too big! I understand that in tv mode they are going to be big, but they got BIGGER! If there were an option to choose the scale, that would be fabulous! If not, they need to be reduced by 33 to 50%

As an example. Two screenshots, using the same capture window size

How they were                                                                       And how they are now

58b2547763f62_Snapshot_500.jpg     58b254d4b1289_Snapshot_501.jpg

AdrianW

you should soon be able to see two rows of posters. 7 posters per row.

I'm getting 7 across - but the tops of the top row and the bottoms of the bottom row are still cut off. I guess it's not too bad - but 8 posters across would be better.

And if the top menu becomes sticky even more would be cut off.

-edit-

The latest change has decreased the poster size slightly and increased the gap size:huh:

58b2748c29c8d_7across.jpg

Edited by AdrianW

yea that's why i don't want it sticky. Ultimately I would like it to be like the web app where it slides in and out, including the main header. then you will have the best of both worlds for remote / mouse usage. and then when you scroll the entire vertical screen will be available.

Guest asrequested

One minor quirk. The alpha picker is reading The Blacklist as "T". It's sorted under "B", so if you click "T" it takes you to "B". It works correctly in the web app.

Edited by Doofus

Can we have the images wrap to the screen size on the All Series / Suggestions page please. Using a mouse you can't scroll to the right to see the offscreen images.