New vertical series view

Jack Burton

arrbee99

I guess the smaller the posters become, the more beneficial white space is for tracking.

ShoutingMan

This showed up last night in my ET. My initial reaction is very positive. It seems to use the space very well and makes for a good 10' interface! Good job!

Guest asrequested

An issue with the alpha picker clicking 'T'. Also, when we pick a letter, shouldn't the shows beginning with that letter start at the top row, not the bottom. Hopefully it's clear enough in the GIF.

58ba09bf31849_Capture_19.gif

Edited by Doofus

arrbee99

Is there a reason the number of items for each Genre is limited to ten - is it just temporary ?

Will we able to scroll left / right by holding down the Shift key (or whatever) and using the mouse wheel ?

This showed up last night in my ET. My initial reaction is very positive. It seems to use the space very well and makes for a good 10' interface! Good job!

Thanks for the feedback.

mws1047

This thread seems to have many subtopics.  I'll add one more that relates to this new view vertical view.

I have a large collection.   I frequently search via IMBD rating and year.  How do I do that now?

If I could I'd like to search via actor and director.

• Like 1

soundsnake8

The first couple times I used Vertical scrolling with Emby for Media Center (way back when) I didn't care for it. It didn't take me long though to thoroughly appreciate it ! There are more covers visible and it scrolls very fast, for me it makes the experience extremely pleasant. THANKS FOR MAKING IT AVAILABLE IN EMBY THEATER !

AdrianW

If I could I'd like to search via actor and director.

Search will already return results for any people (actors, directors, writers, etc) - just click search and type in their name.

mws1047

Search will already return results for any people (actors, directors, writers, etc) - just click search and type in their name.

Yes that is a capable work around, but it would be nice to have specific control buttons as we once had.

khodges747

Yes that is a capable work around, but it would be nice to have specific control buttons as we once had.

In the Cast & Crew section of any movie or episode, clicking on a person's picture/name will bring up a list of everything in your library for that person (below the bio info).

But I agree with you that before, when genres and years were links, it was easier to search large collections in different ways.

• Like 1

mws1047

With the new vertical scrolling I'm getting quite stressed at not being able to browse my Movies category by Year and IMDB rating. I use Emby as a HTPC onto a large TV.  I rarely use desktop, web or IOS method of viewing.

tend to browse my collection to find what I might like to watch at the time.  The search function is relatively unimportant to me. 

I see some reverences to the web client being the target user interface.  I'm wondering if my ET is displaying the control buttons that it should be.  

The web client for Movies has heading control buttons - Suggestions Movies Trailers Collections Genres Studios, and has a second heading row of buttons with control arrows, view configuration, sort, filter.  This second row provides a great deal of control.  It's very satisfying for the way I use my HTPC.  But I don't use the web client.

My ET app for Movies has heading control buttons - Suggestions Movies Unwatched Favorites Collections Genres.  There is no second row of buttons.

Is my implementation of ET missing something by not having the second row of control buttons?  Is this just a short term issue to be fixed in the next release?  I hope this functionality will return soon.

Apologies if I seem to be naive here.  I've used a HTPC configuration for very many years and I've got to the stage of having a mature system in a setup and forget stage. I don't monitory the day to day iterations any longer.  

• Like 1

@@mws1047, it sounds like your issue is more about the tabs that are now missing and not the vertical vs horizontal question. is that correct? I do plan to restore those tabs, FYI.

What I plan to do is quickly restore those tabs just to give you the feature back, but in the long term, once we have that second row of buttons with sorting, filtering etc, then the tabs may go away again because you'll be able to accomplish the same thing via sorting. But we'll decide on that later once we have those things.

Does that answer your question?

Guest asrequested

You should be getting 6 per row

Sorry, yes 6. But they just got huge again. It was like it is in desktop mode, which is much better.

We have so many movies, only having 12 on the screen at one time is far too few.

58c0fec10ef6a_Untitled.png

Edited by Doofus

AdrianW

We have so many movies, only having 12 on the screen at one time is far too few.

Wait until you go to the Genre view and only get to see 6 full posters at a time!

Jack Burton

I'm a fan of the 6 across larger posters. For me if the gaps between posters was reduced it would look perfect. I'd rather have a total of 18 posters onscreen to focus on than 21-28

• Like 1

khodges747

I'm a fan of the 6 across larger posters. For me if the gaps between posters was reduced it would look perfect. I'd rather have a total of 18 posters onscreen to focus on than 21-28

I agree with Jack. Six across is good for me.

But this is never going to be solved for everyone until the user can configure the UI to his own preferences. Skins are the way to go, but Luke has been "advertising" for someone with the proper skill set to do skins for months. Nothing yet.

P.S. @Luke:  I liked the colored backgrounds that matched the dominant color in the poster. Any way to bring that back?

Guest asrequested

Well that ruins it. 6 across is horrible. The posters are ridiculously big. I feel like a child in special ed using teaching aids. It's bad enough that if it stays like that I'll definitely do something different

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

PrincessClevage

I agree with Jack. Six across is good for me.

But this is never going to be solved for everyone until the user can configure the UI to his own preferences. Skins are the way to go, but Luke has been "advertising" for someone with the proper skill set to do skins for months. Nothing yet.

P.S. @Luke: I liked the colored backgrounds that matched the dominant color in the poster. Any way to bring that back?

perhaps it's time to start thinking about revenue models and employing additional developers? Would changing from free offerings to a 30 day trial hard cut off and advertise for six month prior to the transition attract more revenue or be an acceptable approach? Just putting it out for discussion Edited by PrincessClevage

Well that ruins it. 6 across is horrible. The posters are ridiculously big. I feel like a child in special ed using teaching aids. It's bad enough that if it stays like that I'll definitely do something different

You're using a mouse. Desktop mode is a great choice for you.

Guest asrequested

You're using a mouse. Desktop mode is a great choice for you.

Did you see the size of the text in the screenshot? It's tiny. It would need to be the same as TV mode and the scroll bars would need to be much thicker. These are just a few issues that desktop mode has when using a big screen TV.

Guest asrequested

Wait until you go to the Genre view and only get to see 6 full posters at a time!

This seems to be how its gonna be, now. It isn't acceptable to me. It's way oversized, and desktop is unusable in its present state. I have to say, theater has never been worse than it is right now. It's a total mess. I was waiting to see what it was going to be like once all the UI changes were finalized, but I'm really not liking where it's going. Much more of this and I'll have to find a different player. The music player isn't progressing at all. Usability has taken a major dive.

• Like 1

There will eventually be settings for sizes. Also the header will later slide away when scrolling, and the full vertical space will be utilized.

• Like 1