New vertical series view

Jack Burton

arrbee99

There's still a weird issue with "T": put the selector on the alphabet and press down to move between the letters - when you reach "T" it scrolls all the way to the top and then press down again (on to "U") and it scrolls all the way back down again.

And when I go to all TV with the alpha picker It defaults to T (the T is highlighted).

arrbee99

I quite like the big gaps. Bit less of a wall. Not saying this to annoy everyone, that's just a happy coincidence  :D

• Like 1

I've restored the small gaps on the home screen for now, but as you can probably guess, once all of the interior sections have changed, it will be time for the home screen to change as well.

AdrianW

I've restored the small gaps on the home screen for now, but as you can probably guess, once all of the interior sections have changed, it will be time for the home screen to change as well.

So, it sounds like another config item is required. Many MB2 themes had configurable gaps. 

• Like 1

AdrianW

OK - so the new Genre view is not bad at all. It makes good use of the vertical + sideways scrolling mechanism (similar to search results) - BUT why keep using the colour cards? They're just not required and significantly reduce the visible posters - only one and a half rows !

Please remove colour cards ENTIRELY from ET - in the WebUI they're an option for those that like them, but in ET we don't have that choice.

I know you like them Luke, and in themselves the look good - but they're just not adding anything useful to ET. 

• The colour cards need to go.
  • The gaps need reducing to around 2 pixels.
  • The posters should be reduced in size to fit 8 across the screen.
Edited by AdrianW
  • Like 1

AdrianW

Compare the difference between ET and Netflix at the same screen size - which do you think would be most people's preference?

ET

58b7f793c006f_1ET.jpg

Netflix:

58b7f7ac559c2_2Netflix.jpg

• Like 4

aspdend

Compare the difference between ET and Netflix at the same screen size - which do you think would be most people's preference?

ET

58b7f793c006f_1ET.jpg

Netflix:

58b7f7ac559c2_2Netflix.jpg

Gotta say that the Netflix view is much nicer and cleaner imho

• Like 1

IMO the Netflix view is too busy.  Too much information to try and take in at once.

If you are just looking at wallpaper, maybe it looks cool.  But, if you are trying to actually comprehend what you are looking at, it is much harder.

Maybe there is a happy medium...

Also, that is Netflix in a desktop browser, right?  It doesn't look like that on TV presentations.  The items are much bigger...

• Like 2

khodges747

Personally I like the vertical view as it stands and agree with ebr that the Netflix page is way too busy. 

What we really need are some nice skins that allow people to pick and choose among various options for displaying content. For some reason that doesn't seem to be happening.

• Like 1

AdrianW

Also, that is Netflix in a desktop browser, right?  It doesn't look like that on TV presentations.  The items are much bigger...

That's the Win 10 Netflix app running fullscreen at 1920x1080.

There's only 6 fully visible posters on that ET screen! Maybe it's because Luke hasn't finished tweaking it yet - but 16 full posters could easily be shown there, perhaps even 24.

In MB2 many of the skins allowed for three rows of posters, and that's how I configured my larger libraries.

Edited by AdrianW

That's the Win 10 Netflix app running fullscreen at 1920x1080.

Right - that's meant for a computer or tablet for close-up viewing.  Their TV-based presentations look a lot more like what we have in ours (which is bigger items).

What we really need are some nice skins that allow people to pick and choose among various options for displaying content. For some reason that doesn't seem to be happening.

Correct, and ultimately, that's where we'll end up.

AdrianW

Right - that's meant for a computer or tablet for close-up viewing.  Their TV-based presentations look a lot more like what we have in ours (which is bigger items).

But that's what I'm using on my TV - and I'm sure most people with an HTPC will be doing the same. My TV is big, even those Netflix size posters are plenty big enough to see from across the room.

Are you saying you're happy with having only SIX posters visible at a time? 

arrbee99

I like the coloured bars along the bottom. Though would also be happy for them to be optional, as in the web app.

arrbee99

If you wanted to fit more info vertically  in the Genres tab, maybe you could write the genre name vertically down the left hand side.

Might look a bit weird and it would hardly be consistent with other stuff, but might be worth a mock up  for a look see ?

James

hmm... sure hope that vertical / horizontal becomes an option. Really not sold on the new vertical wall. The lack of whitespace feels cluttered to me. also if you go arrow left or right once to many your thrown back to the top.

• Like 1

James

James, where do you think there is a lack of whitespace?

everywhere, its just a wall of posters. The genre layout feels better with the spacing between sections. 

I am increasing the spacing and correcting the left/right keypress problems, so please let me know what you think. Thanks.

aspdend

@khodges is correct - the configurability of multiple skins is the key - then anyone who doesn't like the default can play around and configure it how we like...

• Like 1

AdrianW

James, where do you think there is a lack of whitespace?

He's obviously not looking at the same screens as me.  :huh:

IMO there is *way* too much white space. A wall of posters would be ideal for me.

AdrianW

One issue with the Genre view which doesn't have to do with design - it contains a combination of all the same type libraries.

i.e. I have the following "TV" type libraries: TV, Adrian TV, Cartoons and Anime - if I go to the Genre tab in any of those libraries I get so see content from all four mixed together.

Same thing is happening to my multiple "movie" type libraries.

Edited by AdrianW

Kernel32

I admit, I'm not a fan of this view at all.  I realize the product needs to evolve and I appreciate the effort you take to bring the product to us.  I only wish there were options to enable/disable views, options, etc for us contrarians.  

Are you saying you're happy with having only SIX posters visible at a time? 

Maybe there is a happy medium...

James

I am increasing the spacing and correcting the left/right keypress problems, so please let me know what you think. Thanks.

left/right is fixed. somehow i feel a touch more space between rows would be beneficial.

@@adrian

whitespace is the golden rule of publishing / UI (and to a lesser extent) UX design. some feel it's wasted space but in reality it helps the eye track location and give importance to the target thus improving usability.

but then again maybe that's my personal bias

• Like 1