Emby has lost my music metadata

Pitchshift

CharleyVarrick

hi @@Pitchshift, we don't have a pure export function, but if you refresh an artist manually it will save metadata using your new settings. Then what you can do is use the metadata manager to refresh from a top level folder. It will take a little while and there is currently no progress monitor when doing that, but it will do the trick. thanks.

I'm not sure this top level refresh works. If its related and can help pinpoint a bug, see: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43707-music-artist-bio/

Pitchshift

what do you think is missing?

could you show an image of your artist folder?

I'll show some image examples (I have given examples in previous posts in this thread).

Here is my artist folder for Braintax, this only has an artist.nfo file in there.

58b5b18815c57_Braintax.jpg

Here is my artist folder for Akala, this has an artist.nfo and a fanart.jpg file in there.

58b5b1d79ae41_Akala.jpg

Here is the artist folder for Rebel MC (Congo Natty), this has an artist.nfo, fanart.jpg and folder.jpg. This is how I want all my artist folders to look like.

58b5b23f386b5_RebelMC.jpg

None of my music artists in Emby have missing images so why are they not showing in the artist folder when "Save artwork and metadata into media folders" option is enabled? I have gone back through each artist and saved them individually, plus tried from a top down level, neither has helped. I am paranoid that with each new Emby server release it will loose all my metadata again. I need to know I will not loose another 6 hours work.

Edited by Pitchshift

Hi @@Pitchshift

Did you verify/change if needed the setting @@Luke mentions in #11 in this thread?  If the art shows up in emby, check your \metadata\artists folder.  I needed to make that change. As I was having some created there despite the  "Save artwork and metadata into media folders" once I did that everything is working as expected.

Pitchshift

Hi @@Pitchshift

Did you verify/change if needed the setting @@Luke mentions in #11 in this thread?  If the art shows up in emby, check your \metadata\artists folder.  I needed to make that change. As I was having some created there despite the  "Save artwork and metadata into media folders" once I did that everything is working as expected.

@@Vicpa - Yes, I set the value EnableSimpleArtistDetection to false within system.xml config file.

Hi

I don't know of other places where they could be stored, sorry... I guess we need someone else to chime in.

I apologize but unfortunately without having enabled saving to local metadata your older edits might not be recoverable.

Pitchshift

I apologize but unfortunately without having enabled saving to local metadata your older edits might not be recoverable.

@@Luke - I know I have lost all my data, if you read my previous posts I said I have updated all my metadata again. The issue now is I want to prevent it from happening again so I have enabled "Save artwork and metadata into media folders" but not all metadata is showing in my artist folders. Please can you read my previous posts and provide help with new issue I am facing? Should I start a new thread to make the issue clearer?

Happy2Play

"Save artwork and metadata into media folders"

This only applies to newly added media, everything else will not save to folders without Refreshing the media as the information is either stored directly to the database or somewhere else.

Edited by Happy2Play

Pitchshift

This only applies to newly added media, everything else will not save to folders without Refreshing the media as the information is either stored directly to the database or somewhere else.

As mentioned previously, I have since gone back through my artists and tried to refresh individually and from a top level - it made no difference.

Edited by Pitchshift

CharleyVarrick

When you refresh individual item (one that's missing art), do you put a checkmark to replace existing images?

Pitchshift

When you refresh individual item (one that's missing art), do you put a checkmark to replace existing images?

No. At least 40% of the 250 artists in my library had images not found from the scraper so I uploaded my own so doing this would loose my work. None of my current artists in Emby have missing artwork, they either have artwork that was scraped or that I uploaded myself. Am I going to have to go back through each artist and find these images and upload them again to get them sitting in my artist folders? Please don't tell me this is the case as it took my 6 hours to fix the original issue of Emby loosing my metadata from their update.

Can someone please tell me how I get the artist images that are currently in my Emby library to save into my artist folders?

Edited by Pitchshift

CharleyVarrick

Can someone please tell me how I get the artist images that are currently in my Emby library to save into my artist folders?

I had kind of similar issue a while back with Network logo images, and I was told Emby treats images differently whether they're found by Emby itself (thru Edit image) or if they are user added (like you're doing). The later (user added) do not show up in the former (Edit image). Never understood why. I'll try to dig up this thread if it can help pinpoint things for you.

EDIT: Here's the thread I was refering to, its a little long and refer to network logo, but near the end, Luke hops in and confirm the different treatment to user added picture (local) vs Emby's (global)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42811-mediatvnetwork-odd-display/

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1

Pitchshift

@@Luke @ebr 

With "Save metadata with the media" enabled, if you use the web app to upload a new image for an artist, does it save that image in the artist folder?

Pitchshift

With "Save metadata with the media" enabled, if you use the web app to upload a new image for an artist, does it save that image in the artist folder?

I've just done a test and it does. How do I get it to save the current images I have uploaded? Or alternatively how do I access those images so I can re-upload them?

Okay, so the issue must be that you did the initial image updates before that option was set.

@@Happy2Play - any suggestions here on how he can hunt down the images?  Perhaps your check the url for the id trick...?

Happy2Play

With music there is only two location I have seen this information in.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists

or

Your music location C:\Media-Test\Music\AC-DC

Pitchshift

With music there is only two location I have seen this information in.

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists

or

Your music location C:\Media-Test\Music\AC-DC

My \metadata\artists folder within appdata is empty. Is there any other locations these images could be? Or if it's possible to extract them from the database?

Happy2Play

So none of the Artists that appear in Emby point to /metadata/artists?  I find that rather odd since almost every additional artist/various artist should be in there.

No images go into the database.  If you have images that are not in one of those two places, I am not sure where it would be.

Happy2Play

You have shown screenshots of folder view, how about the web client view for a artist and edit info for that artist.

Pitchshift

Here's a screenshot of my /metadata/artists folder.

58c1ba5c503fc_Capture.jpg

Here's a screenshot of an artist.

58c1bb099ad7f_Capture.jpg