Emby has lost my music metadata

Pitchshift

Pitchshift

Emby server Version: Version 3.2.0.0

When I first installed Emby server I had to manually enter metadata for 100's of music artist the scraper was unable to find. Today Emby has lost all that metadata! Please help me recover it as I do not want to spend all that time inputting the information all over again.

Pitchshift

I still have the metadata synced to install of Kodi for my Raspberry Pi using the Emby Kodi addon. Is there a way I can get this metadata back from that? It's stored on an SD card.

Edited by Pitchshift

Pitchshift

When I go into the Emby server metadata manager and check images for all of my music artists it shows there is no images! Please help.

I think you have either a permissions problem or possibly a hardware issue:

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\metadata\artists\Birds of Tokyo\folder.jpg'

Pitchshift

How can I resolve it? Navigating to that area, should all those folders contain the artwork I uploaded for each artist? Loads of it is missing. How has Emby managed to wipe all the manual data I inputted?

Pitchshift

Looking at the folders within that area, the modified date is today at 13:03. It looks like Emby server has deleted all my metadata! How has it done this, it took me hours to input all that data because the scraper can't find nearly 50% of the artists in my music collection.

Once you have Emby Server 3.2.1, please try shutting down the server. Then locate the server's system.xml config file. Set the value EnableSimpleArtistDetection to false.

Hopefully that gets you squared away again. I was hoping we'd be able to just change everyone over to the newer artist methods but I think for the time being it will continue to be best to limit it to new installs only. Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Pitchshift

I've followed your instructions, it's fixed the metadata manager section now but my metadata I spent hours manually entering for my artists is missing. How can I recover that info?

Pitchshift

Once you have Emby Server 3.2.1, please try shutting down the server. Then locate the server's system.xml config file. Set the value EnableSimpleArtistDetection to false.

Hopefully that gets you squared away again. I was hoping we'd be able to just change everyone over to the newer artist methods but I think for the time being it will continue to be best to limit it to new installs only. Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

@@Luke, please can you respond to this thread? I have still have missing metadata.

Pitchshift

So I've spent around 6 hours fixing all the missing artwork for my music artists. Next I have to sort out all the missing bios for over 200 artists.

1. How did this release get past alpha or beta testing?
2. Why, after 12 days of posting the issue have I not received an apology for this release messing up my work?
3. With the 'Save artwork and metadata into media folders' option checked can I backup the Emby appdata folder to prevent this from happening again?
4. How do I turn off auto update?

I know some people will think I should stop complaining about a free product but I have given donations and bought the theatre app multiple times for mine or family members devices. There is the amount of my time I had invested lost too.

Did you enable the option to save the metadata with the library items before you made your edits?

If not, you should turn it on and go back and save each one of those again.

We are sorry you lost this data but, if you don't save the metadata with your library items then it is in an application folder where any number of operations could potentially overwrite or delete it.

Pitchshift

OK, I've enabled that option and saved all the artists again. One thing I've noticed with some of the artists that are matched that it's not pulling down their bio written on MusicBrainz (only images). I have refreshed all metadata to no avail.

Edit: It is pulling down the info now after a refresh - just need to be patient and allow it to update

Edited by Pitchshift

Pitchshift

OK. I've enabled 'Save artwork and metadata into media folders' but it has only saved the artwork for a small amount of artists - not all. I have gone back through each artist and re-saved them, which has created nfo files, just not saved all the artwork. How do I force it to save the artwork into the artist folder? I want to prevent me having to do manual metadata work ever again.

Pitchshift

Please can someone help me export all the metadata into my artist folders? I am scared of loosing all my work again. At the moment only some of the metadata has saved into my artist folders.

Examples:

Artist: Rage Against The Machine

Files: artist.nfo, fanart.jpg & folder.jpg

Artist: The Pharcyde

Files: artist.nfo & fanart.jpg

Artist: 2Pac

Files: artist.nfo

As you can see some artist folders have all the metadata and images within the folder while others only have some. I want all artist to have ALL metadata exported so I never have to worry about it going missing. I have enabled 'Save artwork and metadata into media folders' and gone back through each artist and saved the metadata again but it doesn't make a difference.

hi @@Pitchshift, we don't have a pure export function, but if you refresh an artist manually it will save metadata using your new settings. Then what you can do is use the metadata manager to refresh from a top level folder. It will take a little while and there is currently no progress monitor when doing that, but it will do the trick. thanks.

Pitchshift

I refreshed, then saved one artist to test but they still only have an artist.nfo file in their folder. I want all my artists to have an artist.nfo, fanart.jpg & folder.jpg file in their folder as the function 'Save artwork and metadata into media folders' suggests. I need to guarantee I will not loose my work again due to an update.

Pitchshift

I refreshed from the top level folder (the music folder I am assuming from your instructions) within metadata manager last night. I have taken a look in my artist folders and still some having missing files.

Happy2Play

How are your Music Artist and Music Album Downloaders/Fetchers set?  Dashboard-Library-Metadata-change the "Customize for media type:" drop-down

Edited by Happy2Play