all4dom

all4dom

Hi Guys,

I have been reading that some people are able to get subtitles playing in MB Classic and some have not. I have not been able to get subs playing and maybe someone could be kind to point me in the right direction. I have a WHS server 2011 that holds all my media. I have both MB Classic & Server stored on my HTPC with LAV filters 0.59.1 & XY-Vs Filter. I used to run ffdshow, both uninstalled that some time ago. My desktop has MBT and Classic &  same setup with lav & xy filters.

For the episode I am trying this out on, I have my show, which is a .mkv file and there is also a .sub & .idx file (not sure what the idx file is). When I tried this in vlc player, the subs work, but not in MB Classic or MBT.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dom

mranim8or

I struggled with this for awhile too, but I ended up using MPC-HC (media player home cinema) as an external player. This solved all of my subtitle issues and also lets me switch between audio tracks to listen to commentary. Great keyboard shortcuts in it too, so I was able to configure my Harmony One to turn on/off subtitles, switch between audio tracks, step forward\back one frame, etc.  Of course, this does not fix the issue in MBT, just in MBC.

ttgapers

Hi Guys,

I have been reading that some people are able to get subtitles playing in MB Classic and some have not. I have not been able to get subs playing and maybe someone could be kind to point me in the right direction. I have a WHS server 2011 that holds all my media. I have both MB Classic & Server stored on my HTPC with LAV filters 0.59.1 & XY-Vs Filter. I used to run ffdshow, both uninstalled that some time ago. My desktop has MBT and Classic &  same setup with lav & xy filters.

For the episode I am trying this out on, I have my show, which is a .mkv file and there is also a .sub & .idx file (not sure what the idx file is). When I tried this in vlc player, the subs work, but not in MB Classic or MBT.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dom

Hey Dom,

You need the Win7Tweaker and allow MediaCenter foundation to use LAV. Only then will subs be viewable in MBC.

There is a guide on here for this. Pretty simple and straightforward.

all4dom, one of the threads ttgapers is talking about is this one:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/726-windows-media-center-internal-player-mb-classic-and-lav-filters-guide/

which points to this installation guide:

http://www.thehtpc.net/htpc-tips-and-tweaks/media-center-lav-filters-and-external-subtitles/

Follow those instructions, including the use of the Win7DSFilterTweaker tool.  Does the xy-VSFilter icon show up in the taskbar when you play a movie with external subs?  If not, you may not have the appropriate version of xy-VSFilter installed.  That was my mistake, I read the text on the xy-VSFilter download page that said "Users of 64-bit Windows are recommended to download the 32-bit version of xy-VSFilter for best compatibility."  Apparently you must have the 64-bit version if you are on a 64-bit OS, and I had installed the 32-bit version per the "compatibility" suggestion on the VSFilter download page. 

all4dom

@ ttgapers, I do have win7tweaker, which I have used for a long time with ffdshow,  

@ bigjohn, thought I read that somewhere, because I used thehtpc (jon's guide) when I installed lav. That (64 bit version) might be my issue.

Only question is can the subs be turned on & off?

Thanks

Dom

EDIT***xy-VSFilter icon does not appear in the taskbar.

Edited by all4dom

Cheesegeezer

@ ttgapers, I do have win7tweaker, which I have used for a long time with ffdshow,  

@ bigjohn, thought I read that somewhere, because I used thehtpc (jon's guide) when I installed lav. That (64 bit version) might be my issue.

Only question is can the subs be turned on & off?

Thanks

Dom

EDIT***xy-VSFilter icon does not appear in the taskbar.

I use a different method of getting subs in WMC.

I use the following FFDShow, MediaControl 6.0.15 and have hooked up mediacontrol to use specific remote control buttons to do my switching

(I feel another guide coming on :D)

Firstly I would like you to read this Guide that explains exactly what the FilterTweaker tool does  

Then follow this guide I wrote if you wish to use FFDshow still specifically the part about subtitles.  

Then download MediaControl for your correct system version (x86 or x64) from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediacontrolmce/files/ and install

Go into MediaControl Configuration app and Click on the FFDShow Configuration tab, and first click Apply minimal configuation button, then the Apply recommended configuration button (this will setup FFDShow Video decoder settings for your remote to work, however it doesn't change the DXVA decoder remote settings - when I say remote, i'm referring to a remote control)

Screenshot2014-02-04061149.png

Then Click on the Remote Control & Keyboard Tab in MC Configuration. These are what i have set up and they work very well with WMC and MB.

Ensure that you tick the Always column this forces MC to have full control. Also make sure that you hit the "commit changes" button at the bottom once you've finished

Screenshot2014-02-04061132.png

Finally we need to ensure that DXVA is working for subs too.  So Open up you FFDshow x64 DXVA settings. Click on the Keys and remote tab but don't tick the box and in the bottom section you will see a TickBox called "Remote control API" 

In this section make sure that your settings are identical.  These will be done for FFDShow x86 Video Decoder Settings and FFDShow x64 Video Decoder settings already.  MediaControl did this when you clicked the Apply Recommended configuration button.

Screenshot2014-02-04061228.png

So that's how I get mine to work and switch from the comfort of my couch.  I can also switch audio streams too.

Hope it helps

Cheese :D

Edited by Cheesegeezer

all4dom

Cheese, I thought we could not use ffdshow if we used lav filters. I read about mediacontrol & think I may give it a shot.

Cheesegeezer

Cheese, I thought we could not use ffdshow if we used lav filters. I read about mediacontrol & think I may give it a shot.

Rule of thumb for any Codec Pack, is only EVER EVER have ONE installed.

I take it you didn't read the links then.  It would have explained this in them. ;)

The only reason I posted above was because you said you used FFDShow or did

Edited by Cheesegeezer

all4dom

I'm at work, so I just glanced at the posting. I moved to lav filters going back because mbt required it.

Cheesegeezer

I'm at work, so I just glanced at the posting. I moved to lav filters going back because mbt required it.

no probs mate, Ah I see.  That is gonna make you a bit stuck with LAV then.  Don't bother with MediaControl as it only hooks into FFDShow. 

mentasm

I use FFDshow and MCE extender  (I think thats its name) for remote control integration.  Perfect solution for me.  My FFDshow is installed via the Shark codec pack

• 3 weeks later...
barnabas1969

I'm curious about this subject too.  I haven't started testing MB3 yet, but plan to do it soon on my test rig.

My question is, Can I do this (turn subtitles on/off) in MBC running on an extender like an XBox360 or Linksys DMA-2100?

I'm curious about this subject too.  I haven't started testing MB3 yet, but plan to do it soon on my test rig.

My question is, Can I do this (turn subtitles on/off) in MBC running on an extender like an XBox360 or Linksys DMA-2100?

I don't believe extenders support any subs other than those burned into the video stream.

• 1 month later...
Deihmos
Cheesegeezer, on 04 Feb 2014 - 02:23 AM, said:

I use a different method of getting subs in WMC.

I use the following FFDShow, MediaControl 6.0.15 and have hooked up mediacontrol to use specific remote control buttons to do my switching

(I feel another guide coming on :D)

Firstly I would like you to read this Guide that explains exactly what the FilterTweaker tool does  

Then follow this guide I wrote if you wish to use FFDshow still specifically the part about subtitles.  

Then download MediaControl for your correct system version (x86 or x64) from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediacontrolmce/files/ and install

Go into MediaControl Configuration app and Click on the FFDShow Configuration tab, and first click Apply minimal configuation button, then the Apply recommended configuration button (this will setup FFDShow Video decoder settings for your remote to work, however it doesn't change the DXVA decoder remote settings - when I say remote, i'm referring to a remote control)

Screenshot2014-02-04061149.png

Then Click on the Remote Control & Keyboard Tab in MC Configuration. These are what i have set up and they work very well with WMC and MB.

Ensure that you tick the Always column this forces MC to have full control. Also make sure that you hit the "commit changes" button at the bottom once you've finished

Screenshot2014-02-04061132.png

Finally we need to ensure that DXVA is working for subs too.  So Open up you FFDshow x64 DXVA settings. Click on the Keys and remote tab but don't tick the box and in the bottom section you will see a TickBox called "Remote control API" 

In this section make sure that your settings are identical.  These will be done for FFDShow x86 Video Decoder Settings and FFDShow x64 Video Decoder settings already.  MediaControl did this when you clicked the Apply Recommended configuration button.

Screenshot2014-02-04061228.png

So that's how I get mine to work and switch from the comfort of my couch.  I can also switch audio streams too.

Hope it helps

Cheese :D

Nice guide but one correction. There is no need to match the key controls with ffdshow. I have never once looked at the keys on ffdshow. I just configured the controls in mediacontrol the way I want it for the remote. ANother thing is I find dxva to be buggy with ffdshow but intel quick sync or software decoding to wok perfect.

I think this is the best way to setup MBC.