emby-service won't start (Fedora 25)

prcutler
Go to solution Solved by dcrdev,

prcutler

Hi all,

I noticed a while back that emby-server isn't starting automatically in systemd for me and I finally had some time to troubleshoot.  I'm running Fedora 25 and I've made sure dnf / yum are up to date and made sure I'm using the repos from this post in the Fedora thread:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/13398-fedoracentos-rpm/page-15

emby-server does run if I start manually as sudo, but if I try to enable the service, I get the following error:

systemctl status emby-server -l
● emby-server.service - Emby Media Server
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2017-02-01 07:19:08 CST; 27min ago
  Process: 26742 ExecStopPost=/usr/lib/emby-server/emby-server.sh clear (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
  Process: 26718 ExecStart=/usr/lib/emby-server/emby-server.sh start (code=exited, status=127)
 Main PID: 26718 (code=exited, status=127)

Feb 01 07:19:08 mythtv systemd[1]: Started Emby Media Server.
Feb 01 07:19:08 mythtv emby-server.sh[26718]: /usr/lib/emby-server/emby-server.sh: line 118: exec: su: not found
Feb 01 07:19:08 mythtv systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
Feb 01 07:19:08 mythtv systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Feb 01 07:19:08 mythtv systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Doing a Google search on status=127, I found this on Github, but it's a status 126:  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/issues/1419

From that thread, if I run:

#!/bin/bash
MAGICK_LIBRARY_PATH=$(find /usr/lib/emby-server/ -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d| grep -v bin)
MONO_EXEC_ENV="$MONO_ENV LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${MAGICK_LIBRARY_PATH}${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:}$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

echo "$MONO_EXEC_ENV"

I get:

[pcutler@[member="mythtv"] ~]$ echo "$MONO_EXEC_ENV"
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/emby-server/etc
/usr/lib/emby-server/lib64

So I don't think it's embymagick as I see:  Package embymagick-6.9.6+6-7.2.x86_64 is already installed.

Since I'm able to run it as sudo normally, I don't see anything in the latest log file.  At the top I see:

2017-02-01 07:27:03.3492 Info Main: Emby
        Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -ffmpeg /bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /bin/ffprobe -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh
        Operating system: Unix 4.8.16.300
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        Mono: 4.6.2 (Stable 4.6.2.16/ac9e222 Tue Jan  3 11:51:14 UTC 2017)
        Processor count: 4
        Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server
        Application directory: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin
2017-02-01 07:27:03.6990 Info ImageMagick: ImageMagick version: ImageMagick 6.9.6-6 Q8 x86_64 2016-12-12 http://www.imagemagick.org
2017-02-01 07:27:04.6188 Info App: Application version: 3.1.5.0
2017-02-01 07:27:04.7586 Info App: Application configuration:

Any hints of what I should be looking for or trying to fix systemd?  Is it related to the su not found message? (I'm not sure how to fix that). Thanks in advance.

Paul

• Solution
dcrdev

Do you have selinux enabled? The fact that your able to run manually with sudo suggests that to be the cause. The emby startup script tries to elevate itself using sudo, selinux does not like the fact that sudo has spawned from a systemd unit.

You can trick selinux by creating /etc/systemd/system/emby-server.service with the following content:

[Unit]                                                                          
Description=Emby Media Server                                                   
After=network.target                                                            

[Service]                                                                       
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c "/usr/lib/emby-server/emby-server.sh start"                
Restart=on-abort                                                                
TimeoutSec=20                                                                   
ExecStopPost=/bin/sh -c "/usr/lib/emby-server/emby-server.sh clear"             

[Install]                                                                       
WantedBy=multi-user.target 

Then run "sudo systemctl daemon-reload && sudo systemctl restart emby-server". Alternatively you could just disable selinux if you're not fussed about it.

Edited by dcrdev
  • Like 1