Synology Install Issues

scotttobin

Hi, you posted a server log but if you read the guidelines in that link I gave you, we are asking for a little more than that. The main thing is discussion of a specific example, for example, what Emby app you were using, what you clicked on, what kind of media you were trying to play, etc. At this point all you're really telling us is that something isn't working. With a little more information we will be able to give you better responses. thanks !

scotttobin

The logs came after my original description and I filled in blanks when you first posted this. Here it is again:

- I transitioned from Emby on my laptop to Emby server on my Synology drive Synology  DS214se. The install went just fine but i am having the following issues

1. It seems every time I log into Emby i am getting a page not found. After some poking around I find in the Package Center that Emby has stopped. I didn't stop and this is the second time I have noticed this. (NOTE - i have not had this issue since we made the suggested change above but I am keeping an eye on it)
  2. While I can see the movies on my TV from the server, they won't play. They start to load and just sit there. There is no error, just a black screen or sometimes a load progress bar that never changes. Eventually I just have to quite Emby.  This happens on all TVs but the main one is a brand new Samsung smart TV using the Emby app from the Samsung App store. 

What else can i give you?

For #2, we have a new release of the Samsung app going through the review process. Once that is available please try that. For your other TV's we have to start from square one with the info requested in the link I gave earlier. Thanks.

Hey guys, 

Just my 2c worth - 

This synology page tends to suggest that the DS214SE doesn't transcode at all - it can do some basic muxing only to specific devices from DSVideo, but nowhere else.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/DSM/tutorial/Mobile/Can_my_Synology_NAS_transcode_videos_for_my_device

So DLNA is the only workable option here, and reading about the DLNA storm James identified above, and a suggestion to disable DLNA, this could explain why nothing works.
Certainly I would recommend that DSVideo, DSPhoto etc are stopped (at a minimum) to test this, and then ensuring that DLNA / Direct play is chosen everywhere.

This NAS / Emby Server can only be a file directory, not a streaming device.

Hope this may help some :)

Shane

@@shad0h, dlna does not have much to do with transcoding. You don't need to use DLNA just to avoid transcoding, if that's what you're trying to imply.

• Like 1

scotttobin

Hi All - thanks for your continued help and guidance on this. I disabled DS packages (Video, Photo, etc) and still have the same result. Now what?

solabc16

Hello All

Just to clarify, as this thread covers two issues, the suggestions around switching off DLNA are to address the issue of Emby Server 'crashing'.

This is based on prior experience with other users that have the Synology media packages installed.

As detailed above, this causes a DLNA storm that can cause issues with the lower powered devices. (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43571-synology-install-issues/?p=407083)

If you're not using DLNA for playback via Emby Server, then there is no harm with switching it off as a solution.

@@scotttobin, has this addressed your issue with the Emby Server package stopping? From your posts above, you are using the Emby TV app for Samung for playback?

Best

- James

scotttobin

sorry for the delayed response but I wanted to give it a day or two to see what happens. Its still stopping. The good news is when it was running, the movies seem to be working now so i think we may be one step closer. 

• 1 month later...
sherpa25

@@scotttobin, can you point me to the link to the package where I can install Emby into my Synology DS216j?  Been searching here but couldn't find it, nor can I find it after searching in NAS packages.  Thanks.

@@scotttobin, can you point me to the link to the package where I can install Emby into my Synology DS216j?  Been searching here but couldn't find it, nor can I find it after searching in NAS packages.  Thanks.

Hi @@sherpa25, have you checked out the synology instructions on our website? 

https://emby.media/nas-server.html

Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• Like 1

sherpa25

Hi @@sherpa25, have you checked out the synology instructions on our website? 

https://emby.media/nas-server.html

Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Thanks.  Yes, I did, but after setting up the Package Source, Emby Server wasn't appearing under 'Community', so I was thinking there might be a separate package for manual installation.

EDIT: I kept refreshing Package Center, and it now appeared.... installing now.  Thanks.  

While at it, I can't seem to find/install Emby on my Samsung SmartTV, is it restricted?  Was able to install Plex but having issues regarding transcoding, so I'm looking at Emby and hope it works better.  How can I install Emby on the TV?  

Edited by sherpa25

sherpa25

Hello @@sherpa25

Thanks for the update, glad to hear you're up and running with the Synology package.

Best

- James

Yes, thanks.  I now need to find the Emby app for the Samsung TV (KU6000 - Asia), but I can't find it under Samsung Smart Hub Apps.  Can you show where I can get it? TIA

Edited by sherpa25