Emby Server - Option to Re-Read NFO Files

funwithmedia
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

funwithmedia

I could swear I saw a post similar to this recently but now I can't find it....

I'm in the midst of transitioning my library of movies, etc. into Emby and so I'm doing a lot of testing with NFO files and how Emby reads them, etc. It would be really useful during this period if there were a way to tell Emby to Re-Read a given NFO file (and pull in any new or changed data). Currently I have to remove the folder, restart Emby and then re-add the folder to get Emby to re-read the file(s), which is a bit of a pain.

However, I realize that what I'm desiring here is not something that one would use often (I will probably very seldom use it once I get everything transitioned), and is a potentially dangerous feature because a user could overwrite data within Emby with old data in the NFO if they're not careful (so clear language and warnings are probably a good idea). So I'd be fine with this being some sort of Advanced or Hidden setting or something.

Or if there's already a way to do this I'd be grateful to know that. :)

funwithmedia

Well, that actually does work. :)

I've been working on something (posted in another thread https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43307-transitioning-to-emby-how-to-programmatically-add-many-items-to-collections/ ) regarding adding items to Collections via NFO files and was seeing data manually added to the NFO file get ignored/overwritten when doing a Refresh via Metadata Manager, so that gave me the impression I was seeing the same results as I had seen before with running Library Scans and not seeing my manually added <tag> info get picked up. But I just did a test with adding a <tag> to an NFO, did a Refresh and Emby pulled it in!  This is great -- I am so glad I asked because the way I was doing things was verrrrry tedious.

Thanks much! :)

funwithmedia

Quick additional thought: It would be nifty if the content panel in the Metadata Manger would refresh itself once the data has been refreshed. Reloading the page forces me to scroll back and navigate through the tree to find my item in order to see if what I did worked.

Another way of doing this though would be to add in a system for #hashes being able to identify and open a given node in the tree, and then using history.pushstate (or something like that) in Javascript to update the addressbar with the current node. Then reloading the page would automatically go to the current node.

It's not a huge deal, as it's only useful for debugging like I'm doing. But would be a nice feature to have a some point. :)

• Solution

If you make manual changes to an nfo, the best thing to do is nothing and just allow Emby to pick up the change on it's own. The metadata manager right-hand side does auto-refresh.

• Like 1

funwithmedia

Well that's cool -- I guess I must not have been waiting long enough or something, because early on (in my experimenting) it had seemed to be that changes were not being picked up. But I just did another test focusing on just that and the changes came through on their own -- very cool indeed!  :)

I'm seem to be misunderstanding something though regarding the right-hand side of the Metadata Manager: If I manually choose Refresh from a given item's 3-dot menu, the right-hand side does not refresh automatically (the metadata does get refreshed). If I manually change a .NFO file and wait for the change to get picked up by Emby the right-hand side of Metadata Manager does not refresh automatically (and I confirmed via the server library browser that the data has been read into Emby). What am I missing?

funwithmedia

Weird -- mine either is not working or taking quite a while (ie, it's been > 8 minutes and still no refresh).

funwithmedia

Sure -- just PM'd you the most recent server Log.

This isn't a huge deal currently (so feel free to prioritize however you need to), but I'm happy to help us sort out why it doesn't seem to be working on my end.

Right I looked at this. the reason the metadata manager doesn't auto-refresh from server changes is because any changes you might have made in the editor up until that time would be lost.

• Like 1

As far as how to improve current design. We could auto-refresh when there are no active changes, and then i suppose maybe have a refresh icon that lights up when there are.

• Like 1

funwithmedia

Right I looked at this. the reason the metadata manager doesn't auto-refresh from server changes is because any changes you might have made in the editor up until that time would be lost.

That totally makes sense -- I had wondered about that. And we definitely want to prevent that (the loss of data entered in the editor).

As far as how to improve current design. We could auto-refresh when there are no active changes, and then i suppose maybe have a refresh icon that lights up when there are.

That sounds good to me!

funwithmedia

Just in case it wasn't apparent, I do really appreciate that you looked into things -- thanks for your efforts! :)