Trying to make heads or tails of this software.

Progeekzy

arrbee99

Don't think there's a proper way to fix any of that except for a bit (well, hopefully) of reorganisation.

You can set folder type to Mixed if you have movies and TV series in the same folder, but doubt it would help with box sets (and I just got rid of my mixed stuff as it put latest TV series in Latest Movies lists and stuff like that).

That Movie Naming Wiki has stuff about what to do with Extras (they go in an Extras subfolder inside the Movie folder apparently).

Don't forget you can still make your own Collections and (I think) add to ones made by the plug-in, so you can add Joey to the Friends collection. How well it would work, give it a go ?

Ya im assuming my best bet is to put movies with movies and tv shows with tv show. Which REALLY sucks. I have to de organize all my organizing. 

I mean, under moves i have terminator. And in there i have the 2 seasons from the TV show. Not showing up in emby. Totally ignoring it. 

I strongly recommend you pop for one month of Emby Premiere. It's $4.99. Seriously worth the test drive.

IMHO the Emby Theater application is by far the best way to view the media if you have a fairly typical HTPC coupled to a big screen TV. It supports all the media formats directly, no problems outputting HD audio if that's the thing for you, and plenty of options for customization if you need it. As long as your computer is not terribly slow (I did have a bad experience on a slow windows TV box), ET as we call it is just a great experience.

If you are into lots of customization there's also the Kodi option, using the "Emby for Kodi" plug-in. I've used this, and it gives probably the greatest amount of interface customization, but frankly I love the simple, clean ET experience.

As you've found out, there are some organizational requirements, but the more you learn, the more you may find that there are easy/automated ways to get things done. I suggest starting with a relatively small sample library and gradually find the best way to do things.

But seriously: pop for the $5 one month license, dip your toe in, and I doubt you'll ever look back.

Best wishes, and welcome aboard.

Marc

arrbee99

It might be worth, say, moving all your Terminator stuff to a different directory, and adding that folder separately to Emby as Mixed, and seeing what happens. Don't forget to re-scan, its under Scheduled Tasks somewhere.

Or manually adding Terminator TV series to a Terminator movie collection (or is that when it ignores it).

Make sure Terminator stuff is backup though (just in case, the disclaimer forms in the post...)

rbjtech

Emby's use of the metadata tags rather than the logical 'file system' structure is no different from the other media software - such as Plex, Kodi etc and no different from MP3 tagging of your music collection in Itunes etc.  

This is far superior way of doing things because you can use the central database to automatically find related items extremely quickly, even if not in a file system 'collection' - or even not on the same file system for that matter.

For example - type 'Terminator' in the search box - and it will automatically bring up ALL items (be they TV, Movies, Music etc) that relate to a keyword 'Terminator' - even the ones you didn't think about such as maybe Themetunes or related Guest Appearances in other shows.  Powerful stuff.