Trying to make heads or tails of this software.

Progeekzy

Progeekzy

Im trying to setup a [free] media server in my house and ive tried ahalf dozen or so that dosent really do what i want it to do. Stumbled upon emby and gave it a look. 

I havent set anything up yet, because i saw the description on the emby theater page. "Emby Theater is free to browse your media, while playback requires Emby Premiere."

I can only browse the media for free, if i want to actually play it i have to spend money? Thats not exactly a free service. I guess technically setting up the server is free, but to use it i have to pay? What kind of restriction is that? 

Spyderturbo007

You can stream it in your house (LAN) for free, but if you want to unlock the ability to stream to a device over the Internet, you need to pay.  I set it up last week and had no issues streaming to devices inside my house. 

Cerothen

As an extension to what Spyderturbo007 indicated, you are also able to use the web interface anywhere for free (eg no premiere) including internet streaming. I haven't checked if its the same but for a leanback experience you can use http://tv.emby.media as well when connecting to your local server to play content.

Hopefully that helps

Diedrich

You can use Emby Server for free and view your content through numerous sources - some costing money, some not. One example of totally free would be Kodi with the Emby for Kodi add-on and Kodi Sync plugin.

Koleckai Silvestri

The Kodi Plugin, Web Client, and Roku Channel are all free ways to view your content.

Most Apps take money to develop and distribute. That is why they have them behind Premiere. Though, some apps can be bought in their stores to unlock that single install. If I recall correctly, Premiere allows you to unlock up to 15 apps across devices. So it is about $5 per app or the Premiere cost. 

@@Progeekzy Behind the software there are real people who work on it everyday and those people need income just like you need income from your own job. Enjoy,

• Like 2

Progeekzy

I made an account on emby connect and i logged onto that fine on this computer [this is not my media computer]

When i try to log into connect using the exact same information on my media computer, ether on the server or the player, i get a invalid username or password error. 

Progeekzy

OK ill bump this. Try to get an answer. 

Finally got my library populated. Made my first playlist. Tried playing the playlist on a different computer using the theater player. It told me i had to buy premiere. And i was told above that doing that would not coast me? 

OK ill bump this. Try to get an answer. 

Finally got my library populated. Made my first playlist. Tried playing the playlist on a different computer using the theater player. It told me i had to buy premiere. And i was told above that doing that would not coast me? 

Hi, the Theater application requires Emby Premiere. however the built in web app is free.

pooey, i liked the theater app! ok, ill try out the web app. Thanks. 

Hopefully after seeing the activity in the community here you've taken notice at how hard we work to support you guys, and perhaps you will support us and then you'll be able to use Theater.

Progeekzy

Im still trying to decide if i like this service. Ive ran into my fair share of complication during the setup, some i feel is me being stupid some i feel could have been better explained. We will see if i stick with it and if i do im sure ill support it.

I guess next is to see how emby handles my file structures. Im assuming not well.....

Progeekzy

The difference between the web app and the  theater app, that ones free and ones not. 

That in the server software i have to go into dashboard and point it towards my collection, collections dosent do....collections. till its imported. 

And keeping my file structure on import might be cool. It looks like im gonna have to go through and rebuild everything i already have set up, and it might not work how i want it to. Thats....irritating. 

Edited by Progeekzy

Progeekzy

Am i going to need a collections playlist for every season of every show? Thats going to be a lot of collections. 

How do i do sub groups within collections? Like for avengers i have 1 main folder on my hard drive then in that folder i break down each set, a folder for iron man a folder for capt a folder for avengers so on and so forth. Can i put collections in play lists so i can keep my file structure? Or will i be ether forced to jumble things together or make way to play collections folders? 

Edited by Progeekzy

Deathsquirrel

You really don't need to put so much effort into organizing things on disk.  It's hard work and it makes things in Emby far more difficult than they need to be.

Put each movie in a folder with the name and release year of the movie.  That way it's easy for the app to tell the difference between \\Server\MovieShare\Conan the Barbarian (1981)\Conan the Barbarian (1981).mkv and \\Server\MovieShare\Conan the Barbarian (2011)\Conan the Barbarian (2011).mkv.  Add \\Server\MovieShare to your Movies library.  That's it.

Install the Auto Boxset plugin to create 95% of the collections you'll want automatically.  Create the others by hand as needed in the web UI.

For TV Shows it's about the same.  Name each show to match TVDB.com's naming.  For example, \\Server\TVShare\Archer (2009)\Season 02\Archer S02E01 Swiss Miss.mkv or \\Server\TVShare\Archer (2009)\Season 03\Archer S03E01 The Man From Jupiter.mkv.  Add \\Server\TVShare to your TV library.

The server will recognize everything, the plugin will create your movie collections, and you can do minor corrections like picking a poster you like better than the default one from your chosen metadata providers.

• Like 2

arrbee99

Am not a developer, just a user, so don't know if this'll help much, but...

You could check out Ember for Emby (for Windos), think you get a bit of a trial then you have to buy it, but its not much and don't think you need premiere

This https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming might be useful for Naming, though you might have seen it already. I usually just name my movies Turbo.mkv or whatever, only add the year if I know there's more than one version

This https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections might be useful for Collections, though you might have seen it already

There's a Plug in for Emby called Auto box sets which will make Collections of movies for you from individual movie names. You might have to pay a bit or get Premiere for this though.

You could always try a monthly Premiere thing and then you've got a month to decide for not a lot of money.

Hopefully you've created / are creating libraries and identifying them by their content i.e. you tell Emby your TV folders are of type TV, your movie folders are of type Movie (assuming that's basically how you've organised them).

-guess Deathsquirrel beat me to most of that.....

Edited by arrbee99

Progeekzy

The plugin sounds useful. Is it a paid service or is it free?

Also, is there a way to change the aspect ration on payback in the web client? 

Edited by Progeekzy

arrbee99

Unfortunately, not sure about the plug-in. If you go to the server dashboard, and click on Plugins, then click on Catalog, you should be able to find it - it might be paid, or free or free if you've got Premiere. I can't check as I've already got Premiere and the Box Sets plug-in.

Don't think you can change aspect ratio in web browser (though you can go full screen). Think you can change it in the FireTV app and Android apps in general, which I guess doesn't help for Windows, but might be useful.

arrbee99

The Box Set plug-in is getting confused ? does Emby show Movies and TV series reasonably well as opposed to Collections ? the Box Set plug-in says it uses TMDB to make the box sets so hopefully it should do OK if your names are all good.

I guess your libraries are vaguely like this.....

586da2a7663cc_EmbySetup1.jpg

A Home screen something like this....

586da33251371_EmbySetup2.jpg

Hopefully you get Movies and TV like this....

586da3f19e143_EmbySetup3.jpg

586da466bee35_EmbySetup4.jpg

and a few Collections....

586da4e326074_EmbySetup5.jpg

There are various options under that person option in the top right hand corner of the Home screen (the one next to the Gear symbol). Also various options for Libraries under the hamburger/three dots thing (see first image), but I guess you've found that by now.

Progeekzy

No it gets it right for the most part. It gets confused when movies and shows collide, or when theres a extras folder. 

Burn notice, for example. the 7 seasons is displayed just fine. But theres also a movie, Burn Notice the fall of sam axe. I also have a extras folder in there, full of behind the scene stuff split up into the different seasons. It has no idea what to do with any of it. I open the movie folder and i actually get like the 7th video from the first folder in the extras folder. I open the extras folder....and it has the pilot episode from the first season. Its confused. 

I have had to plit things up that i didint want to split up.The show friends, theres 10 seasons. After friends they did 2 seasons of Joey. I had them in the same folder. Joes is a spin off and no need to make a folder for 2 seasons. Emby put joey as season 11 and 12 of friends,.....and looped back to season 1 and 2. Confused again. 

Theres more. Buffy the vampire slayer it dosent know what to do because i have extras and the original move and angel, spin off, all in the same folder. 
Stargate i have the original move SG1 the 2 movies after that atlants and universe all in the same folder. As well ass all the extra stuff.