Emby Theater on Raspberry Pi

Luke

Hi,

Is there a way for me to get ET to auto-log off a user with inactivity?

I have tried the Emby Openelec image and there are no options so I scrapped that and I currently have ET installed on my Pi 4 with Debian Buster trying to get the Pi to log off or shutdown/anything to force ET to logout the last users so my kids only get to see what they are allowed.

Many Thanks

Hi,

Is there a way for me to get ET to auto-log off a user with inactivity?

I have tried the Emby Openelec image and there are no options so I scrapped that and I currently have ET installed on my Pi 4 with Debian Buster trying to get the Pi to log off or shutdown/anything to force ET to logout the last users so my kids only get to see what they are allowed.

Many Thanks

No but it's planned for the future. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
nonyhaha

Hello,

I am having some issues with ET on Raspberry and I was wondering if these are known issues or if there is something I should do to them.

I have a pi3 and a pi4. Both run latest 3.0.9 image that i simply copied on the sd cards. After install I only changed hostname, enabled ssh, setup wifi and told them to wait for network before initialization.

The problems I run into are:

1. sometimes when I want to access the menu during playtime, I push center button but the image goes black and the raspberry freezes. the usual pause, previous, next and other buttons do not appear, just a black screen and I can't do anything. no back, no continue, nothing.

This can be reproduces by just pressing stop button on my remote. black screen on, nothing i can do. 
and
2. Whenever I enable subtitles, the video also freezes, usually with a black screen, and I can't do anything again. The only way out is to restart. on my android app, subtitles work fine. - tried with local and online subtitles. - This issue seems to happen when enabling subtitles on raspberry pi 4 while direct playing files.

These issues happen both on pi3 and pi4. (both are playing on local netowrk, pi4 uses direct streaming, pi3 uses 720p transcoding)

Any ideas what I should try to do?

Many thanks in advance.

L.E.
Unfortunately the black screen comes on after some inactivity time and i cant do anything to bring it back.

This is stressing me a lot. I have to restart it every time :(

Edited by nonyhaha

• 2 months later...
nt-it-team

Hello,

Using the RPi image from the Linux thread, is it possible to join the Pi 4b to a WPA Enterprise (RADIUS) wifi connection?

Tested on ethernet and works great!

nt-it-team

I have escaped away from the auto-starting Emby client and signed in with the default Pi credentials... I don't see any network settings to configure! It looks like the OS is really lightweight.

I have escaped away from the auto-starting Emby client and signed in with the default Pi credentials... I don't see any network settings to configure! It looks like the OS is really lightweight.

The desktop is lxde, so raspi-config should take care of the basics but installing network manager 'sudo apt-get install network-manager' should add extra functions

nt-it-team

Well - finally got this working. To put it short, the driver in the Buster distro by default is broken and does not work with any 802.1x implementation. Only fix is to "swap" the driver being loaded.

For future anyone trying this:

Check first in terminal:

ps aux | grep wpa

The default (broken) return should contain:

wpa_supplicant -B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -Dnl80211,wext

We need to change this around...

In terminal:

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/functions.sh

go to line 227 (as of the date on this post anyway). Change from

WPA_SUP_OPTIONS="$WPA_SUP_OPTIONS -D nl80211,wext"

to

WPA_SUP_OPTIONS="$WPA_SUP_OPTIONS -D wext,nl80211"

Save the file (write output) and exit. 

In terminal:

sudo nano /lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/10-wpa_supplicant

go to line 60 (again as of this post date). Change from:

wpa_supplicant_driver="${wpa_supplicant_driver:-nl80211,wext}"

to:

wpa_supplicant_driver="${wpa_supplicant_driver:-wext,nl80211}"

Now reboot the pi, in terminal:

sudo reboot

After it reboots, quit the emby auto launch and sign in to the desktop, and open terminal and run:

ps aux | grep wpa

it should now have the line:

wpa_supplicant -B -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0 -wext,Dnl80211

Now go ahead and configure the wpa_supplicant.conf file for your radius settings for WPA2 enterprise and it should connect. Not sure why this isn't documented anywhere, and I don't have accounts on other places to post it!

Hope this helps someone else using the emby pi image to connect!

Now to figure out how to stop the raspi-config loading by default, as it tests before the wifi connects...

• 4 weeks later...

Theater now has the virtual scrolling feature for vertical lists:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/82293-44012-virtual-scrolling/

That means the lists will no longer load your entire library contents all at once and will instead only load what you see at once. This will help make the entire app more responsive and improve navigation performance.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
ropeguru

Just installed version 3.0.12 on a Raspberry PI 3B+ and it is completely unusable. Extremely sluggish interface and the video seem to update frames about once every second or two.

Looks like ssh is unavailable for login and have not yet exited Emby and tried to login to the desktop.

Pi is hard wired network and has a dongle in usb for a keyboard and one for a remote.

Edit: So I have ssh access now and with Emby running and the interface being extremely slow, top is showing 3 emby-theater processes running @ 14, 3, and 2 percent for each. Nothing else looks out of the ordinary.

Edit 2: Ok, so looking at top while navigating the main page, the first emby-theater process is going upwards of 125% to 150% cpu when moving between icons on the screen.  Launching a video, in this case a tv show (not live tv though), the first process is up around 182% usage.

What am I missing here?

Edited by ropeguru

Strudo76
10 hours ago, ropeguru said:

Just installed version 3.0.12 on a Raspberry PI 3B+ and it is completely unusable. Extremely sluggish interface and the video seem to update frames about once every second or two.

Looks like ssh is unavailable for login and have not yet exited Emby and tried to login to the desktop.

Pi is hard wired network and has a dongle in usb for a keyboard and one for a remote.

Edit: So I have ssh access now and with Emby running and the interface being extremely slow, top is showing 3 emby-theater processes running @ 14, 3, and 2 percent for each. Nothing else looks out of the ordinary.

Edit 2: Ok, so looking at top while navigating the main page, the first emby-theater process is going upwards of 125% to 150% cpu when moving between icons on the screen.  Launching a video, in this case a tv show (not live tv though), the first process is up around 182% usage.

What am I missing here?

You're not missing anything. The Pi 3 just isn't great for running a media interface, especially if you're trying to play x265 content (no hardware support).

ropeguru
7 hours ago, Strudo76 said:

You're not missing anything. The Pi 3 just isn't great for running a media interface, especially if you're trying to play x265 content (no hardware support).

Ok, thanks. I have used it for Kodi and run Plex and other video add on's with no issue. Was just kinda blind sided by just how bad even the interface was responding. 

Recommended procedure for a PI 4 to install OS then the Emby Theater? The image file seems to be for PI 3 as it would not boot on my PI 4.

• 3 weeks later...
chacawaca
On 11/5/2020 at 2:01 PM, ropeguru said:

What am I missing here?

I tested 3.0.12 with image in the first post on a Raspbbery pi 3b+ too and its unusable.  Cant even move in menu. I can do some test if you need it.

nt-it-team

In the end I just spent some more money and purchased a few Intel NUC's. These run Windows 10 LTSC with a modified user environment to launch Emby only. Works really well. I've tried the Emby on Pi image on multiple generations of RPi - and tbh it should really be labelled as unsupported now.

chacawaca

i dont even need interface, i just want to remote control it with android or ios app, i tryed a headless version from an "opensource competitor" but api seem to not be 100% compatible i have some problem to remote controle it.

If emby-theater can be stable enough on pi 3b, i can install this and shairport-sync and cover all my need.

• 1 month later...
scharbag

I usually run OSMC.  Lately, the Emby add-on and the EmbyCon add-on have been giving me some grief on my Pi systems.  So, I thought I would try this option.  On a RP-3b, Emby Theatre is just painfully slow...  Emby Theatre on X-Box One is fast and works great.

For now, I will stick with OSMC and X-Box I guess.

Cheers,

• 9 months later...
Michael.D.Pine

Very late to this thread, so probably a newbie stupid question, how do I burn the ".img" to the sd card, do I literally just copy the img onto the sd card and is it ok to do it on windows or do I need to do it via a unix os ?

Michael.D.Pine
11 minutes ago, Michael.D.Pine said:

Very late to this thread, so probably a newbie stupid question, how do I burn the ".img" to the sd card, do I literally just copy the img onto the sd card and is it ok to do it on windows or do I need to do it via a unix os ?

Sorry did a bit of research, seems win32diskimager is ok to use and I seem to see the image, just got to grab a micro hdmi cable and them I'll boot it up and see how it goes.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Baenwort

So is it a Emby Theater for Raspberry limit or a general Emby Theater problem that I can't cast from the Pi to my Chromecast devices?

1 hour ago, Baenwort said:

So is it a Emby Theater for Raspberry limit or a general Emby Theater problem that I can't cast from the Pi to my Chromecast devices?

There's no official Chromecast SDK available, so we'd have to reverse engineer it I suppose.