Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

FrostByte

The only benefit to the store version is that it will auto update when a new release comes, but as Luke mentioned it can also be way behind in versions depending on Samsung review process. 

Another benefit to some people is that there are some J-series models (2015s) which will delete developer apps on reboot.  If you have a model with that issue then the store app may be best because your TV won't delete the store app on reboot.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Heinz_0606

hello, i am one with the J-series model(2015).
this topic existed since 2016!

is there any chance that there will ever be an official version?

Edited by Heinz_0606
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
MindBullet

Hey guys @@FrostByte.

Joining a bit late, but one of my new users has issues installing the app on their Samsung UE55MU6199UXZG. He says it just doesn't do anything when plugging it into the TV.

Could somebody explain us the folder structure? I think this is not very clear.

Should there be 3 files (1 folder, 2 files) on the Root of the stick?

Like:

F:/userwidget (folder)

/widget.license

/emby.tmg

Or should it be like:

F:/userwidget/widget.license
                     /emby.tmg

?

Edited by Luke

FrostByte

The two files need to be in the userwidget folder which should be in the root. 

You should just have to copy the zip to the usb sticks root and extract from there and the structure should be correct.

Edited by FrostByte

MindBullet

@@FrostByte

Thank you very much for this instruction! I think the part with "extracting it on the USB stick" was the one we were missing :) Will report any minute my user tries it, thank you guys :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Smile2020

Buenas a todos,tengo un problema quiero instalar emby en mi samsung smart UE32J5200 32" del 2017, el tema es q si la instalo desde develop no hay forma de poder poner la contraseña , por lo que me he bajado el Zip para instalarlo desde el usb pero no me lo detecta, tb he borrado la aplicación anteriormente.por si podéis darme alguna solución no se q hacer @@FrostByte
Muchas gracias

FrostByte

Buenas a todos,tengo un problema quiero instalar emby en mi samsung smart UE32J5200 32" del 2017, el tema es q si la instalo desde develop no hay forma de poder poner la contraseña , por lo que me he bajado el Zip para instalarlo desde el usb pero no me lo detecta, tb he borrado la aplicación anteriormente.por si podéis darme alguna solución no se q hacer @@FrostByte

Muchas gracias

Are you using the instructions for J-series from this link?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9869-samsung-orsay-smarttv-2011-2014-community-app-install-instructions/&do=findComment&comment=277344

Smile2020

Buenas si lo hago así el problema es q no puedo meter la contraseña,por eso probé desde el usb, he intentado mil veces poner el user y el pasword pero nada no hay manera

Edited by Smile2020

FrostByte

Buenas si lo hago así el problema es q no puedo meter la contraseña,por eso probé desde el usb, he intentado mil veces poner el user y el pasword pero nada no hay manera

How did you set up your USB specifically?  

• 6 months later...
On 10/15/2020 at 2:14 PM, CyberPoison said:

When the app will be available from the store for tizen TV? Any schedule date or ETA? 

Hi, unfortunately there are factors out of our control that have been discussed earlier in this topic. We're still hoping to get into the store and will keep trying. Until then we have the USB release which everyone can use.

simonselmer

Hi

I'm in Denmark, EU, and considering buying the Samsung Frame TV.

From the previous post from @Luke  I take it that the Emby app in not yet released in the store, but are you saying there is a Emby app I can download and sideload via a usb?
And will that work on the Samsung Frame TV 2020 model in EU?
(While writting this I found this post, that probably answers those questions,

I'm currently running my Emby client on Nvidia Shield. Can you say if the Samsung app give a lesser or different experience in any way than running on Nvidia?
Is it slower, does it support less formats, so more transcoding will be needed for example.

Thank in advance

FrostByte

As far as transcoding goes you will have to compare the supported media types of the model you want with what your Shield setup can do.  If it's not listed in the chart from the link below (which will also be in the users manual) then it needs to be transcoded of course.  One notable codec missing from the chart will be DTS which Emby will transcode. 

However, I've read that some 2020 models with eARC may get, or got, a firmware update which added TrueHD. 

https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2020-tv-video-specifications.html

I don't know if anyone already suggested this, but since I recently got a new tv and yeah you guessed it, it's a Samsung. I also thought it sucked because I couldn't download emby in the app store. I knew you could do it with a usb stick, but it got me thinking. Couple years ago you could change your store location with your iphone and download all those american apps you previously couldn't. Apparently you can do this with your samsung tv, at least mine.. I used this tutorial 

FrostByte

There used to be a pinned post with instructions on how to do this, but I removed it because most people didn't want to lose their local apps.  I could add it back though if people prefer to use the store and don't mind using apps only from the new location

Edited by FrostByte

39 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

There used to be a pinned post with instructions on how to do this, but I removed it because most people didn't want to lose their local apps.  I could add it back though if people prefer to use the store and don't mind using apps only from the new location

I wouldn't pin it, but let him know where it is in case he really wants to do it that way. I wouldn't recommend it though.

26 minutes ago, Luke said:

I wouldn't pin it, but let him know where it is in case he really wants to do it that way. I wouldn't recommend it though.

If I may ask, why not? Am I unaware of something?

20 minutes ago, Milofow said:

If I may ask, why not? Am I unaware of something?

You'll lose other apps that you've installed, which most will find undesirable. Plus I'm sure there will be other quirks that come along with setting your TV to the wrong region.

FrostByte

Before the USB install method was made available changing your region was the only way for some to get Emby and people were also saying several apps were geo locked as well.  So if you're using the US version of X app and your IP was coming from a different region it would not work.  I don't recall which apps they were though. 

If Emby is the only store app you use then it may not be an issue.  It was just a big area of complaint before the USB method I remember.  

Edited by FrostByte

2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Before the USB install method was made available changing your region was the only way for some to get Emby and people were also saying several apps were geo locked as well.  So if you're using the US version of X app and your IP was coming from a different region it would not work.  I don't recall which apps they were though. 

If Emby is the only store app you use then it may not be an issue.  It was just a big area of complaint before the USB method I remember.  

2 hours ago, Luke said:

You'll lose other apps that you've installed, which most will find undesirable. Plus I'm sure there will be other quirks that come along with setting your TV to the wrong region.

Okay thanks for informing me :)

CyberPoison
On 6/30/2019 at 9:16 PM, Luke said:

On 3/7/2018 at 5:42 PM, Luke said:

We've chosen to be tight lipped because relaying too much information has hurt us in the past. Initially way back when we were relaying everything to you as soon as we got it from Samsung. But then when such information turned out to not be true, you naturally took your frustration out on us. So that is why we adjusted our thinking on this.

On 3/7/2018 at 5:49 PM, Luke said:

If everything they've told us turns out to be true then I would think a few months is realistic. But that is just a guess.

@Luke So since 2016/2017 the Emby LCC still trying to put the app as worldwide but still no result can you tell us if you have any update about the push to worldwide app release or what is happening to take so much time? You didn't give us any news about this thread so it will be nice to get some news like a wich step you and your team mates are to push the app to worldwide? 

Thanks you, I hope to get some news shortly 

Edited by CyberPoison

12 hours ago, CyberPoison said:

@Luke So since 2016/2017 the Emby LCC still trying to put the app as worldwide but still no result can you tell us if you have any update about the push to worldwide app release or what is happening to take so much time? You didn't give us any news about this thread so it will be nice to get some news like a wich step you and your team mates are to push the app to worldwide? 

Thanks you, I hope to get some news shortly 

I don't have anything new beyond what I said in earlier pages, which came after the comments you are quoting.

Keep in mind we still have the USB installation method which everyone can use.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Keep in mind we still have the USB installation method which everyone can use.

Yeah, and it sucks, because everytime I have to uninstall the old version to install the new one, of course this means, the settings for all users are lost, so I have to re-enter every user in the app and apply the settings by hand, if I do not want to get lynched by my family.

And then there is the unnecessary nag screen every month to update the app, even if there is no new app or the old one would still work, as there was no server update.

So please, try harder to get the app to the store, there are really some shitty apps there, so it vcan't be that hard!

Ciao, Alfred

• Like 2