What am I missing?

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

So, I have been playing around and set up a test Linux server on Ubuntu. I have been off and on trying this out for the past week. I feel like I have it mostly figured out and what distro works best for me.

However, one thing I can't seem to figure out regarding updating the Server. I downloaded the package from opensuse and installed it. It is Beta version 3.1.196.0. In the dashboard it says there is an update available for version 3.1.206.

I can't figure out how to update to that version. I have tried it from the command line and it's not working.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

mastrmind11

So, I have been playing around and set up a test Linux server on Ubuntu. I have been off and on trying this out for the past week. I feel like I have it mostly figured out and what distro works best for me.

However, one thing I can't seem to figure out regarding updating the Server. I downloaded the package from opensuse and installed it. It is Beta version 3.1.196.0. In the dashboard it says there is an update available for version 3.1.206.

I can't figure out how to update to that version. I have tried it from the command line and it's not working.

Can someone tell me how to do this?

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

jasonmcroy

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

Thanks for your response. However, running that doesn't do it. It shows that there are no updates and nothing to upgrade. I believe that is the command I tried last night as well.

Andy777

Same problem. Beta branch on Ubuntu 16.04 stuck on version 3.1.196

Looks like that is the latest available on many (all that I checked) of the Linux distribution repositories of emby.

BR,

Andy777

jasonmcroy

That is what it looked like to me as well. If I go to the Emby Website and click the link for the Beta branch, it takes me to opensuse. The only downloads available (I choose the 'easy' method) the title of the download is the previous Beta version, not the current one.

jasonmcroy

So, do the Linux releases fall behind the Windows releases? I still see the download package available as being the last release and it won't update via the command line. I am thinking now I should just stick with Windows if this is the case.

• Like 1

puithove

Under most Linux distros, all package updates are hosted in repositories.  Packages are specific to the distro, so you need to have a repo that matches your distro.  You can add third-party repos to your list to pull updates from as well.  

What you did was manually download the package and install it.  You need to add the repo that contains the Emby server package updates to the list of repos that your box will pull from.  That way when you do the distro-specific update process (apt update && apt upgrade) it knows to check that repo in addition to all the other default distro repos.

The install instructions have all the commands for adding the repo and doing the install for the different supported distros:

https://emby.media/linux-server.html

jasonmcroy

Thanks. I tried this. I uninstalled what I had downloaded before. I clicked the link above (which is what I did the 1st time but before I downloaded the package and ran it from the GUI). This time I ran the commands in the terminal and installed everything again this way. It still shows me I have Beta version 3.1.196.0 and that there is an update available to beta version 3.1.2##### and to shutdown the server and manually update.

So, I shut down the server and ran sudo apt-get upgrade emby-server-beta and hit enter. It tells me that beta version 3.1.196.0 is the most current version. So, it looks like the repository is not updated with the newest Beta which brings me back to my question above, does the Linux Repo fall behind on being updated when there is a release for the Windows version?

Edited by jasonmcroy

puithove

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.  In your original e-mail it sounded like you had just downloaded the package without setting up the repo, and were expecting Emby to be able to update itself (it doesn't on Linux).  My bad.  So yea, it does sound like the repo is probably behind. 

You can sometimes check (it depends on how the repo is set up) just by going to the repo URL such as for Ubuntu:  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04/

Here you can see that .196 is the beta version that's in the repo.  I believe they have these set up to automatically build on a schedule.  I do know that some of the build requirements changed recently (I build my own and had to install an additional dependency - might have been right around .196 actually), so maybe someone needs to update the build script or something.

jasonmcroy

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.  In your original e-mail it sounded like you had just downloaded the package without setting up the repo, and were expecting Emby to be able to update itself (it doesn't on Linux).  My bad.  So yea, it does sound like the repo is probably behind. 

You can sometimes check (it depends on how the repo is set up) just by going to the repo URL such as for Ubuntu:  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_16.04/

Here you can see that .196 is the beta version that's in the repo.  I believe they have these set up to automatically build on a schedule.  I do know that some of the build requirements changed recently (I build my own and had to install an additional dependency - might have been right around .196 actually), so maybe someone needs to update the build script or something.

Thanks. At least I know I am not just going crazy! lol