more problems with Version 3.0.8400.0

dcook

So I have another problem since updating to 

Version 3.0.8400.0

When I click on Latest Emby is giving me thumbnails for upcoming episodes that don't exist yet

For example here is how Lethal Weapon looks in Emby:

581a966b5d782_Capture.jpg

Episode 7 and 8 do not exist, and are not present on my server:

581a968dde47f_Capture2.jpg

I have checked many different shows, and also checked via Roku and web browser and its the same behavior.

Question:  Why is Emby putting upcoming episodes that don't exist in the "Latest" section?  Is this intentional behavior?  And if so how do I disable it so it works the way it used to?

Happy2Play

Do you have the options enabled?  User icon top right-Display "Display missing episodes within seasons"; "Display unaired episodes within seasons"

If not what server version did you update from?  The have been issues updating from old version and displaying unaired episodes.  If this is the case you will need to delete the library.db and allow it to rebuild.

I don't have those options checked:

581a9b6c1a97c_Capture3.jpg

However that seems to be what is happening, for some reason its putting upcoming episodes under the "Latest" heading, why would emby put upcoming episodes under "Latest" when there is already an "Upcoming" option to click?

Happy2Play

Yeah, I'm glad new fixes were added to Emby in build 8400 but it seems alot of things have been broken as well. I have noticed that HTTPS is unstable and can dropout making the website unreachable. I think the thing that is most frustrating is I downloaded the stable version but it runs like a developer version which is entirely unacceptable. Probably be a week or 2 until things are sorted out and until then my site is down as I don't allow users to connect without SSL.

That is why I usually wait months before updating in order to make sure all the bugs are resolved, but it seems more common now.  

According to the links that Happy provided this issue was reported back on Sept 19th,but I just updated last night and the same issue is there, so I don't understand why it was not resolved in the past 1.5 months?

Really there should be a lot more testing done before updates are made the production stable version which would prevent these issues from happening.

Edited by dcook

That is why I usually wait months before updating in order to make sure all the bugs are resolved, but it seems more common now.  

According to the links that Happy provided this issue was reported back on Sept 19th,but I just updated last night and the same issue is there, so I don't understand why it was not resolved in the past 1.5 months?

Really there should be a lot more testing done before updates are made the production stable version which would prevent these issues from happening.

We will be reviewing that database upgrade issue, but for now it is limited to users coming from older servers. It is fairly easy to rectify and just requires a little patience. You simply need to shut down the server, delete the library database file, and then start it back up and run a library scan. Thanks !

So by removing my library.db file and running a Library Scan it fixed the issue where I was getting future not yet existing episodes showing up in my "Recent" listing.

However my "Watched" "UnWatched" status for everything is still messed up.  Stuff that I had watched before is showing up as new unwatched, and its not simply that everything got changed to unwatched.  It seems to be almost random, some movies not others, some episodes, or even some whole seasons.

Is this expected behavior when you delete the library.db file?

Or is this another bug in 3.0.8400.0 ?

Happy2Play

During the library scan, yes.  But if it is that way after the library scan then, no.

The library scan has finished, and I have run a few more since then, and the watched vs unwatched status has not changed for all those old episodes and movies.

So by removing my library.db file and running a Library Scan it fixed the issue where I was getting future not yet existing episodes showing up in my "Recent" listing.

However my "Watched" "UnWatched" status for everything is still messed up.  Stuff that I had watched before is showing up as new unwatched, and its not simply that everything got changed to unwatched.  It seems to be almost random, some movies not others, some episodes, or even some whole seasons.

Is this expected behavior when you delete the library.db file?

Or is this another bug in 3.0.8400.0 ?

More than likely this has to do with the data available before vs. now.  We track things like watched status using a global ID so that we can re-build it in cases like this.  However, if before your items had an IMDb ID and now they have a tmdb ID then they will not match up.

Most of these issues in your case this time are the result of having waited so long to upgrade.  We try to test all upgrade paths but it is almost impossible to catch every situation back from every version.  It will probably be much less painful for you to allow updates more often :).

Happy2Play

Why would the ID changed for items that I already had in my library?

Well if an item had pervious metadata Emby doesn't add anything unless item is refreshed.

Why would the ID changed for items that I already had in my library?

Because we gather multiple "provider" IDs depending on what metadata providers you have and/or what existing metadata you may have.  So, if you replaced your metadata, the provider IDs available at the two different times could be different.

puithove

I had gone through the process of deleting the library.db twice because of testing the recent db performance improvements mentioned in the testing forum.  Both times I noticed that after library scan completed, the watched status was a little "off" - for instance random episodes in a tv series that was fully watched, were marked unwatched...

In both cases, a restart of the server after the successful scan completion rectified the issue.  Strange, but true.

• Like 1

I did not change any Metadata provider info, so the database should be exactly the same as it was before.

Does not explain why the watched/unwatched status would randomly be messed up

Because we gather multiple "provider" IDs depending on what metadata providers you have and/or what existing metadata you may have.  So, if you replaced your metadata, the provider IDs available at the two different times could be different.

It wouldn't have to be something you changed.  You could have had items before with very old metadata where everything was keyed off of IMDb ID and then, when you re-built the data, it got a tmdb ID and is now keyed off of that.

We use these IDs instead of our unique item IDs so that it is possible for this information to survive a move of the media but, since we allow multiple possible IDs, it isn't 100% reliable.

My suggestion would be to find an item you believe is marked incorrectly and look at the provider IDs.  If there is more than one, try deleting the first one and refreshing.