3.0.8000 Library Issue

diaz1510

diaz1510

Well, this latest update has thrown my library into turmoil....

It seems for TV shows, at least, it's created an entry for each of my letter folders.  I've got my naming convention as such:

TV SHows

- A

- Show 1

- Show 2

- etc...

- B

- Show 1

- etc

- etc

Anyway, the letter folders all seem to have random metadata that I can delete but keeps re-populating.  I've changed data type to "inherent" for each folder, done a new library scan, cleaned the database, but they still show up and the metadata keeps populating.

I've been around Emby for awhile and recall this issue a while back but can't remember what the fix was (thought it was I had to changed to "inherent").

What's changed with this latest update that it's doing this?

diaz1510

Just went and did further looking and found that metatdata for the actual shows undnerneath these folders has been deleted....cleared...

Example, my letter folder "A" is now being titled as the show "Two and a half men" with all the metadata related to that show., but the actual shows that fall under the "A" folder are still there, with titles, but no metadata...the folder above it (TJ Hooker) is actually the "J" folder....that was also renamed and had TJ Hooker metadata populated...

57ff64854f20a_01.jpg

And if you notice below for the show "The Americans", it no longer shows season sub-folders.....it just shows all episodes in a list not separated by season...

57ff66590e7ab_02.jpg

Edited by diaz1510

diaz1510

And when I just go to a recntly added show for example, notice what is listed as NEXT UP, as well as each "Season" folder....

Huh?

57ff690b44c0a_03.jpg

diaz1510

OK, seems one of my issues is that I changed the content type flag of each folder from TV to inherit...But I only did that because when I upgraded to 3.0.8000 my library was a mess after the first scan, so I thought it may have been that.

Problem is...now the option to change the type is no longer showing, even though it was available after my upgrade to 3.0.8000.  As soon as I changed it from TV to inherit and clicked save, the option disappeared.  I'd like to try this again and put it back, but how since it doesn't show?  Am I missing it?

Edited by diaz1510

There is a known issue with the content type selection not showing under certain conditions and it looks like you've hit those conditions. It will be resolved in a future release.

Why not just setup a TV library and add your A folder, B folder, etc?

diaz1510

LOL, I've been with emby for quite a while now...and have ALWAYS had this setup..not gonna change my setup now because of an error.  When will this be fixed?  My library is an absolute disaster.  It's not even something I can put up with while I wait for that future release, it's destroyed my library that bad. How do I go back to the older setup..I'd rather just not upgrade then.

Edited by diaz1510
  • Like 1

diaz1510

@@Luke

I tried your methods to change this, even created a test library with a few of the letter folders, but nothing populates in that library.  I've tried deleting the tvshow.nfo files as well, a rescan just recreates them as before. Nothing is working and my media library is unusable.  I'm pretty frustrated.  Spending the last few hours of my day trying to get something to work again that wasn't broken to begin with.

Your issue is that you flipped the content type and now you can't flip it back based on what i said earlier. We'll have the content type selection restored for the next release.

diaz1510

I think you a re right....that was my mistake for that. How soon can we expect this release?  I can't even really use emby right now, nor can any of my users, as it's so jumbled up...

We will have a follow-up to 8000 soon. The reason I suggested adding the subfolders instead was not because your A-Z thing is not supported. It is supported, but it's not a typical setup, therefore does not get quite as much testing which makes it a little fragile. So yes you can certainly continue with it, I'm only offering an alternative as a suggestion to keep it more simple.

diaz1510

@@Luke

What I'm saying is that I tried using you method and it still doesn't work.  What is the most common structure then?  I have 3 HDDs that have my TV Shows on them.  Each drive is TV Shows 01, TV Shows 02, and TV Shows 03.  01 has A-F, 02 has G-Q and 03 has the remainder.  I had all three of those added to the TV Show Library.

Just adding the show folders directly into each HDD seems like it would turn into a very long folder, as opposed to organizing it by alphabetical letter to keep things more tidy on the drives for search purposes.

I need to figure out what can be done at this very moment to get this working again at least with some sort of band-aid solution until there is a fix.  As I said it is basically unusable not because I don't want to but because it has become so jumbled and unorganized my family can't really navigate it at this point.

Edited by diaz1510

diaz1510

@@Luke

?

Trying to get this thing fixed today...I'd love some help here...

I'm no expert but if there is something you need me to do so we can get this thing up and running that would be awesome...

As I said, this thing is completely unusable

Please give me at least a band-aid fix...as I said, I tried your method of putting each letter folder into a library individually...it does not solve the issue

Edited by diaz1510

diaz1510

Hey @@Luke....I'm just ding some exploring right now and found more issues....When I add a new show to one of my folders (in this case "Berlin Station"), do a library scan and then have auto-organize place the show into the new folder, it does nothing.  The show won't auto-organize.  There is a TVDB entry for it so I know it's not that.

And when I try to hunt down the show through Emby web client by going to TV Shows, then selecting "B" on the side slider to get me to the shows with that letter, all the shows under "B" are mostly all the shows that begin with "T" and some other random shows...

There is no rhyme or reason to this.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty livid right now.  This worked 100% (for me at least) as of yesterday, having no issues and now this whole thing is unusable.  This was a common theme a few months ago (at least for my installations) and it seemed there was a long run of no issues with subsequent updates for awhile there, but I guess I'm back to having to pray, keep my fingers crossed, do a rain dance and light incense whenever an update gets deployed that it doesn't do something crazy to this thing.

Right now I'm back to going into windows explorer, and playing the media directly through VLC without emby even involved

The latest beta server should restore the content type option, but i would suggest staying where you are and setting up a TV library based on your A sub-folder. Then you can add additional folders to that same library, such as the B folder, so on and so forth.

diaz1510

@@Luke...okay, I'm not sure if I'm speaking english or not, but I've said it multiple times....creating folders like that isn't working!!!!  It;s not that I don't want to try this...I have, but it is not populating ANY media

Edited by diaz1510

diaz1510

Have you tried rolling back the server update?

Yes, but the library had been scanned when I updated to 3.0.8000 and even with the previous build, everything shows up completely jumbled a this point

@@Luke...okay, I'm not sure if I'm speaking english or not, but I've said it multiple times....creating folders like that isn't working!!!!  It;s not that I don't want to try this...I have, but it is not populating ANY media

Well you haven't offered any explanation of what that means.

Rolling back wont' help him because he needs access to the content type option which is now restored in the latest beta.

diaz1510

OK....I'm gonna have to break this down Barney style....

Step 1: I went to the server dashboard

Step 2: I clicked on the "Library" option on the left side

Step 3: I selected "Add Media Library"

Step 4: I added content type "TV"

Step 5: I changed display name to "TV Test Library"

Step 6: I clicked on the "+" icon to add a folder

Step 7: I added in the text box "\\myserver\TV Shows 01\A"

Step 8: I then clicked "OK"

Step 9: I repeated steps 6-8 for Folders B thru F

Step 10:I scanned the library

Step 11: I restarted the server

Step 12: I went to Emby web client

Step 13: I Selected the new folder/thumb image of "TV Test Library"

Step 14: I clicked on Suggestions Tab, it's void of anything

Step 15: I clicked on Latest Tab, it's void of anything

Step 16: I clicked on Upcoming Tab, it's void of anything

Step 17: I clicked on Shows Tab, it's void of anything

Step 18: I clicked on Episodes Tab, it's void of anything

Nothing is in there....absolutely nothing

update: BTW, I also still have the original TV Shows media library with the 3 drives I have my shows on as folders.  It still displays the shows, however in the jumbled format I have been describing.  It's the media library I've had setup since as far back as I've been with Emby

\\myserver\TV Shows 01

\\myserver\TV Shows 02

\\myserver\TV Shows 03

Now, I'm not saying I'm not doing something wrong, it's entirely possible, but I'm just getting frustrated that I have to spend so much of my day trying to fix something that WORKED!!!

Edited by diaz1510

diaz1510

@@Luke...what if I run the Beta version...change the content type back, rescan, then go back to 3.0.8000?

Edited by diaz1510

diaz1510

So this is the same issue that was discussed in Complex folder structure.

IDK, I hadn't read that post until just now.  Just glancing over it, it looks like it might be.  I hadn't bothered because I wasn't having any issues up until the latest update.  I had 3.0.7300 before this update and it was working fine for me.

Keep in mind, I'm no software/code expert.  I'm just a dumb Army grunt that knows just enough about computers to mess things up.  Everything I've learned about this is from the helpful folks on this forum and a bit of Google.  I just want to use a product that I feel I don't need to hire an IT department to manage.   That's kind of how I'm beginning to feel with Emby.  it's such an awesome product, but I never know when things are gonna go sideways on me and I just don't have time to constantly babysit this thing...

Edited by diaz1510

That's why I suggested using the recommended tv structure which is adding the path to your library in which the series folders are directly underneath. You are of course free to take other approaches, but the primary one is what most people are using and gets the most testing.

Your idea as far as content type goes is probably OK.

CBers

Rolling back wont' help him because he needs access to the content type option which is now restored in the latest beta.

@@Luke...what if I run the Beta version...change the content type back, rescan, then go back to 3.0.8000?

If you go Beta, which by the sounds of Luke's earlier comment contains the fix, stay on Beta until the fix is released into Stable.

Only a suggestion by the way.