Server for WD My Cloud NAS

igrgic

Lighthammer

I highly wouldn't recommend this unless you're doing it almost exclusively as a thought experiment / learning experience.

I tried this idea in the past a few years back before I built out my server technology. It worked, but it was really bad. 

The problem is the WD NAS is so underpowered that, at maximum, you can run a mere two streams at once and so much of the backend network topology relies on this.

I had much better luck investing in building an ATOM based NAS, but once I got above 6 TB, that poor thing couldn't keep up. 

If you're looking for the cheapest way to get your foot in the door and what you need to to feel confident to build something much stronger, I'd highly recommend picking up a mid range Z-Box. They'll set you back $200 but its much more powerful then the WD NASes will ever be; unles you get WD's high end NAS in which case you may as well build a computer.

The problem with consumer grade NASes is you can always build a Linux or Windows machine to do the task cheaper and with higher quality. . 

Is it possible to put the server on Android TV, that will replace Windows server, so I'll have one less device.

Possible, yes and something we'd like to do.  

However, you will still be limited by whatever hardware you are trying to utilize.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
alex@fadata.bg

I highly wouldn't recommend this unless you're doing it almost exclusively as a thought experiment / learning experience.

I tried this idea in the past a few years back before I built out my server technology. It worked, but it was really bad. 

The problem is the WD NAS is so underpowered that, at maximum, you can run a mere two streams at once and so much of the backend network topology relies on this.

I had much better luck investing in building an ATOM based NAS, but once I got above 6 TB, that poor thing couldn't keep up. 

If you're looking for the cheapest way to get your foot in the door and what you need to to feel confident to build something much stronger, I'd highly recommend picking up a mid range Z-Box. They'll set you back $200 but its much more powerful then the WD NASes will ever be; unles you get WD's high end NAS in which case you may as well build a computer.

The problem with consumer grade NASes is you can always build a Linux or Windows machine to do the task cheaper and with higher quality. . 

I have WD NAS PR2100 with preinstalled PLEX and the power is more than enough for supporting of 3 and more parallel streams with parallel recording of 2-3 TV channels from TVButler. Lack of release for WD NAS is the only reason for me to avoid using Emby.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Lighthammer

Sorry Luke, I haven't used a WD NAS in a VERY long time. Besides having the PCB laying around some place, I have no one way to really test it.

Perhaps if someone wants the PCB, I might be willing to donate it to your testing. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...