Search for Tags

famadorian

If all we wanted to do was get the items into search results, then sure. But more care has to be taken as to how they're ranked vs. other items in the search results, and then possibly look at the search display to see if we want to indicate somehow that a search result came from a match on a tag. If we just do it as you're suggesting, then we're going to have users who have forgotten about their tags coming back and saying "search not working", because they're going to think it's showing the wrong items.

• 2 weeks later...
PenkethBoy

This is odd as you can search for "people", "genres","studios" etc but not tags

when a person, studio or genre comes up its clear what they are in the text below them if the picture does not indicate what it is

at the moment tags are collected (e.g. photos from exif data) but not usable - so not much point having them - unless they are used somewhere i have not found yet???

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
alchemi183

Is it not possible to search for tags in any way?

I found a way, in the web app. I haven't checked other Emby apps.

Use the filter feature to "search" by tag.

Within a given library, depending on the media type for that library, you see several headings or tabs across the top that represent different ways to view your library data. For example, if the media type of the library is movies, then you see Suggestions, Movies, Trailers, Collections, Genres, and Studios across the top. Some of those views have a filter icon near the top. (In the case of movie libraries, the Movies and Trailers views have filter icons, the other views do not.) Choose a view that has the ability to filter. If any of the items in that view have tags, then one of the things you can filter on is tags. (You won't see tags in the filter if none of the items have tags.) When you choose a tag in the filter, the view limits itself to only the items that have that tag.

at the moment tags are collected (e.g. photos from exif data) but not usable - so not much point having them - unless they are used somewhere i have not found yet???

I'm not sure about other ways to use them, but one use of tags is within the Parental Controls feature where you can exclude items by tag.

Edited by alchemi183
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
houk008

alchemi183 method work for movies or series but not for music video. This category do not have special filters, only basic like watched od likeit

• 4 months later...
SimoneH24

Hi, any updates?
I'm using Emby especially for personal video and the tags are very important for a more specific search. It would be great if the search function worked also on "tags" field

Edited by SimoneH24

• 6 months later...
gismo33

Search or, more accurately, filter for tags is now possible, thanks, but I find tags even more powerful so:

• Currently we can select multiple movies and can mark them as watched, delete them, add to collection etc (bulk processing). It would be great if we can set or remove tags also for multiple-selected-movies because setting it for every movie one by one is pretty time consuming.
  • My movies are stored each in their own "movie-title-folder", and all of them into one superior folder just called movies (so I just have only one library with type movie). Since I can only select whole libraries for other users to have access or not, every other user can pretty much see all movies. (I don't want to separate some movies in another "movie media libraries"). Currently I am using the tags to exclude movies for users. It would be great if tags can be used to create something like a "smart libraries", so for e.g. I added to all my animation and children movies a tag called "kids" and all movies with that tag would be stored in a "smart library" which I can share with other users. But also for my own user it would be great because I can group movies into custom libraries like I want and can access them directly through my "my media". With using tags movies could be grouped into multiple "smart libraries" which is also pretty nice.
Edited by gismo33

Hi, yes multi-select editing is also something we'd like to add in the future. Thanks.

• Like 1

gismo33

Hi, yes multi-select editing is also something we'd like to add in the future. Thanks.

Nice, looking forward to it. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, whats about my second "feature request" with tags. I hope you understand what i mean above and what my problem is at the moment. Currently i have ALL my movies in one superior folder so i can effectively only share the whole library or nothing. How can i create "virtual" or "smart" libraries so that it is easier to share specific libraries and not "real" big one ? This also would give an opportunity to group movies into custom "libraries".  I find tags a nice solution group movies into multiple "virtual/smart" libraries but i am open to other solutions if they exists?!  Much thanks.

Edited by gismo33

• 4 weeks later...
Elenthil

i will also look forward to tag multiply items at once.

The tags can then also used in Kodi for Smart Playlists.

Maybe one idea is to have a custom collection and everything you put in this collection will automatically get the tag of the collection.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
WW_Emby

Would it not be fairly easy to at least put a TAG line in the main video display after Genre and Director?

Say limit it to the first 3 if there are excess?

5b54e71f7282b_TagLine.png

That should already be there, although it's underneath the overview right now.

• 1 month later...