Search for Tags

famadorian

• 2 years later...
mibro0224

Is searching multiple tags possible or planned? For example in my photos, I want to search for pictures that contain the tags of "Joe" and "Jane" to find photos of Joe and Jane together. Currently, I can only search for photos that have either "Joe" or "Jane" which is limiting.

• Like 1

rbjtech

I agree this would be nice to have, but are you aware in Photo's there is already a pre-filtered list via Tag's anyway (imported from the photo's EXIF tag) ? 

So if you had filtered by 'Joe' and 'Jane' previously, then they should automatically appear as two lists ?

Capture.thumb.PNG.f61d4da6928bf718eb215bcb5e372f19.PNG

mibro0224

Yes thank you I am aware, but this does not solve my problem. If I have 1000 pictures of Jane, there may be 5 that also have Joe. Similarly, if I have 2000 pictures of Joe, only 5 may also contain Jane. In the current configuration, there is no way to filter for pictures with BOTH Joe and Jane. I would need to filter for Jane, then manually look for Joe.

Logical operator support like AND and OR in the search would be a very nice feature and would solve this problem for me.

rbjtech

You can use OR filters, you cannot currently use AND filters ... 

tag1.PNG.667095be58816c4690532b964dfbbff8.PNG

in this example, I'm showing Photo's with a Tag of '1994' OR 'Ben'

tag2.PNG.f98af0c82d2096f1a708e8d7a87ee301.PNG

Just select the Tag's you want from the drop down..

Do you not have these options ?

Edited by rbjtech

Inclusive and Exclusive would be nice too. Where the tags are assumed to start with + and are inclusive. But you could start tags with - which would make them exclusive and not get included in results.

It would make it possible to filter by tag XXX and use exclusive (-) mode get all results but XXX. Filter by XXX in inclusive (+) mode and only get XXX. If no mode (- or +) is put in front it is assumed inclusive.

Having AND with OR would be icing on the cake and allow setting complex filter patterns. Those filter patterns could possibly be extended into view tabs at the top in the future. That would be user-defined custom view tabs created via the filter menu on the grid and saved into view tabs. That would rock. Are we there yet? Of course it would mean lots of view tabs would be up there. View tabs would need to scroll and such. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 3

mibro0224

@rbjtech thanks so much for elaborating. You are correct, I overlooked this feature in the filter and this is a means of performing the 'AND' searches I was hoping for. I appreciate you pointing this out and it solves my problem in the short-term.

I do find that filtering is not an intuitive means of searching though and I agree with @speechles that logical operators and inclusive/exclusive options would vastly improve the functionality of the search feature. I hope this can be considered for a future update.

mibro0224

Actually I was mistaken and misread, the filtering only performs 'OR' operations as you mentioned. There is no means to perform 'AND' operations, so I am still stuck needing to manually search for pictures of Jane and Joe 😔

HI, yes more search filters and clauses are certainly possible for the future. thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Mediaholic948

I am currently taking Emby for a test drive, primarily to see how well it does with my personal pictures (currently 35k worth). Have been a user of Plex for many years and its Photos library features leave much to be desired (just about everything actually).

So far I am much more impressed with how Emby handles pictures, especially the fact that it actually scans, and uses, the tags in my pictures. Does Emby scan just the EXIF tags, or the XMP tags as well?

On 6/15/2021 at 10:56 PM, mibro0224 said:

Is searching multiple tags possible or planned? For example in my photos, I want to search for pictures that contain the tags of "Joe" and "Jane" to find photos of Joe and Jane together. Currently, I can only search for photos that have either "Joe" or "Jane" which is limiting.

I am rather disappointed on the inability to perform and "AND" search on picture tags as @mibro0224pointed out above. That would defintely make it easier to find that picture of my son on his fourth birthday if I could use the search bar to search by "[son's name] AND [birthday] AND [year]". Adding this feature would be a tremendous help to those of us who put so much time into tagging our pictures so that we, and the rest of our families, can enjoy them.

On 6/16/2021 at 1:20 PM, Luke said:

HI, yes more search filters and clauses are certainly possible for the future. thanks for the feedback.

@Lukeare "more search filters and clauses" for photo tags on Emby's radar to actually implement any time soon? It's been 2½ years since the last response.

@Lukeare "more search filters and clauses" for photo tags on Emby's radar to actually implement any time soon? It's been 2½ years since the last response.

Hi, yes they are.

Mediaholic948

I look forward to it! Also, I really appreciate Emby giving us personal photo fanatics some attention.

Purchased an Emby premier license today, so my learning process has begun. See you in a future thread...

Edited by Mediaholic948
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
datapunk

Any news on it? I just tried and was surprised and very disappointed that there are only OR filters, as far as I could tell.

Looking for Joseph AND Mary is still a reasonable search request in my book.

Hi. No update yet, but supporting ors and ands makes sense. Thanks.