Is Emby Roku team going to update client look/feel?

butch79

SHSPVR

The highest UI resolution a Roku understands is 1080p.  We define our UI at that resolution and the rest of the display chain will scale it up or down as necessary from there.

Hmm even the Roku Ultra 4k models ?

Hmm even the Roku Ultra 4k models ?

Yes.  The UI is still rendered at 1080p.  It is only the video that can render at 2160.

I'd love to check it out as well, knowing that it will still be buggy.  But for some reason, the Emby team likes to keep Alpha/Beta for clients very close to the vest.

There is no point in putting something out that misses most of everyone's expectations so we like to have at least basic functionality fairly solid before a wide beta release.

The Holidays and some illness have set us back from our original schedule but we hope to have a public beta available for you to try soon.  To set expectations - this first beta will not have Live TV support yet so if that's what you're waiting for I'm afraid it will be a bit longer.

pclausen

I understand.  Excited to hear it is getting pretty close!

Not concerned about Live TV support, just the improved UI for browsing my Movies and TV Shows.

Looking forward to it disappointed by the lack of live TV but looking forward to testing it when it is available.

butch79

My 4k TV does 120fps. My Roku Ultra supports 4k with 60fps. Will this have an option to do 60fps or 120fps or even 240fps? Will it automatically do this based on the resolution the Roku is set to? Will there be any option to easily set this in preferences?

• Like 1

My 4k TV does 120fps. My Roku Ultra supports 4k with 60fps. Will this have an option to do 60fps or 120fps or even 240fps? Will it automatically do this based on the resolution the Roku is set to? Will there be any option to easily set this in preferences?

We are using the standard Roku playback engine and, to my knowledge, there is no way to control the refresh rate of the display or Roku device itself.  I would assume if your TV can adjust to the incoming signal then it will.

We are using the standard Roku playback engine and, to my knowledge, there is no way to control the refresh rate of the display or Roku device itself. I would assume if your TV can adjust to the incoming signal then it will.

Actually, you can control vsync.. but... only in flavors of 30/60(25/50 UK) and only when using roImageCanvas/r2d2_bitmaps with the "roku videogame" api. The roku locks vsync at 60fps(50fps UK) and upconverts everything else. One vsync to fit them all!

There is a feature requests thread on roku forums to get things added users want:

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96659

Edited by speechles

reggierat

Following this eagerly, I have just added a Roku as a 3rd Media Streamer in the house and very excited by the screenshots of the new version

bcm00re

I agree that those screen sure do look nice!  Can anyone confirm or deny that a grid (Live TV) guide is also in the works? 

I used to be a monthly contributor a couple years ago, but the wife finally decided streaming our television was not acceptable to her.  With Sling TV adding a cloud DVR, streaming should again pass the wife-test.  So now I'm looking for something manage/watch both Live TV and previously recorded content.  A good grid guide for Roku to go with the screen shots I've seen would be enough to purchase a Lifetime Emby Premiere (and I see that the 'lifetime' is twice what it used to be priced).

With Sling TV adding a cloud DVR, streaming should again pass the wife-test.  So now I'm looking for something manage/watch both Live TV and previously recorded content.  A good grid guide for Roku to go with the screen shots I've seen would be enough to purchase a Lifetime Emby Premiere (and I see that the 'lifetime' is twice what it used to be priced).

Sling TV does not have a conventional grid-style guide.  What do you think about that interface?

bcm00re

Sling TV does not have a conventional grid-style guide. What do you think about that interface?

I think it makes it harder to see what is airing in the future. I would prefer to just have a grid. That said, the Sling TV format would be better than what is currently available in Emby's Roku app.

I do hear that PlayStation Vue has a traditional grid on some hardware. I also see that Tablo's Roku app has a grid guide -- so it is possible. Doesn't Emby Theater offer a traditional grid guide?

Edited by bcm00re

Almost anything is "possible".  It is usually just a matter of how outside the norms you have to go in order to do it which then impacts how long it takes to do and how the end result performs.  There are also other considerations.

Roku is its own technology.  What is easy to do on other platforms is a whole different story on this one.

We haven't gotten to this implementation yet so I'm not positive what form it will take but we will get there soon.

• Like 1

bcm00re

Almost anything is "possible".  It is usually just a matter of how outside the norms you have to go in order to do it which then impacts how long it takes to do and how the end result performs.  There are also other considerations.

Roku is its own technology.  What is easy to do on other platforms is a whole different story on this one.

We haven't gotten to this implementation yet so I'm not positive what form it will take but we will get there soon.

It's just software so you can do anything!  ;)  I jest because I also write software.  I have an EE degree but have been (professionally) writing software for almost 20 years.

The more I think about it a SlingTV-like solution would be good.  It makes a lot of sense from the implementation standpoint, and it keeps things consistent when switching between SlingTV and Emby.

Allan Cameron

I'm no software engineer but I am also smart enough to know that every system development kit on every box has its limitations Within it's software. So really not just anything can be done. In a way it's actually a good thing because that's what makes each box unique in the end. I have no doubt this will be a nice client when it's done.

bcm00re

a1b2c3,

Did you miss the part where I said I was joking? I was using (to poke fun at) some phrases I sometimes hear at work from middle/upper management that don't really understand software. I thought software developers at other companies might hear similiar ignorant statments.

Earlier in this thread I pointed out that the Tablo channel for Roku has a grid guide -- so it is possible with Roku.

The Time Warner Cable / Spectrum app also has a grid based selection.

Anyone have screen shots of these presentations?  Have people actually used them and know how they behave or are you just looking at images?

3b9eadfbbafc4cc9667146df7f2bb726.jpg

42ee6590d855d5bf1dbd113cb2b130d9.jpg

ddd5b4e0b379595267bbab755329e416.jpg

The way pluto.tv does it is much better. Includes the mini player on the guide if watching something. The pluto app is using stock scene graph nodes, nothing special. The TWC app is using native code (read as paid partner access) with the roku NDK.

Edited by speechles

bcm00re

Anyone have screen shots of these presentations?  Have people actually used them and know how they behave or are you just looking at images?

Here us a link to an (old) article that also has Roku screen shots:

http://techdissected.com/news/tablos-new-roku-app-and-amazon-fire-tv-app-now-live/

I personally have not used it because I do not own a Tablo.

Edited by bcm00re

The focus is still to get a beta version out the door first without the Live TV stuff, right?

Yes, the guide will have to come later.

Those images are almost certainly Android/Fire TV...

The images in that link are definitely from the Roku. I have a Tablo and use the app with it. It's kind of slow but it works.

Though I would probably drop the Tablo if we had a guide for the wife in Emby. Not at the top of my list though. Ready to start testing the new Emby app.

@@speechles which interface is this?

42ee6590d855d5bf1dbd113cb2b130d9.jpg

Thats the newest version of TWC roku app (1080p version). It has a mini player too in bottom corner. I believe it uses some of the NDK to do this. The native development kit you need partner access to apply for. Edited by speechles