Is Emby Roku team going to update client look/feel?

butch79

chattojimnow

Will this be available for the sideload version aswell???? and if you need testers :) interested!

Edited by chattojimnow

bennymac

Guys, the wife and I reckon the new app is looking awesome. She's hoping there will be a way to create or import music playlists - play and shuffle them :P

Guys, the wife and I reckon the new app is looking awesome. She's hoping there will be a way to create or import music playlists - play and shuffle them :P

Then I reckon she will be happy :).

CBers

Okay folks - here are some teaser shots to show you we really are working on it. A limited functionality beta will hopefully be available soon.

What will be the minimum OS/Roku required to run this please?

What will be the minimum OS/Roku required to run this please?

Firmware 7.2 and access to the Roku store (at least initially).

All Roku models of any reasonable currency are being upgraded to 7.5.x by Roku.

Sky's NowTV is only on 7.0.4215. Sky has a 7.2 update in testing for the last month, and it should come to sky boxes next year. Maybe by then a sideloadable version becomes available. One can hope. Plex abandoned its Sky users and left them in the cold.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

im85288

I don't think Plex care a less about providing apps that a user must side-load onto their system. As a supplier it is easier for them to handle that process via the roku store, it is the decision of SKY uk to not use the roku store that brings upon this problem...in fact it is what Sky want, they sell the now tv device at a subsidised cost and want to restrict what apps the user can access. As an end purchaser, users must be aware that if you pay peanuts you cannot expect to have all the bells and whistles...this is why they do not call it a roku box but instead brand it as a now tv box. The cost difference is about £40 (from memory) so I would advise users to pay a bit extra and get the official roku model that supports the roku store for future peace of mind.

butch79

The screen shots look great. Thank you for all the hard work! Any ETA for private channel testing? Will there be a search feature?

It is once bitten, twice shy. Plex obviously noticed Emby was borrowing some code of theirs. To alleviate this in the future, stop handing out zips, stop making code public. Close the source.

The same argument can be made about Emby. As others alluded, the new app is closed source or open? So far, for all intents and purposes, it is closed. This makes sense as you dont want plex breathing down your neck rolling through your code. You also dont want to give away certain parts (think liveTV) without having some sort of mehanism to tie into emby premier and verify paid supporters.

I understand entirely how the "show me yours, ill show you mine" works. When they dont show theirs you instinctively dont want to show yours either. This hurts users who sideload who may be premier supporters. There is no need to treat them as lower class because they want to sideload emby on their nowtv box. There is no need for them to have both a nowtv and a real roku.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pclausen

Wow, that looks awesome!  Can't wait.  Can't tell from the screenshots, but does the UI scale to native display resolution?  i.e. on a Roku Ultra on a 4K TV, is the UI rendering at 4k?

Now if we can just get Roku to begin bit-streaming all audio formats, we'd be set.

The highest UI resolution a Roku understands is 1080p.  We define our UI at that resolution and the rest of the display chain will scale it up or down as necessary from there.

• Like 1

CBers

I understand entirely how the "show me yours, ill show you mine" works. When they dont show theirs you instinctively dont want to show yours either. This hurts users who sideload who may be premier supporters. There is no need to treat them as lower class because they want to sideload emby on their nowtv box. There is no need for them to have both a nowtv and a real roku.

@@radeon and @@Tikuf created a process for installing @@gcw07's Roku app on Now TV boxes without exposing the code.

@@radeon and @@Tikuf created a process for installing @@gcw07's Roku app on Now TV boxes without exposing the code.

If there is a way to directly install a Roku package file onto your Now TV then that may be an option.  Just not something I've investigated at this point.

CBers

If there is a way to directly install a Roku package file onto your Now TV then that may be an option. Just not something I've investigated at this point.

@@radeon may still have the code, as he's the only one of those 3 still active on the forums.

Installing the app from a url that the loader zip downloads. Ive done that before. But unzip the loader, and see what it is doing and do the same thing on your pc the loader is doing and intercept the real app. The issue is you may not have to directly expose the code in the zip that gets loaded. But in the zip that gets loaded is exposed where the unexposed app code is hiding that it is downloading every time in launches. Requires download time, and internet connection. The app cannot be used when the internet is down. This is a huge bonus to keeping all assets local. It still works when internet doesnt.

Roku used to let you side-load .pkg files directly on any roku (or nowtv) which let you share something that could be sideloaded without sharing the zip. Roku closed that loophole in the 6.x firmware.

Edited by speechles

radeon

If there is a way to directly install a Roku package file onto your Now TV then that may be an option.  Just not something I've investigated at this point.

Hey! Sorry, had a mad busy build up to Christmas and only just seen this. 

I do still have the code and would gladly share if people want it. I wrote the lot and offered it to gcw and tikuf as I just wanted to keep things available to others. Drop me a pm if you want it. 

There is a version of it on http://ballingtons.com/roku/ if you want to take a look. I don't know what version that will install so I wouldn't suggest running unless you're willing to overwrite with your own manually again. 

Cheers!  

Edited by radeon
  • Like 1

pclausen

I'd love to check it out as well, knowing that it will still be buggy.  But for some reason, the Emby team likes to keep Alpha/Beta for clients very close to the vest.