Is Emby Roku team going to update client look/feel?

butch79

Guest Grace1313

Honestly, it doesn't seem like the Luke and Ebr would want this.  They've pretty much turned away anyone who can build an app superior to theirs.

There is also no reason to raise money for anyone other than Speechles.  Devs are making money, I'm sure they can afford a $70 roku. 

Roku owners shouldn't have to beg and plead for updates, etc., let alone raise money.  Some people are already giving money with a premiere membership.

I used to do that too, but when you see every other app being updated constantly and the Roku being ignored it becomes frustrating.

Luke's reply of "We're planning on updating" in 3...2...1...

mediacowboy

Luke please let me know if you need more beta testers for the roku update. 

Edited by mediacowboy

That means there is active (early) development, and also, I just wanted to mention it since it is now on the previous page and not everyone might be seeing it.

I am embarrassed to say it, but we did this once before and the results were minor.

And I'm highly appreciative of that, and actively use the device for testing. It took us a bit longer to get to this than we would have liked, but it has our full attention now.

moviefan

Haw.. def prefer psilocybin over mescaline. No need to smoke it unless you top your bowl of weed with it, like people do with hash. Just chew it up, and prepare to take flight. No stewardesses or in-flight movies required.

Since when do you need to smoke mescaline?

Since when do you need to smoke mescaline?

Since the indians wanted a faster effect. Drink it, eat it, smoke it. It's all the same. You can "see" sounds and they make colors change, and trees may look purple and talk to you. Listen to their wisdom. Trees have been around millions of years.

moviefan

Well, you certainly don't need to smoke it.  Actually seems like a huge waste.  But I guess if you're Native American and have peyote everywhere and you're impatient it makes sense.

Anyway, learned something new today.  Always thought the only effective way was eating.

Sorry totally OT.

Yah trees are fun to listen to...

If you make a new version of Emby for Roku, please keep the existing one functioning, as I have no intention to go buy a new Roku device, when my Roku3 works flawlessly with the current Emby App.

If you make a new version of Emby for Roku, please keep the existing one functioning, as I have no intention to go buy a new Roku device, when my Roku3 works flawlessly with the current Emby App.

Never fear. The new app will of course replace the old app... but.. a new "classic emby" app url on the roku store will be created. You can also use the "blue neon" app as it will never get replaced.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Waldonnis

The new version will likely be done with SceneGraph, which relies on version 7.x of the Roku firmware.  The Roku 3 (even the older model of it, of which I have two) already runs that firmware, so you'll be safe there.  I have several test channels written with SceneGraph elements that work very well on my Roku 3s - and look pretty too  ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Allan Cameron

Can someone please tell me if this new Roku client when its released going to need a premium ongoing subscription, one time purchase.. or free?

Can someone please tell me if this new Roku client when its released going to need a premium ongoing subscription, one time purchase.. or free?

Honestly, we haven't fully decided yet.  All of those are possible.  A few points:

1) If it does require Premiere or a purchase, then we will keep the old app available as well.  Actually, this will be the case anyway because the new app may not run on some really old devices.

2) We really are getting closer here and should have a limited beta available before too much longer.

3) Full public release is complicated by a particularly unbelievable policy on the part of Roku.  I guess this is a good policy if you work for them but, for a platform as large as they are I am surprised by it.  The Roku app submission process completely shuts down between Nov 18 and Jan 15.  Yes, you read that correctly.  No new applications or app updates to public channels are possible for an entire two month period at the end of the year.

4) Due to point 3, the first iterations of this app, perhaps even after beta, will be as a private channel.  During this time period, it will definitely be free (although Premiere only features such as Cinema Mode and Live TV recording will still require Premiere).

• Like 1

butch79

What is the status of getting the new client out? Live TV no longer works on the Roku's do to the new roku OS update. The only solution is to roll back the Roku OS to the older version. We need a real solution ASAP.

mediacowboy

What is the status of getting the new client out? Live TV no longer works on the Roku's do to the new roku OS update. The only solution is to roll back the Roku OS to the older version. We need a real solution ASAP.

I do not speak for the emby Roku developers but as this has affected me I have been following it closely. Early results of a fix from the Roku developers is showing promise. 

Allan Cameron

Honestly, we haven't fully decided yet. All of those are possible. A few points:

1) If it does require Premiere or a purchase, then we will keep the old app available as well. Actually, this will be the case anyway because the new app may not run on some really old devices.

2) We really are getting closer here and should have a limited beta available before too much longer.

3) Full public release is complicated by a particularly unbelievable policy on the part of Roku. I guess this is a good policy if you work for them but, for a platform as large as they are I am surprised by it. The Roku app submission process completely shuts down between Nov 18 and Jan 15. Yes, you read that correctly. No new applications or app updates to public channels are possible for an entire two month period at the end of the year.

4) Due to point 3, the first iterations of this app, perhaps even after beta, will be as a private channel. During this time period, it will definitely be free (although Premiere only features such as Cinema Mode and Live TV recording will still require Premiere).

Yeah that's crazy Roku feels the need for a massive downtime like that. I'm sure they have their reasoning but not sure what that could be at least that would make sense from the market standpoint. As far as deciding what road to take the new client down hopefully you do not choose a premium subscription required. Given your largest user base would be nonsubscribers you would limit the amount of people that could access the new client. People such as myself do not mind a one time purchase even if it's a little on the high side but a subscription needed to play my own content wouldn't be something I would be interested in. I think a one time purchase is enough support for development. People that need the extra bells and whistle's can justify subscription, this way you have both and keep a strong user base. There are plenty of other options out there such as the most popular one plex that require no subscription for the Roku client or any other client for that matter for basic play. A required subscription will only encourage many people to move on to something else free such as plex and I don't think that would make sense for Emby. Even if you will have the old client always available for free that's not going to cut it for a lot of people when there is a newer more modern client available they can't access without a subscription.

Either way it's just my thoughts as I do realize you will do what you think is best.

I am really looking forward to the new Roku client.

Keep up the good work, and thank you to all developers.

Edited by a1b2c3

Allan Cameron

Emby Premiere has a one-time payment option as well.

Sure if you got anywhere from $50-$100 to spend depending on where you live, Canada and other countries alike are MUCH more with the exchange rate to US. Which most could not afford or could not justify spending just for using "renting" an app to play their own content. Also only the lifetime is a one time payment without expiring for continued use. Point being that the cost is out of reach for a lot more people and a one time realistic purchase cost of an app is far more in reach for most.

Edited by a1b2c3

Allan Cameron

Oh i forgot to ask, is the new client going to have a full HD 1080p UI? So many Roku apps have a 720p UI and images especially are blurry compared to what they should be crisp and sharp. A good example is an app on the Xbox one and the same app on the Roku. Compared it's night and day for clarity, crisp detail on posters/artwork. The Newer Roku's finally have a 1080p interface so hopefully the app gets the same.

Oh i forgot to ask, is the new client going to have a full HD 1080p UI? So many Roku apps have a 720p UI and images especially are blurry compared to what they should be crisp and sharp. A good example is an app on the Xbox one and the same app on the Roku. Compared it's night and day for clarity, crisp detail on posters/artwork. The Newer Roku's finally have a 1080p interface so hopefully the app gets the same.

Yes.  It is being designed at 1080 and 720 will scale down (instead of the other direction).

• Like 3

Allan Cameron

Yes.  It is being designed at 1080 and 720 will scale down (instead of the other direction).

Nice, so will the UI display at 1080p on the newer Roku's? And scale down to 720p for the older models?

butch79

Any update on this. LiveTv is still not working on my Roku3. I can no longer roll back the OS update. Is there any way to roll out this as a private channel this coming week so we can test?

Happy2Play

Any update on this. LiveTv is still not working on my Roku3. I can no longer roll back the OS update. Is there any way to roll out this as a private channel this coming week so we can test?

Did the v2.25 not fix the issue?

The new app will not be available until it is ready, so you will just have to be patient.