Fixes that should be address for several pieces of Emby Software

jayw654

jayw654

Emby Theater 2.4.5 Bugs:

When changing view to “Albums”  Things look un organized but using the web it is perfect as I use Album> A-Z.

Emby Roku:

Doesn’t store password and this is a severe headache to have to re-enter it all the time.

Emby v3.0.5972.0 Server:

The ability to disable Public HTTP as I only wanted SSL connections available, even if it means it cause some apps and services not to function but I haven’t found anything that I use affected.

DLNA doesn’t work properly when it comes to populating all the movies for the Roku 3 and Roku 4. The Movies are in MP4 with either H.264 or H.265 (Yes, all of them) However, my 20 dollar copy of Mezzmo populates all the movies with art and synopsis for each correctly.

DLNA needs ability to customized folders which also includes being able to delete unwanted folders, such as “Recent” and the other unwanted folders.

DLNA needs to be able to have its own folders not viewable from login accounts. Why?, Because what I stream via the internet are a lower bitrate due to bandwidth restrictions and file support from what is available on my local network. Example if I wanted to stream a 40mbps h.265 on my local network to a tv in my house for the best picture possible that is fine but that’s not realistic to stream via the internet so being able to hide files that cannot be used otherwise is simply a good idea and makes the software look and feel more professional. I don’t need to see something I can’t use, in other words.

BTW Thanks for making great software but please fix the issues listed above. A premiere lifetime supporter.

Edited by jayw654

JeremyFr79

Emby Theater 2.4.5 Bugs:

When changing view to “Albums”  Things look un organized but using the web it is perfect as I use Album> A-Z.

Emby Roku:

Doesn’t store password and this is a severe headache to have to re-enter it all the time.

Emby v3.0.5972.0 Server:

The ability to disable Public HTTP as I only wanted SSL connections available, even if it means it cause some apps and services not to function but I haven’t found anything that I use affected.

DLNA doesn’t work properly when it comes to populating all the movies for the Roku 3 and Roku 4. The Movies are in MP4 with either H.264 or H.265 (Yes, all of them) However, my 20 dollar copy of Mezzmo populates all the movies with art and synopsis for each correctly.

DLNA needs ability to customized folders which also includes being able to delete unwanted folders, such as “Recent” and the other unwanted folders.

DLNA needs to be able to have its own folders not viewable from login accounts. Why?, Because what I stream via the internet are a lower bitrate due to bandwidth restrictions and file support from what is available on my local network. Example if I wanted to stream a 40mbps h.265 on my local network to a tv in my house for the best picture possible that is fine but that’s not realistic to stream via the internet so being able to hide files that cannot be used otherwise is simply a good idea and makes the software look and feel more professional. I don’t need to see something I can’t use, in other words.

BTW Thanks for making great software but please fix the issues listed above. A premiere lifetime supporter.

So on the password issue, if you set it up to use Emby connect it should work correctly, I have several users that had the same issue once they created connect accounts and I added their connect account to the server account they logged in automatically just fine.

As for the DLNA needing it's own folders, you can create an account for DLNA to use exclusively and then through user settings adjust what content etc you want available to the DLNA account.  However DLNA only works over a local network so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea you can use DLNA over the internet it doesn't and will never work that way.  Emby is also smart enough (even with DLNA) to transcode when needed to lower bitrate etc as needed.

The album sorting between theater and the web client is exactly the same.

drashna

Emby v3.0.5972.0 Server:

Settings -> Advanced -> Hosting (default).

Uncheck "Enable automatic port mapping".  

Check the "Report https as external address",

You'll need to manually forward the port in your router.  Find your router in this guide, and follow the instructions:

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Emby/default.htm

Skip the "8096" option, as this is the HTTP option. 8920 is the HTTPS site. 

jayw654

Already have SSL setup in the manner described by drashna.

"The album sorting between theater and the web client is exactly the same." By Administrator

Sorry but it doesn't seem so as when I select it things are still all over the place. Also I found another bug.

When using web access with Google Chrome browser while adjusting resolution & bandwidth playback will crash in an unrecoverable manner. Meaning user is unable to change resolution back as the user has transcoding abilities disabled. In Opera browser its better as user simply can’t play video However, the user can still select a higher rate above direct play and play movie again. Direct Play disappears as well making harder to change resolution back.

The sorting between the two apps is exactly the same. Please describe your issue in more detail. Screenshots are great. thanks.

jayw654

So on the password issue, if you set it up to use Emby connect it should work correctly, I have several users that had the same issue once they created connect accounts and I added their connect account to the server account they logged in automatically just fine.

As for the DLNA needing it's own folders, you can create an account for DLNA to use exclusively and then through user settings adjust what content etc you want available to the DLNA account.  However DLNA only works over a local network so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea you can use DLNA over the internet it doesn't and will never work that way.  Emby is also smart enough (even with DLNA) to transcode when needed to lower bitrate etc as needed.

The point is I don't want the transcoder at all I want disabled across the board as I will NEVER use it for anything. On the fly transcoding is always a horrible idea and should never be used. I n fact that's one feature I wouldn't mind seeing removed but since people aren't good at or have a low understanding of transcoding that will never happen, unfortunately.

Edited by jayw654

I dont get the argument about roku not storing passwords. If you choose "remember user" the last logged in user is remembered. If you mean for multiple users, yeah, if passwords were remembered what would be the point of using passwords.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bfir3

The point is I don't want the transcoder at all I want disabled across the board as I will NEVER use it for anything. On the fly transcoding is always a horrible idea and should never be used. I n fact that's one feature I wouldn't mind seeing removed but since people aren't good at or have a low understanding of transcoding that will never happen, unfortunately.

Although it is usually preferable to direct stream/play, there are many situations where it just isn't possible due to bandwidth restrictions. In these situations transcoding is the only possible option as it can reduce the bandwidth needed to whatever your device is capable of. I can play a 1080p episode of my favorite TV show that has a bitrate >8,000kbps on my phone with free McDonald's wifi by transcoding to 360p no problem.

JeremyFr79

Although it is usually preferable to direct stream/play, there are many situations where it just isn't possible due to bandwidth restrictions. In these situations transcoding is the only possible option as it can reduce the bandwidth needed to whatever your device is capable of. I can play a 1080p episode of my favorite TV show that has a bitrate >8,000kbps on my phone with free McDonald's wifi by transcoding to 360p no problem.

Seems to me he thinks it's a better idea to waste valuable storage space on multiple copies of a file in different resolutions etc so he can pixel count it all day or something..........

jayw654

I dont get the argument about roku not storing passwords. If you choose "remember user" the last logged in user is remembered. If you mean for multiple users, yeah, if passwords were remembered what would be the point of using passwords.

yes, this would be for multiple users and I have "Remember User" turned on but it still will not remember. I will not be the only person connecting to this server. Friends and family will be connecting as well so using usernames/passwords are EXTREMELY important.

jayw654

Seems to me he thinks it's a better idea to waste valuable storage space on multiple copies of a file in different resolutions etc so he can pixel count it all day or something..........

hard drive space is dirt cheap its only 200 bucks for a 4TB high reliable western Digital RE drive. I don't mind burning up data storage for my movies to be 25mbps+ for local playback and 15mbps h.265 for streaming playback. 4TB is a ton of movies even if I have 2 different folders for movies, one for DLNA and another for internet streaming.

Edited by jayw654

jayw654

the albums are sorted by name of the album, not artist.

Okay fair enough but using the website it shows the album covers and sorts by the artist name then album name, which I like far better. Meaning albums are sorted i alphabetical order just like Windows would in a directory. I like it that way the best. How do I get Emby Theater to show music in that fashion? BTW when connecting via web browser it DOES show in the way I prefer.

Edited by jayw654

yes, this would be for multiple users and I have "Remember User" turned on but it still will not remember. I will not be the only person connecting to this server. Friends and family will be connecting as well so using usernames/passwords are EXTREMELY important.

The "remember user" does work. It isnt wise, or advised, to leave this enabled with multiple users. When a user is remembered their auth result is stored. This means you wont have to enter a password the next time you log in. You are automatically logged in. When changing users, you need to use your password for auth otherwise what is the point of using passwords.

If you use the blueneon app, then what you should do is make a generic user. One anyone, even guests can use on the roku. Call it.. roku. Make this account have no password.

Now when you are watching with the user, roku, you can use the "also watching" and add your user to the session. This will be remembered too. Now exit the app. When the app starts again, it will automatically log in as the user, roku. It will also ask if your user is still watching. This should accomplish what you want.

Edited by speechles

jayw654

The "remember user" does work. It isnt wise, or advised, to leave this enabled with multiple users. When a user is remembered their auth result is stored. This means you wont have to enter a password the next time you log in. You are auto atically logged in. When changing users, you need to use your password for auth otherwise what is the point of using passwords.

If you use the blueneon app, then what you should do is make a generic user. One anyone, even guests can use on the roku. Call it.. roku. Make this account have no password.

Now when you are watching with the user, roku, you can use the "also watching" and add your user to the session. This will be remembered too. Now log out. When the app logs back in, it will log in as the user, roku. It will also ask if your user is still watching. This should accomplish what you want.

well its not working for me and of course I would want it to remember the password on a roku as the roku is in my house. Who's going to run off with it and if its stolen I can just disable the account. Also I tried doing the Emby Roku account thing and only making where the rokus could access it and of course I ALWAYS hide all the accounts as I don't want outsiders seeing account names. Anyway everything seemed like a good idea until both the Roku 3 and Roku 4 refused to play the files. BTW this is the same computer that a DLNA program called Mezzmo is on and plays the sames movies perfectly.

jayw654

I don't want to have myself or other people to have to create accounts with the Emby server just to connect to mine so that is NOT an option. All I want to do is hand people the URL, Username and Password and maybe Emby Theater but anything pass that is asking waaay too much. I think I'll just use Mezzmo until the the DLNA becomes more robust in Emby

Edited by jayw654

The only time "remember user" doesnt work is when the app has stored things incorrectly. You can force the app to get smarter. You must change the "remember user" to no. Immediately sign out after. If using the blueneon app it will forcibly sign you out when you change "remember user" to no. After this, choose a user, then change "remember user" back to yes. Now at this point, choose "change server" and it will fall back to the server screen. Choose your server and it should automatically sign-in as you. Once this happens you've fixed it. Exit the app and restart it and it should always log you right in.

Do not use emby connect on the roku. Emby connect is not made for multiple users and will cause problems if you try to make it work with multiple users.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

jayw654

The only time "remember user" doesnt work is when the app had stored things incorrecrly. You can force the app to get smarter. You must change the "remember user" to no. Immediately sign out after. If using the blueneon app it will forcibly sign you out when you change "remember user" to no. After this, choose a user, then change "remember user" back to yes. Now at this point, choose "change server" and it will fall back to thr server screen. Choose your server and it should automatically sign-in as you. Once this happens you've fixed it. Exit the app and restart it and it should always log you right in.

Do not use emby connect on the roku. Emby connect is not made for multiple users and will cause problems if you try to make it work with multiple users.

Thanks for the heads up on that I'll try that but that still means a bug exists in the program that needs to be addressed as I shouldn't have to change it like that for it to work. However, I'm also having issues with it handling large files as it will act like its going to play and kick out but smaller files seem to play okay. I'll wait for improvements.

Improvements have been made already. It isnt a bug in the app. It is a misunderstanding that using emby connect is ok. When it is, but not for multiple users. When you sign out, and attempt to choose a new user, youve now broken "remember user". This is because an emby connect user should never be offered a way to sign out. The only option should be change server.

Maybe the fix should be having the app know if the user is using emby connect and if so, do not have the "sign out" button appear. There is then no way users can break the "remember user" function this way. People would start to ask, "why cant I sign out and change users?". This might be what we have to do. Stay tuned..

Edited by speechles

JeremyFr79

I don't want to have myself or other people to have to create accounts with the Emby server just to connect to mine so that is NOT an option. All I want to do is hand people the URL, Username and Password and maybe Emby Theater but anything pass that is asking waaay too much. I think I'll just use Mezzmo until the the DLNA becomes more robust in Emby

Again you misunderstand DLNA if you think it will ever work outside of your own network.  That is not and was not ever the intention of DLNA.

MSattler

Improvements have been made already. It isnt a bug in the app. It is a misunderstanding that using emby connect is ok. When it is, but not for multiple users. When you sign out, and attempt to choose a new user, youve now broken "remember user". This is because an emby connect user should never be offered a way to sign out. The only option should be change server.

Maybe the fix should be having the app know if the user is using emby connect and if so, do not have the "sign out" button appear. There is then no way users can break the "remember user" function this way. People would start to ask, "why cant I sign out and change users?". This might be what we have to do. Stay tuned..

I guess I am surprised that people actually use emby connect.  For me.... it was crazy to create a forum user for every member of my family, to use Connect.

It would be much cooler had I been able to use like Google's auth.

JeremyFr79

hard drive space is dirt cheap its only 200 bucks for a 4TB high reliable western Digital RE drive. I don't mind burning up data storage for my movies to be 25mbps+ for local playback and 15mbps h.265 for streaming playback. 4TB is a ton of movies even if I have 2 different folders for movies, one for DLNA and another for internet streaming.

I can assure you as someone who at present runs a 24x3TB array in my main file server I have an intricate understanding of the cost of storage.  Not only in the one time cost of the drives themselves but also the long term cost of keeping said drives spinning etc.  Again for most of the us the "waste" of storage is not out weighed by the negligible quality difference an end user will get with content from transcoding material.  Not to mention considering they are getting access to said content for free they don't have any right to complain about what quality they end up with anyways as far as I'm concerned.  My personal Emby server runs on a machine with 32 cores/64 threads so compute overhead for transcoding even to multiple people doesn't much matter to me.  And I can guarantee you unless your pixel counting or something you are not going to have much noticeable difference in quality unless you're talking transcoding a 1080p source down to 360p.

jayw654

This is exactly why I have a separate folder for streaming. I can't having the server eating precious CPU cycles just to do on the fly converting so it easy and better just to create a folder with lower quality files to be streamed. Mobile phones are getting far more powerful so a 15mbps h.265 files will play fine under Wi-Fi and most areas with a strong Mobile phone data signal. Sprint (a mobile carrier) provides unlimited data and they and others are coming out with the next generation of mobile data technology for even faster wireless speeds so 15mbps h.265 won't be an issue in the next 2-3 years. Plus H.265 uses less data than H.264 anywhere from 25-50 percent less making H.265 very ideal.

Edited by jayw654