Naming and organization of home videos and photos

brymerr921

brymerr921

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready to set up my first media server. I've been doing a lot of reading and appreciate all the info available on these forums. I have a massive collection of home videos and photos which I'd like to organize and make it easy to go back and watch them with my family, and this seems like a great option. I have a vision of what I'd like this to be and I'd be grateful for some feedback about the best way to implement this. I've played around with Emby a bit but I definitely don't feel like I have a good grasp on it just yet.

Ideally, I'd love to be able to search for photos and videos based on

- Who is in it

- Where it was taken

- Any special event surrounding the photo or video (vacation, birthday, holiday, etc.)

As of now, my files are organized as follows but have not been renamed at all:

\Year

\Month

\Photos

\Videos

I am wondering what the best way is to rename and edit the metadata of all of these files in a way that embeds this info into the original files themselves and makes it accessible to Emby.

- Can this be easily done in Emby? (For example, selecting 400 photos in April 2005 and tagging them with "Disneyland" and then saving that as a tag onto the original file as well as in Emby?)

- Can this be done using some kind of metadata editor to edit the titles, tags, and metadata of the files themselves which can then be imported and read by Emby? (In other words, can Emby read and process tags that are part of files themselves and use them to search and filter?)

Again, I have a pretty limited understanding of what's possible and how to do it, so I appreciate your experienced insights. I also realize I'm going against the norm with a home videos approach rather than a movies/TV shows approach which seems really easy to organize.

I look forward to learning. Thanks!