Linux Setup

Luke

abeloin

New build:

MediaBrowser.Mono.3.0.5145.38401.tar.gz (Without Mono for Linux and Mac)

For Linux, mediabrowser can open ISO(Stream detail and web client streaming) via sudo, mount and umount.

In order to activate this feature, you need to add these lines via visudo(don't forget to change the username to the one running mediabrowser):

Defaults:jsmith !requiretty
jsmith ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/mount
jsmith ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /bin/umount

abeloin

Hello, I am running the latest server on OSX 10.9. I installed the CoverArt plugin but it fails with some null pointer exception. I pasted the log here: http://pastebin.com/yhTRdZQV

Hopefully it is something simple.

Can you try with the new build 3.0.5145.38401?

im85288

Can you try with the new build 3.0.5145.38401?

Thanks just tried it and CoverArt is working fine...thanks again :)

im85288

Hello, I originally noticed after installing the CoverArt plugin that for some reason all the Primary images for TV shows had changed to a banner format...resulting in strange looking posters. Movies were fine. So I changed all of the TV shows to the correct Primary image and all was ok...but now I noticed again all the Primary images have been converted back to a banner format. 

I have never used the Windows version of the server so I cannot say if it is a issue with the OSX version of the server but nevertheless it is occurring regularly. Would you need a log for this?

im85288

I looked through the logs I do have and they are not showing anything of note.

What I have seen now is that when I set the primary image from MB3 for a TV Show it is saved as poster.jpg in the relevant folder. Now for some reason, a task is going on through the night (about 4am) that goes through all my TV shows and downloads folder.jpgs for them all in the wrong ratio (i.e. the banner).

It may well be something else doing this downloading of the folder.jpg as I have Plex and XBMC machines on the network..but having checked the Plex and XBMC logs I do not at this minute think it is them.

Tonight I will do a test where I rename manually the poster.jpg generated by MB3 to folder.jpg to see if that stops the auto creation of a folder.jpg

One obvious question here is why does the MB3 server create poster.jpg as the Primary image for TV shows...yet will use folder.jpg in preference of the poster.jpg it created itself?

ps. I noticed path substitution is there in the server now, I tried it out and it did not appear to work for me. Is it supported yet or is the gui part just preparation for the final functionality arriving? EDIT - I looked further into the xml and found something called mapped paths, I will post a question on this in the XBMB3C thread as we may need to make an adaption on that side

Cheers :)

Edited by im85288

New build:

MediaBrowser.Mono.3.0.5145.38401.tar.gz (Without Mono for Linux and Mac)

Server won't launch, but I'm not sure it's not something in my machine.

Correction:  It won't launch if using an absolute path (e.g. "mono ~/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe") - it gives an error that it can't find the sqlite libraries.

It DOES launch if I manually enter the MediaBrowser directory and use "mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe" from there.

Any idea how to run it with "~/MediaBrowser/" as its base-directory so it doesn't break?

Edited by Ambious

smitopher

ok, I'll be getting my (really it is for a buddy, I owe him) shiny new mini bare-bone server tomorrow.

Plans are to run

• Ubuntu Server (or some other distro) as the OS
  • MB3
  • SABnzbd
  • SickBeard

I have successfully built mono on an Ubuntu VM and have run MB3 from a terminal command line.  MB3 Browser Page loads up all normal.

I'm hoping to create a MB3/Sickbeard "appliance" PVR.

The only part I'm not clear about is running MB3 as a daemon.  I've googled a bit to see if there was a handy dandy guide to running a headless Mono application as a daemon and all I found was some stuff the looked like it was for Mono 2.x and the instructions here had me building Mono 3.something

http://linux.die.net/man/1/mono-service

Any Linux/Mono/MB3 as a deamon guidance?

Beardyname

Install screen and run it in that :) otherwise (If you are afraid of crasing) there is a program called something like Always up or similair, Will update this post when my memory kicks in.

Also i Think when Linux gets officielly released there will be startup scripts included, but that is just a guess of mine :)

smitopher

Well... Who would of guessed my biggest challenge was installing Ubuntu on my New Foxconn AT-2550.

It is has an Intel Atom D2550 cpu and it's integrated graphics renders it as officially NOT SUPPORTED by anything but 32 bit Windoze 7.  

It took me a while to find a way to install Ubuntu in a way that does not try to load up any advanced graphics drivers.  Since this machine is headless, advanced graphics are irrelevant.

Max CPU ram is 4 gig (for a 64 bit processor introduced 18 month ago????)

Built Mono from source, untarred the latest MB3 Mono build and fired up MB3 from a putty console.

It took awhile for the first launch.  Subsequent launches were faster.  The browser UI seems perfectly normal.

Before I go pointing it at my existing MB3 library (Windows Server 2012 Essentials), What should I do to make sure the Mono MB3 instance does not muck up my existing library?

I eagerly await the Linux daemon packaging and a ppa so I can use apt-get to install.

Is Mono 3.x required?  The official Ubuntu repositories are still 2.somethin

Edited by smitopher
  • Like 1

Well... Who would of guessed my biggest challenge was installing Ubuntu on my New Foxconn AT-2550.

It is has an Intel Atom D2550 cpu and it's integrated graphics renders it as officially NOT SUPPORTED by anything but 32 bit Windoze 7.  

It took me a while to find a way to install Ubuntu in a way that does not try to load up any advanced graphics drivers.  Since this machine is headless, advanced graphics are irrelevant.

Max CPU ram is 4 gig (for a 64 bit processor introduced 18 month ago????)

Built Mono from source, untarred the latest MB3 Mono build and fired up MB3 from a putty console.

It took awhile for the first launch.  Subsequent launches were faster.  The browser UI seems perfectly normal.

Before I go pointing it at my existing MB3 library (Windows Server 2012 Essentials), What should I do to make sure the Mono MB3 instance does not muck up my existing library?

I eagerly await the Linux daemon packaging and a ppa so I can use apt-get to install.

Is Mono 3.x required?  The official Ubuntu repositories are still 2.somethin

Yea, you need to have the latest mono - and not just the downloaded version but built from source, because it has important bug fixes that haven't been released yet. Eventually mono will be embedded into our server download and you won't even know that it's there.

There's nothing you need to know. A good test might be installing the trailer plugin because creates a virtual library of sorts, and you can click around and make sure the web interface works and such.

deaerator

I have a question regarding your development on your mb server for linux.

What distro of linux will this work on the best. 

Will this work on unraid or does it have a specific flavor. 

still deciding on what to do for a nas OS

If you follow the UnRaid forums a beta of UnRaid 6.0 (XEN) has been released that should allow Virtual Sessions or vt-d and that maybe a way around the whole Linux version of MB3. Running in a virtual machine a normal MB3 installation of the server. But I have no idea if that will work, my knowledge is too limited. I also am running 2 UnRaid servers and since they are VERY stable and reliable I am hesitant to fix what is not broken.

smitopher

Yea, you need to have the latest mono - and not just the downloaded version but built from source, because it has important bug fixes that haven't been released yet. Eventually mono will be embedded into our server download and you won't even know that it's there.

There's nothing you need to know. A good test might be installing the trailer plugin because creates a virtual library of sorts, and you can click around and make sure the web interface works and such.

So I switched over to Fedora 19(I'm trying out Amhai Home Server) and I can't complete a Mono build?  I tried a Build from Pakkora but mb3 would not start.  I loaded the latest Fedora updates and cloned from Git mono and libgdiplus, and applied the latest updates with yum so I assume that I must not have all of the build dependencies?  I've tried googleing but nothing telling me what the Fedora 19 dependencies are.  I found someone who had Fedora 18 dependencies http://forums.osgrid.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4625 but when I tried his, 

yum install libtool autoconf automake cloog-ppl cpp gcc glibc-devel glibc-headers kernel-headers mpfr ppl libatk libatk-devel gtk3 gtk3-devel libpng12 libpng12-devel libjpeg libjpeg-devel libtiff libtiff-devel libexif libexif-devel giflib giflib-devel bison gcc-c++ libX11-devel freetype fontconfig fontconfig-devel gettext  glib2-devel git mono-core mono-addins mono-addins-devel mono-tools mono-basic xsp gtk-sharp2 gtk-sharp2-devel

It complains about some.

I want to contribute by testing so any pointers about building mono?

Edited by smitopher

TheKamakaZi

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd share my set up and experience with you guys, and maybe help out where I can.

I deployed Fedora 20 Minimal on a 32GB Pinstripe USB Stick that's plugged into an HP N54L Microserver.

Using this as my base, I installed Mono from the packages listed in http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3634-linux-os-x-server/&do=findComment&comment=57059.

I daemonized MediaBrowser using a simple systemd script:

/etc/systemd/system/mediabrowser.service

[Unit]
Description=MediaBrowser Server Mono
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/opt/MediaBrowser/start.sh
User=mediabrowser
TimeoutSec=300

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

/opt/MediaBrowser/start.sh

#!/bin/sh
export PATH=/opt/mono/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/mono/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/mono/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

cd /opt/MediaBrowser
mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

Because I'm running off a USB stick, I needed to make some minor adjustments and sacrifice some things to keep the stick in one piece:

/etc/fstab

none    /tmp                                                            tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,mode=1777    0 0
none    /var/log                                                        tmpfs   size=10%                  0 0
none    /var/tmp                                                        tmpfs   size=10%,noatime          0 0
none    /opt/MediaBrowser/ProgramData-Server/cache/encoded-media        tmpfs   size=10%                  0 0

The last entry is so that when the server's transcoding, it doesn't write to the stick, but to memory. I more than likely need to move a lot more stuff in here.

I am blown away at how much has been integrated into the base server and how stable the Mono Build is running. I tip my hate to the MediaBrowser devs :)

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd share my set up and experience with you guys, and maybe help out where I can.

I deployed Fedora 20 Minimal on a 32GB Pinstripe USB Stick that's plugged into an HP N54L Microserver.

Using this as my base, I installed Mono from the packages listed in http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/3634-linux-os-x-server/&do=findComment&comment=57059.

I daemonized MediaBrowser using a simple systemd script:

/etc/systemd/system/mediabrowser.service

[Unit]
Description=MediaBrowser Server Mono
After=network.target

[Service]
ExecStart=/opt/MediaBrowser/start.sh
User=mediabrowser
TimeoutSec=300

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

/opt/MediaBrowser/start.sh

#!/bin/sh
export PATH=/opt/mono/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/mono/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/mono/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

cd /opt/MediaBrowser
mono MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe

Because I'm running off a USB stick, I needed to make some minor adjustments and sacrifice some things to keep the stick in one piece:

/etc/fstab

none    /tmp                                                            tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,mode=1777    0 0
none    /var/log                                                        tmpfs   size=10%                  0 0
none    /var/tmp                                                        tmpfs   size=10%,noatime          0 0
none    /opt/MediaBrowser/ProgramData-Server/cache/encoded-media        tmpfs   size=10%                  0 0

The last entry is so that when the server's transcoding, it doesn't write to the stick, but to memory. I more than likely need to move a lot more stuff in here.

I am blown away at how much has been integrated into the base server and how stable the Mono Build is running. I tip my hate to the MediaBrowser devs :)

That's some great news. Really glad to hear that!

smitopher

The TheKamakaZi post above inspired me to muddle through installing mono using rpm and the packages in the post he referenced.

I just now got MB3 running now on Fedora 19.  Tomorrow I'll try and get MB3 running as a daemon as TheKamakaZi has.

• Like 1

TheKamakaZi

The TheKamakaZi post above inspired me to muddle through installing mono using rpm and the packages in the post he referenced.

I just now got MB3 running now on Fedora 19.  Tomorrow I'll try and get MB3 running as a daemon as TheKamakaZi has.

Glad I could help :) Give me a shout if you need help with anything. I would really like to expand this into a fully-fledged HOWTO for the community. Maybe even put together a repo to automate everything...

cfineman

Can't tell you how excited I am to see this (having invested in a vortexbox server a year or so ago) and looking forward to trying this over the next couple of weeks!!

Been playing around with MBS/MBT on my desktop in preparation for putting it onto my HTPC.... is there a way (assuming it's worthwhile) to migrate the server's data from my window's desktop over to the linux box or should the rescan be reasonable quick (note all my media is already on the linux box but, of course, referable by the local pathnames rather than UNC)

EDIT: Hmmm.... just saw the note about UNC support. I suppose I'll find out when I really tuck into this but... does this mean I will be limited to streaming rather than MBT being able to directly mount the media files?

Edited by cfineman

im85288

EDIT: Hmmm.... just saw the note about UNC support. I suppose I'll find out when I really tuck into this but... does this mean I will be limited to streaming rather than MBT being able to directly mount the media files?

You can solve this using the new path substitution feature of the server, I have the server installed on a Mac pointing at local directories and then use path substitution so that other clients can play the files directly.  

Edited by im85288

smitopher

Can I use UNC path names even though even though my server is Linux?  I'm going to try using Greyhole for "storage pooling and redundancy", (in quotes cuz Greyhole is ersatz pooling and redundancy but likely all that a home media server needs and easier to understand for the guy I'm doing this) and GreyHole uses Samba shares to implement storage pooling.

I AM currently using the path substitution feature and it works fine but "Greyhole Best Practice" is "Always use the Samba Share".

I would just do a re-install. Until we have a built-in backup and restore process we just don't have the bandwidth to help people do it individually.

smitopher
** (process:13548): WARNING **: PNG images with 64bpp aren't supported by libgdiplus.

saw this 5 times in my console

And what up here?  Why is it asking for root privileges?

Success
Info, App, Download local trailers Completed after 0 minute(s) and 0 seconds
Info, App, HttpClientManager GET: http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/home/xml/current_720p.xml
[sudo] password for smitopher: 

the server doesn't explicitly request it. perhaps an operation was rejected without root access. That's about all i can think of there. you could try removing the plugin just to help narrow it down.