New User - help with managing views

Koleckai Silvestri

What about having user defined categories? Or a mixed media collection? That would solve the Star Trek problem, wouldn't it? Though, with respect, I do think that it's a limited issue, as I can't think of many other TV to film crossovers that have the same integration as Star Trek. (Twin Peaks and The X-Files?)

(Though having typed all of that, I've just thought that there's also audio dramas, for Doctor Who and Torchwood, which would complicate the collections thing even more... Would a Mixed Media Collection be an option at some point in the future? This would allow for the simple movie / TV split for collections, and allow the geeks, such as me, to have a further set of collections containing all sorts of spin offs...) :unsure:

Mixed Media isn't a good option if you really want decent metadata. Ideally, you don't need anything else. If you have a collection with movies, it shows under the Collections tab in Movies. If you have a collection with Television series, it shows under the Collections tab in Television (yes, I know it doesn't exist yet). Same for music. If the collection has multiple content types, then it shows in each appropriate tab. 

There isn't really a need to complicate creating collections with different types or changing media. Just how they are displayed with the XML file already created. Right now, it just contains and item id for each item. This could be expanded to contain an item id and a content type. That new tag can be used to help determine where a collection shows without heavy database usage.

Deedeetee

Mixed Media isn't a good option if you really want decent metadata. Ideally, you don't need anything else. If you have a collection with movies, it shows under the Collections tab in Movies. If you have a collection with Television series, it shows under the Collections tab in Television (yes, I know it doesn't exist yet). Same for music. If the collection has multiple content types, then it shows in each appropriate tab. 

There isn't really a need to complicate creating collections with different types or changing media. Just how they are displayed with the XML file already created. Right now, it just contains and item id for each item. This could be expanded to contain an item id and a content type. That new tag can be used to help determine where a collection shows without heavy database usage.

That makes sense! I think, initially, I was frustrated because collections only appeared in the movies tab, but having the relevant collections in the relevant tabs would work! (It didn't help that the version of emby I was initially using didn't allow the collections folder to be displayed.)

Having said that, been doing much thinking and we may be going down the route of having the collections folder as a home screen, giving us easy access to the files we use often...

Happy2Play

(It didn't help that the version of emby I was initially using didn't allow the collections folder to be displayed.)

This is not true.  As stated in post 14 and 16 the options are there just in a different place.

You need to login locally to make this available not via app.emby.media.  Sorry I mentioned display settings in post 16 but it is actually Home Screen Settings.  Since these settings are transitioning from a user setting to a Global setting.

Deedeetee

This is not true.  As stated in post 14 and 16 the options are there just in a different place.

You need to login locally to make this available not via app.emby.media.  Sorry I mentioned display settings in post 16 but it is actually Home Screen Settings.  Since these settings are transitioning from a user setting to a Global setting.

But I only found out about the different versions when Luke mentioned it on Sunday, I'm a new user and still getting to grips with the system. Initially, I believed that the differences in the displays and the options was due to my error, not a difference in versions.

You say I have to log in locally, which I am doing now, not via the app.emby.media link, which I was doing then, to get the option have Collections folder showing. Therefore, what I said, was true, the app.emby link hasn't currently got the collections folder separate, and this wasn't mentioned in the Wiki. You've only just altered your original post, I notice, to help prevent other new users facing this, which is good.

However, as this Forum is very helpful, I'm getting on a lot better now!