New User - help with managing views

Hello,

I have been using HTPC software for 10+ years (MCE2005, WMC, MediaPortal, Argus TV, NextPVR), but I'm looking to change to something that is more multi platform and easier to maintain.

I'm trialling Emby Server + Emby Theatre + Next PVR.

But.. I am falling at the first hurdle.

I would like my media displayed in categories, such as TV Shows in different categories, for different people (but all logged in under the same user)

And films in categories such as film queue, watched films, Dardenne films etc..

Plus a category 'Cinema History' with other categories embedded within, eg BAFTA Winners, Oscar Winners etc.

I am trying to use 'collections' but I can't get it to look 'clean'.

So when I open Emby Theatre, I just want my various categories of media displayed for me, and not the folder structure that they are organised in on the server.

How would I best go about this, or is it not possible?

Thanks

lisa

Deathsquirrel

Not possible.  You cant get anything like this with everyone under one user if you don't organize these things this way on disk.  Emby could show your folder structure if you want or you could set up different libraries for different users.  You're going to have to give on one of your requirements.

Thanks for the reply, good to know.

It is confusing though.

I imagine a lot of people have hundreds or thousands of media files stored on a server (spread across several hard drives due to space limitations), so once all of that metadata has been scraped, I thought the point would be to be able to organise it in a manner that made it easier to use - different categories, and categories within categories?

Am I misunderstanding something?

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the reply, good to know.

It is confusing though.

I imagine a lot of people have hundreds or thousands of media files stored on a server (spread across several hard drives due to space limitations), so once all of that metadata has been scraped, I thought the point would be to be able to organise it in a manner that made it easier to use - different categories, and categories within categories?

Am I misunderstanding something?

It is possible, to an extent. Many of the apps display categories such as latest, unwatched, genres, etc.

To create custom categories, you could do something like collections like you're doing. what's not so clean about it?

Thanks for the reply, maybe I need to try some apps (is that the same as plug-ins?) which would you recommend?

I guess there are three issues..

1. To add a film to a collection I seem to have to individually click on each film and add it to a collection, then go back a screen or two and do the same to the next film, I have a very large media library this will take an enormous amount of time to assign each film or tv series to a custom collection. Is there not a way of bulk adding them?

2. Once I have a collection, I can't then have sub categories within a collection, so in Emby Theatre, all of the collections are shown on one screen, regardless of whether they are tv series or films, and then going into a collection, I am still left with too many films / shows to scroll through, I would like to sub-organise them further by my own custom categories.

3. In Emby Theatre, I can't see a way of changing the views, everything seems to be displayed as a 'poster' and I just see a thumbnail with no banner saying what the collection is called, until I click on it / or select it.

You can add in bulk by using the multi-select tool, which hopefully you read the instructional help on before dismissing it :) But in case you didn't, just left click and hold or tap and hold on a poster and you can select multiple and add them to a collection.

View styles are coming for Emby Theater, that is, changing the the image type, filtering, etc.

Deedeetee

Hello, is there any way of having collections displayed by media type? If I select group media together, so that on the top menu I have only Movies and TV, all the collections are shown in the Movies display, regardless of whether they are Movies or TV. It would be very helpful to have the TV Collections showing under the TV menu tab, if that's possible. Is there a setting for this, to select a collection type?

Happy2Play

Hello, is there any way of having collections displayed by media type? If I select group media together, so that on the top menu I have only Movies and TV, all the collections are shown in the Movies display, regardless of whether they are Movies or TV. It would be very helpful to have the TV Collections showing under the TV menu tab, if that's possible. Is there a setting for this, to select a collection type?

Go to Dashboard-Library-Display.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

I ended up putting a lot of things into custom libraries... Disney Animation, Dreamworks Animation, Classic Movies (pre-1970), Anime Movies, Anime Series, etc... All in all, I have about 15 different libraries just for movies. It was the only way it looked good to me. I use collections within these but they cross over libraries in the clients so it gets messy. I'd prefer that when I was in the Disney Animation Library and clicked on Collections, it only showed me collections from within that library. I am not interested in Aliens, Back to the Future or Ghostbusters at that time.

Collections should also show under Television. Stargate, Star Trek, Marvel Universe, Star Wars and others all have multiple television series that can be gathered into Collections. Collections need to move beyond the limited concept of Movie Box Sets.

Deedeetee

Go to Dashboard-Library-Display.

Thank you! However I've just tried that, and although I click save after ticking all the boxes, it says settings saved, but clicking away from the page and returning, they're all unticked again! How annoying! Is this because I haven't registered for the premium subscription, as I'm just trying to figure out if this will work?

Happy2Play

Thank you! However I've just tried that, and although I click save after ticking all the boxes, it says settings saved, but clicking away from the page and returning, they're all unticked again! How annoying! Is this because I haven't registered for the premium subscription, as I'm just trying to figure out if this will work?

What server version? What Browser?  Just tested selecting all 4 and hitting save in v3.1.28.0 in Chrome and all 4 where checked after navigating to a different page and back.

• Like 1

Deedeetee

What server version? What Browser?  Just tested selecting all 4 and hitting save in v3.1.28.0 in Chrome and all 4 where checked after navigating to a different page and back.

It's version 3.0.5972.0 and I'm currently using Firefox Version 46. (Though the Emby version in my device on dashboard is showing 3.1.6013.6867, though I wonder if this is because it's client on a MacBook...) If I could get Safari to log in, I'd try on that...

I've also just tried it on the iPhone app, and the boxes were unticked again...

Edited by Deedeetee

OK so you're using the online web client at http://app.emby.media, it's currently a little ahead of the stable server release, meaning it has a few features that your server doesn't support yet.

You may want to just use your local web client at http://localhost:8096 (substitute localhost if needed).

This situation is not normal so you don't need to be concerned about using the online web client, this one time is just an exception.

• Like 1

Or you can stay with the online web client but just ignore that display tab for now until the next stable server release.

Happy2Play

Or those options are located on Localhost at user icon top right-display settings Home Screen Settings

Edited by Happy2Play

Deedeetee

OK so you're using the online web client at http://app.emby.media, it's currently a little ahead of the stable server release, meaning it has a few features that your server doesn't support yet.

You may want to just use your local web client at http://localhost:8096 (substitute localhost if needed).

This situation is not normal so you don't need to be concerned about using the online web client, this one time is just an exception.

Thank you, going through the web client gave me a similar view as the other laptop and it displayed the collections... So once the next update is released it should all catch up, that makes sense.

So, is there any chance of having TV Series specific collections too? :)

Happy2Play

Unfortunately all collections are located in one location.

Emby-Server\data\collections

Deedeetee

Unfortunately all collections are located in one location.

Emby-Server\data\collections

Would it be possible, in the future, to split that into Emby-Server\data\movie_collections and Emby-Server\data\TV_collections? :D

Would it be possible, in the future, to split that into Emby-Server\data\movie_collections and Emby-Server\data\TV_collections? :D

No because we don't currently have any such distinction.  Collections can contain any (and multiple) type of items.

Happy2Play

One way this wouldn't work is lets say a Star Trek Collection (Movies and TV Series), What collection would it fall in?

Thanks for all the discussion on this, I do appreciate the responses.

With movies, I see that there are pre-determined categories such as Genres and Studios, then they are further sub divided. Is it not possible to have a custom option for these that the user can configure for their own needs?

Well for me, I would like to have categories such as BAFTA, Oscar Pictures, Oscar Documentaries, Dardenne, James Bond (and many more..), so when I go into Movies, instead of seeing the Genres and Studios categories at the top, I see the custom ones that I have created. I could select which films go into which category by editing the metadata maybe (although a group add option would be nicer!).

Deedeetee

One way this wouldn't work is lets say a Star Trek Collection (Movies and TV Series), What collection would it fall in?

What about having user defined categories? Or a mixed media collection? That would solve the Star Trek problem, wouldn't it? Though, with respect, I do think that it's a limited issue, as I can't think of many other TV to film crossovers that have the same integration as Star Trek. (Twin Peaks and The X-Files?)

(Though having typed all of that, I've just thought that there's also audio dramas, for Doctor Who and Torchwood, which would complicate the collections thing even more... Would a Mixed Media Collection be an option at some point in the future? This would allow for the simple movie / TV split for collections, and allow the geeks, such as me, to have a further set of collections containing all sorts of spin offs...) :unsure: