Best Live TV Playback??

squirrellydw

littlerm

I just recently installed Emby and am using a HDHomerun Prime tuner for LiveTV with the beta Emby client on a Shield TV.  I have direct and VLC options enabled.  1080i interlaced video is not using Bob deinterlacing (60 fps), it is running at 30 fps, which creates the not-smooth effect on tickers and sports.  720p looks fine (of course).  When viewed through the HDHomerun native app or the HDHomerun app on Kodi I get smooth 60 fps video for 1080i content on the same channels.  I really like what I am seeing so far out of Emby.  I love the integrated LiveTV (and future DVR) feature.

squirrellydw

I just recently installed Emby and am using a HDHomerun Prime tuner for LiveTV with the beta Emby client on a Shield TV.  I have direct and VLC options enabled.  1080i interlaced video is not using Bob deinterlacing (60 fps), it is running at 30 fps, which creates the not-smooth effect on tickers and sports.  720p looks fine (of course).  When viewed through the HDHomerun native app or the HDHomerun app on Kodi I get smooth 60 fps video for 1080i content on the same channels.  I really like what I am seeing so far out of Emby.  I love the integrated LiveTV (and future DVR) feature.

OK, how do you know 1080i isn't using Bob at 60fps?   Does it show you this some place or you just guessing?  I have the same issue and would like to know how you determined this.

Also DVR is already enabled.

CBers

I love the integrated LiveTV (and future DVR) feature.

Future DVR?

Recording has been available for a while.

squirrellydw

What is the new version number for the FireTV app that is being pushed? You mentioned the me for the Google store but not Amazon

squirrellydw

OK, going to test it again when I get home but I think the 1.2.11a just got pushed on the FireTV and when I was watching TV today everything was transcoding again and not direct/V.  However my server was doing a lot stuff during that time but I don't think that should make a difference.  Hopefully it was just a glitch.

squirrellydw

Yup I have 1.2.11a and it now seems to play ok but I have no guide data.  I have rebooted the server and FireTV and still nothing.  If I start playing a channel I can than pull up the guide data but I no longer have GUIDE as an option to select in the menu.

Ignore that, fixed it by deleting it and reinstalling it

Edited by squirrellydw

littlerm

OK, how do you know 1080i isn't using Bob at 60fps?   Does it show you this some place or you just guessing?  I have the same issue and would like to know how you determined this.

Also DVR is already enabled.

I have gone through the same issue when using MythTV.  Once hardware-accelerated 60 fps Bob deinterlace was enabled everything was fine.  The framerate in Emby for 1080i content is consistent but not smooth, like the difference between 30fps and 60 fps gaming.  I don't know if Emby is using Bob deinterlacing, but it is most definitely not 60fps.

squirrellydw

OK, ever since the update and with the latest beta everything is transcoding Trans/I.  

Log sent around 926 Eastern Time, User Dave.

OK, ever since the update and with the latest beta everything is transcoding Trans/I.  

Log sent around 926 Eastern Time, User Dave.

That log did not contain the start of the playback session for some reason.  Can you try again?

Same thing.  Don't know why I'm not getting your whole log.

In any case, is there actually a problem?

squirrellydw

I will try again, not sure whats going on with the log.   But yes it is Transcoding and looks like crap.  Very blurry and pixilated.  I will send another log and record a video and upload it to dropbox.  Give me a few minutes

squirrellydw

@@ebr File is uploaded here   https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6280054/CNN%20Newsroom%20With%20Carol%20Costello%20S00E00.ts

When I play it and go back to try and send the log it is disappearing.  

OK very weird, the recorded video looks fine but looks like crap when I watch it live.  Does that make any sense to you?

Edited by squirrellydw

squirrellydw

Auto and I tried 40.   I fixed it for now.  I uninstalled the app, rebooted the firetv and reinstalled it.  It's back to Direct/V.   So it's working again.  1080i channels still looks funny but I think you know that.  Hopefully you can figure it out, keep up the good work.

squirrellydw

so I think when my server is doing things is when the FireTV app decides to Transcode live TV.  Anyway to prevent that, a setting some place?

so I think when my server is doing things is when the FireTV app decides to Transcode live TV.  Anyway to prevent that, a setting some place?

Yes.  If you are sure you are on a consistent network connection, you can use a specific bitrate instead of the auto setting.  If the machine or server are really bogged down at the time we do the auto test, it can fool it into thinking you don't have much bandwidth.

squirrellydw

So I should change the app to 40 and not auto. Nothing to change on the server side

So I should change the app to 40 and not auto. Nothing to change on the server side

That depends on what kind of connection you have but, yes, pick a fixed rate if you are on a local wired or good wireless network.