Best Live TV Playback??

squirrellydw

PhilWhite

Also is there anyway to make the guide the first thing to launch when you open the app on FireTv? Seems like it takes to many clicks to open it

Eric (Ebr) is probably the best to ask about this.  I know there is a script to open to the HDHR app on Kodi and a setting to open to anything the dvr has recorded (that I can help with).  But I'm afraid I don't know enough about the Emby program (or coding for that matter) to come up with a script that would open to the Emby TV guide initially.  But, yes, it should be possible with the right code.

CBers

Yes, sorry, probably didn't need to say anything since it always take you to the latest for the DVR version.

I think that's just the DVR software though, as I can't find a different firmware.

Where are the firmware update instructions, I can't seem to find them again?

PhilWhite

I think that's just the DVR software though, as I can't find a different firmware.

Where are the firmware update instructions, I can't seem to find them again?

The firmware update is bundled into the windows download. 

• Like 1

squirrellydw

Thanks Phil, I will check out Hitchers app.

As for my guide question, yes I was talking about Embys TV guide.  I would love to launch Emby on my FireTV and have it open the guide on launch.  Currently after I open the app it takes 3 clicks.  Or where it says Live TV change it to the Guide and get rid of the left side bar.  The left side bar in my opinion is a waste, it has the same stuff as the actual menu.

I love the how well everything works though.  Keep up the great work

• Like 1

CBers

Thanks.

Now running v20160512atest1.

• Like 1

squirrellydw

@ebr

I updated the firmware and it didn't work, still showing as Trans/I.   I sent a log around 920 AM Eastern Time.  I played NBC Channel 508 "News 8 Today" it's under user Dave

I'm using a HDHR Prime with a cable card with Verizon Service and a FireTV 4K

Edited by squirrellydw

PhilWhite

Thanks Phil, I will check out Hitchers app.

As for my guide question, yes I was talking about Embys TV guide.  I would love to launch Emby on my FireTV and have it open the guide on launch.  Currently after I open the app it takes 3 clicks.  Or where it says Live TV change it to the Guide and get rid of the left side bar.  The left side bar in my opinion is a waste, it has the same stuff as the actual menu.

I love the how well everything works though.  Keep up the great work

That's actually a really good idea for a feature request.

Ebr, is there a way to do this?  I think it would be best as an option for opening Live TV, maybe as an option in settings?

@ebr

I updated the firmware and it didn't work, still showing as Trans/I.   I sent a log around 920 AM Eastern Time.  I played NBC Channel 508 "News 8 Today" it's under user Dave

I'm using a HDHR Prime with a cable card with Verizon Service and a FireTV 4K

If you are positive that the firmware is up to date now, I'm out of ideas...

squirrellydw

yup, Firmware: 20160512atest1

did you get the log?

EDIT......it now says Direct/V maybe it took awhile for the app to update? but it now says Direct/V. However testing it out on The NFL Network the ticker is a little blurry. The settings I can change in Kodi that I mentioned before fixes that. So I don't think it will work great for hockey but we will find out tonight.

Also if you want me to beta test anything dealing with live tv I wil be happy to help. Just PM a link and I can sideload it if needed. Just won't be able to test anything for about 2 weeks since I will be out of town soon.

Maybe its 1080i stations are not deinterlaced or something

Go Pens!!

Edited by squirrellydw

squirrellydw

Yup still blurry on Emby but looks perfect on Kodi and that is because of the settings I can change. Anyway to add something like that?

CBers

There is a later version from 05/12.  Doesn't change much, though.  Just saying, in case .....

Thanks.

Now running v20160512atest1.

@@PhilWhite - is there a link on the SD site listing the changes in the latest FW, as I couldn't find the information ??

Thanks.

PhilWhite

@@PhilWhite - is there a link on the SD site listing the changes in the latest FW, as I couldn't find the information ??

Thanks.

There is, but I would have to search for it.  I think it was in a post Nickk made at some point.

ETA: It's in the changelog at the top of the page in the DVR section.  Not much of a change is what I recalled -- added detection of h.265 videos

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=32339&start=30

Edited by PhilWhite
  • Like 1

CBers

There is, but I would have to search for it.  I think it was in a post Nickk made at some point.

ETA: It's in the changelog at the top of the page in the DVR section.  Not much of a change is what I recalled -- added detection of h.265 videos

https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=32339&start=30

squirrellydw

OK, so I just got the email and signed up. I can now unsubscribe from all the marketing stuff and still be able to download the latest betas correct?

Also what is the best way to report bugs or make suggestions for the beta?

Edited by squirrellydw

CBers

OK, so I just got the email and signed up. I can now unsubscribe from all the marketing stuff and still be able to download the latest betas correct?

Also what is the best way to report bugs or make suggestions for the beta?

Probably not.

I had a similar issue and I kept marketing on, although it's only 2 emails per day.

I didn't want to turn it off, in case I never got another beta update !!

• Like 1

squirrellydw

OK, thanks.

So any idea if you will be able to make TV look as good as it does when I use Kodi?  The options I change in Kodi are under the movie reel looking icon.  If you are watch Live TV you can hit the menu button on the FireTV remote to bring up options, the movie reel is on the bottom right of the screen.  If you try this and you don't have the option for "Bob" then you need to go to System, Video, Acceleration - turned off Mediacodec Surface and turned on Mediacodec.  My settings are below

Deinterlace Video - On

Deinterlace method - Bob - sometimes I use Bob Inverted, no clue what these are but it really helps smooth everything out like fast movement and scrolling tickers
Video scaling method - Bilnear

Edited by squirrellydw
  • Like 1

Deinterlacing and the Bob method are used for interlaced sources played through VLC in the latest beta.

squirrellydw

Ok. I'm using 1.2.8a and the ticker on CNN is still not as clear it is in Kodi. When the ticker is nice and clear I know it will be perfect. Can you try and add Bob Inverted and maybe have an option to use Bob, Bob Inverted or nothing from a menu? Kinda like the way the audio delay works?

You are dealing with two completely different players and their processing won't necessarily be exactly the same.

Confirm that you are actually playing through VLC as well (OSD would say Direct/V).

CBers

I'll try on the BBC HD and Sky HD channels when I get home tonight, as they both have tickers.

squirrellydw

Yup it says Direct/v. I understand it's not as easy as I would like. Just really want this to look just as good since it would make everything so much easier. Just wondering if you or anyone else has noticed it doesn't look super smooth or should I say it's smooth but not sharp, a little blurry

Also I'm using a FireTV 4K with an HDHOMERUN Prime with Verizon FIOS For what it's worth

Edited by squirrellydw

PhilWhite

Ebr,

Does the VLC player work with OTA TV?  I have it ticked on with the latest beta but see Direct/I for all channels.  There is noticeable but not horrible combing artifact in the 1080i broadcasts.

ETA:  I have transcoding turned off in my Extends right now.  Would it matter if I started transcoding again?  No effect on using the VLC player by turning on transcoding.  This is all with the Fire TV.

Edited by PhilWhite