Best Live TV Playback??

squirrellydw

CBers

I'll try on the BBC HD and Sky HD channels when I get home tonight, as they both have tickers.

Even via the HDHomeRun app on my Shield, the tickers aren't smooth.

Picture is fine, just not the tickers.

CBers

Does the VLC player work with OTA TV?

I only recieve OTA channels in the UK on my HDHomeRun and HD channels are Direct Streamed using VLC, but SD channels are transcoded.

I have a question Eric, but why are the SD channels transcoded, as using the HDHomeRun app on the Shield, Nexus Player and Fire TV, all channels play OK.

What is it that Emby can't do, that makes it transcode SD channels?

squirrellydw

Interesting that you say the tickers don't look great but the picture is fine. Have you tried it with Sports, hockey, football, soccer, baseball etc. when I watch it there seems to be a blur and not look sharp.

Edited by squirrellydw

Spaceboy

I only recieve OTA channels in the UK on my HDHomeRun and HD channels are Direct Streamed using VLC, but SD channels are transcoded.

I have a question Eric, but why are the SD channels transcoded, as using the HDHomeRun app on the Shield, Nexus Player and Fire TV, all channels play OK.

Dvblink Sd channels play in vlc. It's a good picture but I just caught a ticker on itv2 and it was very blurry

CBers

Interesting that you say the tickets don't look great but the picture is fine. Have you tried it with Sports, hockey, football, soccer, baseball etc. when I watch it there seems to be a blur and not look sharp.

No, only on the news channels here in the UK.

We don't get much live sport on FTA channels, but when we do, there are no tickers.

squirrellydw

Yeah I don't have tickers with live sports either, I have just found that when they look perfect so does everything else. However this is what I've noticed using Kodi but Emby seems to be the same.

CBers

Ticker videos.

BBC HD

Sky SD

Not bad, but not as good as the cable versions of the channels.

These were recorded on my Shield using the HDHomeRun View app, but they appear almost identical in Emby Live TV.

I watched the NBA game last night via Emby and it was crystal clear - no judder or anything.  Action was smooth.  Source is OTA via HDHR Connect.

squirrellydw

I watched the NBA game last night via Emby and it was crystal clear - no judder or anything. Action was smooth. Source is OTA via HDHR Connect.

Ok so maybe it has to do with the HDHOMERUN Prime and cable??

Edited by squirrellydw

PhilWhite

Is this with your Shield?  I also see direct streaming with VLC on my Shield.  With the Fire TV, though, I see Direct/I.  Not sure why the Fire TV doesn't use VLC for TV.  It uses it for several movies.

PhilWhite

I watched the NBA game last night via Emby and it was crystal clear - no judder or anything.  Action was smooth.  Source is OTA via HDHR Connect.

With what device?  I see clear differences in several apps with the Shield TV vs. the Fire TV.  But with Kodi and the HDHR app on the Fire TV the picture is clear and tickers look good, so I know it is possible to achieve on the Fire TV.  It's a matter of the correct codecs -- which can get pretty expensive to gather I would imagine.

If I recall correctly, since it has been a while, InstaPro TV provided a pretty good codec pack (for a fee) that produced a good picture.

ETA:  I had time to play with Emby TV on the Shield today and the picture looks terrific.  Is there a way to make the audio offset permanent, though, since it resets to 0 upon changing channels?  I don't have the beta set up for the Shield, only for the Fire TV if that matters. (wait, never mind, I see this is being discussed elsewhere and there is no good solution yet).

Edited by PhilWhite

Is this with your Shield?  I also see direct streaming with VLC on my Shield.  With the Fire TV, though, I see Direct/I.  Not sure why the Fire TV doesn't use VLC for TV.  It uses it for several movies.

Probably because the stream has AC3 audio and you've selected the option to bitstream and that can only be done with the internal player on the Fire platform.

squirrellydw

I had to leave for work at the last minute so I won't be able to upload any videos till I get back.

Kramerika

I just went back and forth on the Shield TV between Emby Live TV and the HDHomerun app for Maya and Marty on NBC (OTA from an HDHomerun Connect), and the HDHomerun app was definitely cleaner and smoother.  Emby wasn't bad.  It just wasn't as good.  Emby was using Direct/V.  I tried the same on the Amazon Fire TV (also using DIrect/V), but I didn't notice as much of a difference.  It was on a different TV though.  I'll test out both apps on both devices more thoroughly with the NBA finals game on Thursday night as that should give me a better sense of what is happening.

CBers

Is this with your Shield?  

Yes.

I will check my Nexus Player and Fire TV (Gen1) tonight.

PhilWhite

Probably because the stream has AC3 audio and you've selected the option to bitstream and that can only be done with the internal player on the Fire platform.

That was it, thanks.  I have to downgrade to stereo for the VLC player, though, to hear anything.  I think the picture, when there is no movement on the screen, looks better with the internal player personally.  Any chance of introducing deinterlacing into the internal player?

Any chance of introducing deinterlacing into the internal player?

That would be up to Google but I'm pretty sure it already does.  I don't see any interlacing artifacts with it anyway.

Also, realize that the Fire TV platform is not true Android and Google is not all that keen on helping it get better :).

squirrellydw

So any chance of adding Bob Inverted as an option like I suggested earlier? Just to see if that helps. Have it so you can choose what one you want to use kind of like the way Kodi does it? I understand they are different but worth a shot.

PhilWhite

That would be up to Google but I'm pretty sure it already does.  I don't see any interlacing artifacts with it anyway.

Also, realize that the Fire TV platform is not true Android and Google is not all that keen on helping it get better :).

Very true.  It sounds like Amazon is laying groundwork in their latest update for TV integration (possibly, at least according to AFTV news), so maybe they will upgrade their innards on their own.

So any chance of adding Bob Inverted as an option like I suggested earlier? Just to see if that helps. Have it so you can choose what one you want to use kind of like the way Kodi does it? I understand they are different but worth a shot.

To my knowledge no such method exists in VLC.

Sorry, but I'm not going to expose these options as settings because they will be used by .

Alexortega1

It should work pretty much with the default settings.

The VLC software library is part of Emby, so you do not have to install it separately.

What problems are you experiencing, if any ??

Also, recordings should show up almost immediately if you have the "Enable real time monitoring" set on.

PhilWhite

The recent Fire TV update not only allows us to launch apps with voice commands but also seems to have added some audio codecs.  Two days ago, with bitstreaming off, I could use the vlc player but had to downgrade audio to stereo.  Now I can use the vlc player for Live TV and movies that I encoded with AC3 and get Dolby sound.

Don't know what else they have planned, but I like the direction this is taking.

I still see some comb artifact with 1080i channels, but that is only NBC and CBS.  Everything else looks great.

squirrellydw

The recent Fire TV update not only allows us to launch apps with voice commands but also seems to have added some audio codecs.  Two days ago, with bitstreaming off, I could use the vlc player but had to downgrade audio to stereo.  Now I can use the vlc player for Live TV and movies that I encoded with AC3 and get Dolby sound.

Don't know what else they have planned, but I like the direction this is taking.

I still see some comb artifact with 1080i channels, but that is only NBC and CBS.  Everything else looks great.

I have to agree with this, NBC still looks a little weird to me but most other channels look very good so far.  Will test out more next week when I return again.  Only home for a day then out of town again.

squirrellydw

So I've had a little more time to test this out and so far NBC and CNN look a little weird, most everything else looks great.  I'm guessing that's why hockey didn't look good, it was on NBC and NBCSN.  ESPN looks great, I was just watching some college basket ball to test it out and the ticker looked perfect, the ticker on CNN looks blurry.  Again I just use the ticker as one of the ways to see how the channel looks.  Here is a link to what CNN looks like.

I also would love to launch Emby on my FireTV and have it open the guide on launch.  Currently after I open the app it takes 3 clicks.  Or where it says Live TV change it to the Guide and get rid of the left side bar.  The left side bar in my opinion is a waste, it has the same stuff as the actual menu.  

Any chance of this happening?

Edited by squirrellydw