Best Live TV Playback??

squirrellydw

squirrellydw

So I have my FireTV 4K hardwired, what if anything do I need to change to get the best playback?  Do I need to have VLC installed or it that part of the app?  Every now and then is stutters but not much.

Also how long after a recording ends should it take to show up in Recordings?

Thanks

Edited by squirrellydw

CBers

It should work pretty much with the default settings.

The VLC software library is part of Emby, so you do not have to install it separately.

What problems are you experiencing, if any ??

Also, recordings should show up almost immediately if you have the "Enable real time monitoring" set on.

squirrellydw

Well I was watching hockey last night and it was kinda jittery. It looks great when I watch it through Kodi but in Kodi I can adjust some settings to make it nice and smooth. If I can get Emby to look as good as Kodi with hockey I would be very happy.

Can you further describe "kinda jittery"?

What options do you change in Kodi?

Which player was being used in the app?  The OSD says either Direct/I or DirectV...

squirrellydw

Jittery is the video playback for fast action like hockey.  I was watching the hockey game last night on NBC and it was jittery/jerky and not smooth.  I had to switch to Kodi so I could watch it.  Everything else in Emby looks fine but I have noticed its not a smooth as Kodi when there is fast pace action.  I'm using the Emby app on FireTV

The options I change in Kodi are under the movie reel looking icon.  If you are watch Live TV you can hit the menu button on the FireTV remote to bring up options, the movie reel is on the bottom right of the screen.  If you try this and you don't have the option for "Bob" then you need to go to 

System, Video, Acceleration - turned off Mediacodec Surface and turned on Mediacodec.

The options below are what I change in Kodi.

Deinterlace Video - On

Deinterlace method - "Bob"

Not sure what you mean by "Which player was being used in the app?  The OSD says either Direct/I or DirectV"

While playing your TV stream, hit any button to bring up the On Screen Display.  The last gray bar will say "Direct/V" or "Direct/I" or maybe "Trans/I".

What you are describing as jerky playback sounds to me more like a framerate problem than a deinterlacing one...

squirrellydw

Trans/I is what it says.

It very well might be a framerate problem.  Anyway to fix it?  I want to use Emby but if I can't fix this it just won't work.  

Okay, so it is transcoding and in the Google player (which I have noticed does have some framerate issues).

What is your Live TV back-end?

With our built in Live TV support?

If so, you should be able to direct stream it.  Did you turn off the option to direct stream Live TV in the app?  Do you have strong signal or is it spotty?

squirrellydw

Yes.

Can I turn off transcode for just my firetv and still have it work on my phone?

Seems like every channel is transcoding

Edited by squirrellydw

squirrellydw
With our built in Live TV support?

YES

If so, you should be able to direct stream it.  Did you turn off the option to direct stream Live TV in the app?  Do you have strong signal or is it spotty?

I didn't turn it off.  Signal is strong I have basic cable, no antenna. Cheaper to get basic cable and Internet than Internet alone.  

My settings in the FireTV Emby app

Max Streaming Bitrate - Auto

Use VLC for Playback - Checked

Direct Stream Live TV - Checked

​Attempt to use VLC for Live TV - Checked

Max Resolution to Attempt Direct Stream - All

HDHOMERUN Prime

Signal Strength - 100% (16.3 dBmV)

Signal Quality - 100% (37.7 dB)

Firmware Version - 20150826

Edited by squirrellydw

squirrellydw

nope still Trans/I on all channels that I tested

I can send you a log if that helps. Just tell me how to get it.

Edited by squirrellydw

Go to the settings for the app and turn on the Debug option.

Then go play your live stream for a few seconds and back out to the home screen and use the "Send Log" button.

Then come here and tell me when you did it, what you played and the name of the Emby user.

Thanks.

CBers

YES

I didn't turn it off. Signal is strong I have basic cable, no antenna. Cheaper to get basic cable and Internet than Internet alone.

My settings in the FireTV Emby app

Max Streaming Bitrate - Auto

Use VLC for Playback - Checked

Direct Stream Live TV - Checked

​Attempt to use VLC for Live TV - Checked

Max Resolution to Attempt Direct Stream - All

HDHOMERUN Prime

Signal Strength - 100% (16.3 dBmV)

Signal Quality - 100% (37.7 dB)

Firmware Version - 20150826

The latest version of firmware on my HDHomeRun Connect, is 20160426atest1.

Thank you.

That is the answer.  You need to update the firmware on your HDHR.  I don't need the log.

squirrellydw

thank you, I will try this tonight and test it tomorrow when the hockey game is on and report back.  Hope this fixes it,  if it does I will become a Premier member in a few weeks to support you guys even though I don't really need the extra features 

I thought the version was only for DVR features.  Didn't know it fixed or added anything different

Off topic, any idea if/when DRM support might happen?

Edited by squirrellydw

PhilWhite

There is a later version from 05/12.  Doesn't change much, though.  Just saying, in case .....

Quick question for Eric, when I have vlc set for playback TV has no sound.  When I uncheck that option and direct stream (Direct/I) sound is fine.  Any idea why? This is using the Fire TV, by the way.

I can only see minor deinterlace issues during rapid movement with Emby TV now (1080i channels only), otherwise looks terrific.  Actually it is virtually identical to the Kodi version of the HDHR app.  Tickers look great with little to no stuttering.  Emby TV looks much better than the green or grey SD apps on Fire TV.  I haven't checked it out on the Shield TV yet.

I started using Kodi again just to use the HDHR app because I didn't have the settings right for Emby TV (now fixed).  The great thing I recently discovered is that there is no need to use Emby for Kodi since there is a way to launch android apps directly from Kodi, including the Emby app.  Hitcher's fire TV skin makes this a native feature, for anyone that might be interested (and it works well on Nvidia Shield TV too).  Not sure I need Kodi now, though.

• Like 1

squirrellydw

Phil. Do you use a Prime or something else? Also can you link to this program to launch from Kodi?

Also is there anyway to make the guide the first thing to launch when you open the app on FireTv? Seems like it takes to many clicks to open it

PhilWhite

Phil. Do you use a Prime or something else? Also can you link to this program to launch from Kodi?

Also is there anyway to make the guide the first thing to launch when you open the app on FireTv? Seems like it takes to many clicks to open it

Currently I use 2 extends.  I used a prime when I still had cable service from TWC, but I gave that up years ago.  In fact, one of my biggest beefs against the Shield TV is the lack of app support for streaming services.  While Sling TV is available, I prefer PlayStation Vue now.  I'm sure there will be better options soon.  And the only available apps for HGTV and Food Network that can work for the Shield with a PlayStation Vue account have to be sideloaded (unless you use one of the five approved cable providers) and are not as good as the Fire TV apps IMO.

There are a couple of ways to launch android apps from Kodi.  I will link to a few ways to do it, but they all require some explanation depending on which skin you choose to use.  Keep in mind that this works for android apps.  I don't know of a way to do it in windows or any other platform.  Give me a few minutes to find them.

Not sure what you mean by making the guide the first thing to launch on the Fire TV.  Do you mean the Emby TV guide?

ETA:

OK, here is one of the ways I initially used the android launcher.  I did it with the Aeon Nox skin, which is a little different from what is described in this article

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-add-android-app-shortcuts-to-kodi-xbmc-homescreen/

And here is an article about different skins for Kodi that work well on the Fire TV.  http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-skins-for-amazon-fire-tv/

I have personally used Aeon Nox and now Hitcher's ftv version, which is the second discussed.  Couple of points, though -- there is a link in the discussion of Hitcher's skin (the second one) to the original announcement on the Kodi forum.  If you are using Jarvis, the link to the Jarvis download actually takes you to the Krypton download page.  Apparently Hitcher gave up on Jarvis.  There is an alternate version, though, that includes TV support that I am using and which works well with Jarvis (16.0, 16.1).  I will try to track that down as well.

ETA ETA:

Ah, yes, here is the Kodi thread introducing the stable version that works with Jarvis  http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-skins-for-amazon-fire-tv/

This is the skin I am using right now.  The apps section includes android apps.  Click on the android app icon and you can see all your fire tv android apps.  Favorite them (click on menu on remote) and then you can put the ones you really want to use in a favorites section.

Edited by PhilWhite

PhilWhite

Thanks.

Still the same link though ?

Yes, sorry, probably didn't need to say anything since it always take you to the latest for the DVR version.