Live TV / Android TV / HD Homerun

Spaceboy

vlc has been around a long time and is designed to be highly resilient and accept just about any file format. You can't necessarily blame other apps for not going that far, especially when there are sometimes benefits to choosing the native video player for the device over libVlc.

In any event, the setting is designed to convert recordings to a streaming friendly format, so if we stick that original goal, aac_latm is not a streaming friendly audio format and should be converted.

because it's in a ts container and a lot of players have difficulty with aac_latm in mp4 or mkv.

Spaceboy

So does any of this mean better support for the ts format in the atv app? as this is what dvblink uses

Guest asrequested

I think actually what i'm going to do instead of .ts is convert to mp4 but transcode the audio. it will be aac_latm to aac so it will be fine.

Luke, not to be a pain...but....is there any way I can let ffdshow process AAC? LAV can't process them, and if its two channel, all I get is stereo, defeating the purpose configuring the audio settings to 7.1. ffdshow can process it to 5.1 AC3 on the fly. If there were a way to choose which codecs LAV will decode (as it was in the legacy theater), then I can achieve my goal. This would be amazing if you could do this :)  

Guest asrequested

it doesnt actually say that though does it? it says

Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format

Recordings will be converted on the fly to MP4 for easy playback on your devices.

^

uuuummmm ............        It says it right there. That's the container, not the codec

Edited by Doofus

Spaceboy

Yes but we are discussing the second of those options, the one you haven't quoted

Guest asrequested

The second setting (in my case) doesn't change the container. But it's of no consequence. Both work, I was just curious :)

Edited by Doofus

So does any of this mean better support for the ts format in the atv app? as this is what dvblink uses

Define "better".