Live TV / Android TV / HD Homerun

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

Hi, i've muddled through with live tv since adding a couple of HD Homeruns in place of dvblink but i have a few issues.

Most notably no recordings show up in the webclient or any other apps unless i manually refresh the library. once i do that everything is detected. i have real time monitoring on, which works elsewhere but new recordings are not detected. the live tv folder is in the same folder as all my other media subfolders so no access problems.

second i keep setting direct stream live tv in the android tv app but it regularly unchecks itself. even checked and with direct audio and use vlc everything transcodes on the internal player. some logs attached 

recorded tv all plays fine direct to vlc

i often get video playback errors, i'll try and catch one and send logs

cheers!

Guest asrequested

First, try installing the latest firmware. https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613 That should help with the transcoding issue.

The live tv folder is in the same folder as all my other media subfolders so no access problems.

This sounds like an issue. Can you post a screenshot of your library configurations and Live TV configuration in the server?

Spaceboy

updated the firmware, it made no difference. i would suggest that, given that recorded tv doesn't transcode, that its an issue with the android tv app.

5757c55e4ab2f_library.jpg

5757c5725ca53_livetv.jpg

CBers

updated the firmware, it made no difference. i would suggest that, given that recorded tv doesn't transcode, that its an issue with the android tv app.

What makes you think recorded TV doesn't transcode ??

It all depends on the type of codec is used.

I have some that Direct Streams and others that only transcode, the same as Live TV.

Do the recordings show in the Web Client ?? If so, how do they play in the Web Client ??

What version of the ATV app are you using and on what platform, Shield, Nexus Player, Fire TV or other ??

You might want to enable the "Preserve original audio when converting recordings" setting. This will create an MKV file rather than an MP4 file.

Edited by CBers

Spaceboy

What makes you think recorded TV doesn't transcode ??

It all depends on the type of codec is used.

I have some that Direct Streams and others that only transcode, the same as Live TV.

Do the recordings show in the Web Client ?? If so, how do they play in the Web Client ??

What version of the ATV app are you using and on what platform, Shield, Nexus Player, Fire TV or other ??

You might want to enable the "Preserve original audio when converting recordings" setting. This will create an MKV file rather than an MP4 file.

i believe recorded tv does not transcode because the OSD says direct/v whereas with live tv it says transcoding.

the recordings only show in the web client if i manually refresh the library or restart emby. they play fine in the web client once they show

this is on shield, beta ATV app on the latest 1.25g i think it was.

its not recordings i am having a problem with but i will try checking that option.

CBers

i believe recorded tv does not transcode because the OSD says direct/v whereas with live tv it says transcoding.

Oh I see, I didn't realise that's what you meant.

the recordings only show in the web client if i manually refresh the library or restart emby. they play fine in the web client once they show

this is on shield, beta ATV app on the latest 1.25g i think it was.

its not recordings i am having a problem with but i will try checking that option.

Not sure why they're not showing, but perhaps you could post a server log following a successful recording for Luke/Eric to look at.

Spaceboy

recorded the last 10 mins of some program called scorpion from 11.05 to 11.15 on ITVHD. it showed as a future recording while it was recording and completely disappeared once completed

stupid log doesn't go past 5am. i'll restart and do it all again

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 1

CBers

@@Spaceboy - you might want to obfuscate some of the information in your log files before posting them, especially your DDNS/external Ip address.

Spaceboy

try this one. can't remember what the program was, possibly This Morning but it recorded from about 12pm to 12.15 

Edited by Spaceboy

CBers

You had a recording start at 12:02 and finished at 12:19::

2016-06-08 12:02:36.4681 Info App: Writing file to path: \\diskstation\media\media\livetv\Series\Dinner Date\Dinner Date 2015-10-28.mp4
2016-06-08 12:19:57.2805 Info App: FFMpeg recording exited with code 0 for \\diskstation\media\media\livetv\Series\Dinner Date\Dinner Date 2015-10-28.mp4
2016-06-08 12:19:57.2805 Info App: Recording completed: \\diskstation\media\media\livetv\Series\Dinner Date\Dinner Date 2015-10-28.mp4

Do yo see it on disk ?? Does it show under Recordings in the Web Client ??

Spaceboy

its on disk, but its not in the web client. it records everything, shows me nothing unless i manually refresh

575804391ea19_Capture.png

Edited by Spaceboy

CBers

Is \\diskstation\media\media\livetv\Series being monitored by Emby ??

I don't recall having to do anything for Emby to monitor my recordings, but something is awry.

Hopefully Luke/@@ebr can take a look.

• Like 1

Spaceboy

\\diskstation\media\media\livetv is. i think i showed that in the screenshots above. plus it works on manual initiation just live tv real time monitoring is not working

second i keep setting direct stream live tv in the android tv app but it regularly unchecks itself. even checked and with direct audio and use vlc everything transcodes on the internal player. 

If that setting is getting reset it means that we are unable to play your direct streams.  The player tries to direct stream but, if it fails, it turns that setting off and tries again.  

Spaceboy

but it doesn't happen all the time. i see times when the app says it cannot play tv and it will retry which is probably what you are describing but its very random

i've got to say i'm quite disappointed the promised nirvana of emby tv and hd homeruns is no better than the external services

i've got to say i'm quite disappointed the promised nirvana of emby tv and hd homeruns is no better than the external services

Maybe that means that the real issues are elsewhere - like with signal strength or other network bandwidth...?

I really have no issues direct streaming my Live TV - except for actual source signal problems which I definitely have on some channels since I'm just OTA in a suburb.

Spaceboy

why would the signal strength affect transcoding and recordings not showing up in emby?

You just said the "overall experience" and were discussing the fact that your Live TV did not direct stream.

If there are problems getting access to the live streams then that would affect their ability to direct stream due to the fact that the app will fall back to transcoding in order to make something play.

Spaceboy

You just said the "overall experience" and were discussing the fact that your Live TV did not direct stream.

If there are problems getting access to the live streams then that would affect their ability to direct stream due to the fact that the app will fall back to transcoding in order to make something play.

actually no. i started the thread by saying the main problem is that recorded tv does not show up in the server.

you are the only person to have used the words "overall experience" so i'm not sure why you quoted it like that?

but i do feel that the easy option was taken when i was trying to get the external services working. first you blame my specific back end and despite me telling you repeatedly that others on other back ends are also suffering the same problems this was repeated. eventually you seem to accept that and just blame all external services instead. so i went out bought hd homeruns and have showed you that these also have similar issues.

@@CBers lives less than 50 miles from me i would guess and maybe even uses the same antennae (crystal palace). we have the same set up and are getting vastly different outcomes.

i'm on the stable server version, would that be the problem?

Sorry, my quotes were meant to convey that I was summarizing your comments, not quoting them directly.  I can see how that would have looked wrong.

As you say, CBers seems to have a much better experience so the problems you are seeing are probably down to some sort of differences in the environment.

Your issue of the recordings not showing up is going to be something fairly simple I would imagine - like your automatic files system monitoring not working (it doesn't on all types of file systems) or some other configuration issue.

Spaceboy

no problem, ok what can i look at? as i say real time monitoring works for all other media apart from live tv

movies is here for example \\diskstation\media\media\movies

live tv is here \\diskstation\media\media\livetv

each library is mapped to a subfolder within \\diskstation\media\media\ . i can't see why monitoring for live tv doesn't work? i had a log showing it but cbers pointed out that it had personal info in. i think i've removed it now 

yeah i can see my external ip all over the place in the log as well so i will remove shortly

Edited by Spaceboy

I wonder if somehow this is causing an overall problem with the watcher:

2016-06-08 12:00:49.1555 Error LibraryMonitor: Error watching path: \\DISKSTATION\media\test
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5972.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	Processor count: 8
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	The directory name \\DISKSTATION\media\test is invalid.
	System.ArgumentException
	   at System.IO.FileSystemWatcher..ctor(String path, String filter)
	   at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.IO.LibraryMonitor.<>c__DisplayClass12.<StartWatchingPath>b__11()

Can you remove that path from where ever it is referenced just to see?

Spaceboy

found it and removed it, its just initiated a library scan. once complete i'll schedule another recording and see what happens. i may try emby tv on a clean install rather than one that previously used an external service when i get home and see if that makes any difference too

Spaceboy

also something for you to mull over which i was going to leave until after we had resolved this.

i think the links to the recordings entries in the android tv app are the wrong way round. i'll explain:

the easiest to get to is that on the recorded tv row. but all that shows is future recordings, plus one or two current recordings (which for me have not been current) which only identify the episode, not the series name

the more long winded one is the recordings folder in the top row, now that is useful. here i can see all recordings in a proper library structure.

please could the entry point on the recorded tv row take you to the full recordings folder? the current entry point is only useful if is groups recordings by series title and shows all recordings. future recordings are not that useful imo... maybe the next days but no more

Spaceboy

no change i am afraid. how i met your mother recorded between 16.15 and 16.30. showed up as a future recording, then disappeared log