Live TV / Android TV / HD Homerun

Spaceboy

also something for you to mull over which i was going to leave until after we had resolved this.

i think the links to the recordings entries in the android tv app are the wrong way round. i'll explain:

the easiest to get to is that on the recorded tv row. but all that shows is future recordings, plus one or two current recordings (which for me have not been current) which only identify the episode, not the series name

the more long winded one is the recordings folder in the top row, now that is useful. here i can see all recordings in a proper library structure.

please could the entry point on the recorded tv row take you to the full recordings folder? the current entry point is only useful if is groups recordings by series title and shows all recordings. future recordings are not that useful imo... maybe the next days but no more

Yeah, unfortunately, this is due to the changes to how the recordings library is now handled.

If the API provides me a way to discover the ID of the recordings library, then I can change it.  However, I still think we need the other information that is in that Recordings view now because it is the only place you can see scheduled items.  We just need a link from there to the real recordings library.

Spaceboy

also tried setting up a new recordings folder to see if that was the problem. made no difference. what else can i try?

CBers

@@CBers lives less than 50 miles from me i would guess and maybe even uses the same antennae (crystal palace). we have the same set up and are getting vastly different outcomes.

I think I'm on the Bluebell Hill transmitter, but signal strength is good.

I don't use Live TV as much as you do, but I've not had too many issues.

Recordings seem to appear OK, and nuVue reports them as new also.

I need to check the ATV app, as been away for a few days, do probably not on the latest version.

Spaceboy

progress! i found the issue went away when i turned off the option to organise recordings by type, series / movies / sport etc. now i have a flat folder structure in the recording folder everything is detected within a min of the recording starting. seems this is where this issue is.

@@CBers i've seen you posting about aac_latm audio, this does not play through my avr with direct turned on. i'll check for your thread on the matter.

i'll check on the other matters listed here and update

• Like 1

CBers

I don't use that setting either, as it made the recordings all screwed in the various interfaces.

I still didn't get your original problem though.

Yes, AAC_LATM seems to cause me a problem at the moment!

Spaceboy

so i think i got to the bottom of this. the issue of recordings not being picked up by the real time monitor was solved by switching off the option to organise recordings by type.

transcoding problems are the result of this http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35338-aac-latm-audio/page-4&do=findComment&comment=336798 i'll join that

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

You might want to enable the "Preserve original audio when converting recordings" setting. This will create an MKV file rather than an MP4 file..

All mine are MP4 and preserve the audio.

Guest asrequested

\\diskstation\media\media\livetv is. i think i showed that in the screenshots above. plus it works on manual initiation just live tv real time monitoring is not working

Can you post a screenshot of you libraries in the server, so we can look at the configuration?

Disregard. I just read that you've found a solution. 

Edited by Doofus

CBers

All mine are MP4 and preserve the audio.

Strange, as all of mine get created as an MKV.

Guest asrequested

Strange, as all of mine get created as an MKV.

I'm on beta, maybe you're on dev? I know that at one time, Luke had it temporarily set to create MKV. Maybe your tuner is able to transcode? The HDHR Prime can't transcode, so the server does everything, and puts it an MP4 container.

575a16b1d6ac7_Snapshot_106.jpg

Edited by Doofus

Spaceboy

I'm having a problem with playing direct to the vlc player. Playback is quite jerky when playing back HD live tv either from a HD homerun using embytv or using an external service. It's not the network, I did a speed test on the shield and managed to pull 46Mb. what else could I look at?

Guest asrequested

I'm on stable and mine record as mkv

I wonder why this happens. I'm really curious. Are you using any plugins? The server says that it will use MP4, and mine are, but you guys are getting MKV. I don't use any TV plugins, just the server.

Spaceboy

The server says that it will use MP4, and mine are, but you guys are getting MKV. I don't use any TV plugins, just the server.

it doesnt actually say that though does it? it says

Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format

Recordings will be converted on the fly to MP4 for easy playback on your devices.

but under preserve audio it says

Preserve original audio when converting recordings

This will provide better audio but may require transcoding during playback on some devices.

it doesn't mention anything about mp4's.

if i had to surmise i would guess that either you dont have both of these options selected or they are actually recording in mkv and you haven't noticed

• Like 1

Actually, it does say it will convert to MP4 (in the detailed description) but that is probably erroneous as, that may depend on the other options in play.

if the source audio is aac_latm, ffmpeg will fail to save to mp4, and many players will have trouble with it inside mkv. therefore, if you select preserve original audio and the source audio is a variant of aac, it will now save as .ts.

• Like 2

CBers

if the source audio is aac_latm, ffmpeg will fail to save to mp4, and many players will have trouble with it inside mkv. therefore, if you select preserve original audio and the source audio is a variant of aac, it will now save as .ts.

Thanks Luke.

I'll record something, play it back and report here.

Playback of the ts files causes the ATV app to crash.

I have sent 2 reports via the Google reporting method.

Playback of the ts files causes the ATV app to crash.

I have sent 2 reports via the Google reporting method.

I've never figured out how to properly interpret those reports unfortunately, but the one you just sent is classified as an ANR.  I'm not sure it is related to playing back that particular item but hard to tell from what I can see.

My internal report, however, is much more informative.

Make sure you have proper media info on those items.  Refresh them in the web client.

Luke - how is it possible for a StreamInfo response to return null for getVideoStream?  What is the app to do in that instance?

CBers

ANR?

Just had to reboot my Shield as the ATV app wouldn't open.

Apart from Emby identifying "QUESTION TIME" as a movie called "A QUESTION OF TIME" (!!), it's playing back with Trans/I on the OSD.

Can these ts files not be DIRECT STREAMED?

How/where does Emby get the information from you say that it's a movie, as the info in the guide says "Talk / Public Affairs / Debate" ?

Edited by CBers

Can these ts files not be DIRECT STREAMED?

Just like every time the answer is "it depends".  And it depends on a lot of different factors.  First guess would be they have AC3 audio and you want that bitstreamed and that requires the Google player - which cannot seek a .TS so we have to transcode to allow seeking.

But, overall, as long as it is playing back properly, why do you care so much?  Even when playing "direct" you realize that some form of video conversion is still going on, right? It is just happening in a different place.

I understand if things are stuttering because your server can't keep up, but, if that isn't the case, forget about how it is playing and just watch it :).

I think actually what i'm going to do instead of .ts is convert to mp4 but transcode the audio. it will be aac_latm to aac so it will be fine.

CBers

Oh I agree, but when other apps such as the VLC app can play them direct (initiated via ES FILE Explorer), its hard to accept that Emby can't do it.

No matter, I will persevere.