The wrong Chris Evans listed as Top Gear presenter?!?

Crestj

Guest asrequested

The api only returns names of actor not there id. How is Emby suppose to know which Chris Evans this is suppose to be?

Example

<root response="True">
<movie title="The Avengers" year="2012" rated="PG-13" released="04 May 2012" runtime="143 min" genre="Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi" director="Joss Whedon" writer="Joss Whedon (screenplay), Zak Penn (story), Joss Whedon (story)" actors="Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth" plot="Earth's mightiest heroes must come together and learn to fight as a team if they are to stop the mischievous Loki and his alien army from enslaving humanity." language="English, Russian" country="USA" awards="Nominated for 1 Oscar. Another 36 wins & 77 nominations." poster="http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTk2NTI1MTU4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg0OTY0Nw@@._V1_SX300.jpg" metascore="69" imdbRating="8.1" imdbVotes="972,009" imdbID="tt0848228" type="movie"/>
</root>

So you're saying it's impossible to apply any actor metadata, at all? There's no way any modification could be made to allow the application of an actor's ID?

Happy2Play

This is what the providers are returning.  So until the providers link actors to movies/series/episodes by ID instead of by Name.  Emby can't do anything.

Guest asrequested

This is what the providers are returning.  So until the providers link actors to movies/series/episodes by ID instead of by Name.  Emby can't do anything.

I don't think you're understanding my suggestion. I'm not suggesting it be part of the automatic provision. I'm suggesting it be a manual augmentation that we apply and Emby follows. So when Emby refreshes the metadata, it then checks a local cache that we create when we apply the actor ID. So it doesn't keep looking online for the actor ID, just the cache of the ID that we download. So it's used purely as a corrective measure for the few that need it.

Edited by Doofus

Happy2Play

That requires revamping the People system since they are linked to a actor by Name folder.  You could do it but you would have to create the separate actor folder for each actor (Chris Evans and Chris Evans (2)) and manually update and lock all metadata for Movie/Series/Season/Episodes you are making these updates to of the same named actor.

Guest asrequested

That requires revamping the People system since they are linked to a actor by Name folder.  You could do it but you would have to create the separate actor folder for each actor (Chris Evans and Chris Evans (2)) and manually update and lock all metadata for Movie/Series/Season/Episodes you are making these updates to of the same named actor.

But there would be very few of them. It would only be for the ones we need. In this case, just one, and it would only apply specifically to that show.

Happy2Play

Actors are linked by Name so you would have to create an additions by name folder for that actor.

example make additional actor folder and edit movie metadata.  But it is all manual editing of metadata.

575c73964db76_folders.jpg

575c73a4d256a_actors.jpg

Guest asrequested

Actors are linked by Name so you would have to create an additions by name folder for that actor.

example make additional actor folder and edit movie metadata.  But it is all manual editing of metadata.

575c73964db76_folders.jpg

575c73a4d256a_actors.jpg

So this is a global solution? This would apply to the entire database? That seems like a long way around. Couldn't the few KBs of data be stored in the show's folder and applied only to that show. We're only talking about a few lines of text and a picture. How do you apply your metadata, I don't see a way to to that in the manager. Or are you saying go directly to the files and edit those?

Edited by Doofus

Happy2Play

With the current system there is no way possible do to providers only returning actor names and actors being stored by actor names folder and you can't have two folders named the same.  You have to be able to point the media metadata to the proper folder to get the proper image and stored metadata from that folder for that actor.

And to store info in for say an Actor folder in with media.  Well if I have 20 movies by Will Smith why would I want metadata saved 20 times in 20 different movies?  Has been discussed before.

Edited by Happy2Play

Guest asrequested

With the current system there is no way possible do to providers only returning actor names and actors being stored by actor names folder and you can't have two folders named the same.  You have to be able to point the media metadata to the proper folder to get the proper image and stored metadata from that folder for that actor.

And to store info in for say an Actor folder in with media.  Well if I have 20 movies by Will Smith why would I want metadata saved 20 times in 20 different movies?  Has been discussed before.

Ok, Ok, we're just around in circles. This is the opposite of what I'm suggesting. I haven't made myself clear. I'll stop, here  :)

Happy2Play

Couldn't the few KBs of data be stored in the show's folder and applied only to that show.

I believe Kodi does or did this creating an Actor folder with your media to store actors with each media folder.  This is redundant and a waste of space, when you look at large libraries, to me at least as example above (post 33).

But as you say as for a few, I have shown it can be done but it requires a manual process.

Edited by Happy2Play

Guest asrequested

But as you say as for a few, I have shown it can be done but it requires a manual process.

I was just checking this out. I hadn't realized this could be done. I like this. I'm not totally sure how to do it, right now, but I think I'll experiment a little  :) I'm assuming once edited, you lock it? If someone wrote a plugin for this. That would be amazing!  :)

Happy2Play

I would lock it just to be safe, but I did a refresh unlocked and my edits remain but I think Luke has mentioned data is cached for a few days.

Steps

1) Create actor folder with modified name.

2) Open Metadata Manager select media actor is in and edit the actors name to same as actor folder you created

3) Ensure you hit save at the top or bottom of screen in Metadata Manager

4) Perform a Library Scan

5) Search for modified actor

6) Identify modified actor and add proper id

Steps1-3 need to be done in all media modified actor is in

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

After a few teething problems, mission accomplished

575c95cfe277c_Snapshot_112.jpg

575c95ee11419_Snapshot_113.jpg

Now I can delete the show, lol

• Like 1

Doofus - you are looking at the wrong metadata.  Yes, it would be possible for us to appy an ID to a specific person once that person is in your system.

HOWEVER, the source of that person is actually from the movie or show metadata.  Pull up the nfo file for one of your movies and look at the definition of the actors.  They are only listed by name.  Therefore, when a new movie comes in, it is impossible to associate the people in it by ID because those IDs are not in the source metadata.

Understand now...?

Guest asrequested

I'm being treated like my namesake  :)

Doofus - you are looking at the wrong metadata. 

HOWEVER, the source of that person is actually from the movie or show metadata.  Pull up the nfo file for one of your movies and look at the definition of the actors.  They are only listed by name.  Therefore, when a new movie comes in, it is impossible to associate the people in it by ID because those IDs are not in the source metadata.

Understand now...?

Yes ebr, I understood that from the beginning.   

Yes, it would be possible for us to appy an ID to a specific person once that person is in your system.

Yes I understand that the alternate Chris Evans wasn't originally added to the database from the metadata, and therefore an ID couldn't be applied due to him not existing. What I was suggesting is a post metadata acquisition manual correction. Where we could add a new person by using the ID. Emby would recognize that ID isn't in the database, and add the new person. And if Emby primarily looks at the name to distinguish between people, when the new identity is being added maybe it would present us with a renaming option. I also realize that this may not be possible due to how the software is written  :)

Another way to achieve what Happy2play has kindly provided. Thank you for that, by the way  :)

Please don't assume I don't understand because I have a different perspective  :)

Edited by Doofus

Sorry, but I still don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. Mostly moot since you've already solved this in the best way possible right now, but, as an attempt of further clarification:

Since all the movie metadata has in it is "Chris Evans" even if you create a different Chris Evans with an ID of some sort, when another movie with "Chris Evans" comes in, there will be no way to know he is the one you want.

Their are only two ways to solve this:

1) The way that Happy suggested and that you have now applied. This requires no IDs or other special handling.

2) All providers to start providing people in the metadata by ID instead of by Name and for us to then change everything to work with that.

Number one, as you've found, is the only practical solution right now :).

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Sorry, but I still don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. Mostly moot since you've already solved this in the best way possible right now, but, as an attempt of further clarification:

Since all the movie metadata has in it is "Chris Evans" even if you create a different Chris Evans with an ID of some sort, when another movie with "Chris Evans" comes in, there will be no way to know he is the one you want.

Their are only two ways to solve this:

1) The way that Happy suggested and that you have now applied. This requires no IDs or other special handling.

2) All providers to start providing people in the metadata by ID instead of by Name and for us to then change everything to work with that.

Number one, as you've found, is the only practical solution right now :).

Yes, I realize that future additions would not follow the new identity that was created. I'm simply suggesting having a tool to correct them within metadata manager. As it stands, there will be people that won't be able to or don't want to use the other method of correction. I think it would be a good idea if there were and easy to use tool within emby.

I what you're asking for is to design a tool to help you rename Chris Evans to something like Chris Evans_ so that it will be unique. I don't think that's a great idea if it requires manual work. The only bullet proof solution would require changing the way people are stored in metadata files.

Guest asrequested

I what you're asking for is to design a tool to help you rename Chris Evans to something like Chris Evans_ so that it will be unique. I don't think that's a great idea if it requires manual work. The only bullet proof solution would require changing the way people are stored in metadata files.

Ok, I don't disagree with that. It was just a suggestion. I do think there should be some way in Emby to correct this.

Edited by Doofus

• 3 weeks later...
Crestj

Seems like this is now no longer going to be an issue! Lol

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

• Like 4