The wrong Chris Evans listed as Top Gear presenter?!?

Crestj

Crestj

Just noticed that the Chris Evans that has just taken over Top Gear (in the UK) is the same guy as Captain America!

The problem is that I cannot find a way to edit the TV Show data so it selects the "other" Chris Evans.

How do you differentiate between 2 people with the same name?

• Like 1

Crestj

Not sure how to write Chris Evans in there and it know which one is the right one.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

Unfortunately there is no way to handle multiple actors with the same name unless you are willing to modify all metadata (Movie, Series, Season, Episode) pertaining to one of them to make them unique.

Crestj

It's not a big deal so I'm not overly bothered.

Just wanted to highlight a potential issue.

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Maybe there should be an IMDB metadata fetcher for actors, in the metadata manager.

575c5e75e10ca_Snapshot_110.jpg

Edited by Doofus

Maybe there should be an IMDB metadata fetcher for actors. They are both listed there.

Unfortunately, we cannot do that as that data is not free.  Actually, it is very, very far from free :).

Also, that wouldn't necessarily solve the real issue as most of our source data only provides us with a name.

d04fd1b54ae39f5e7f29224458aaa6a3.jpg

Here is a good one.. cuz this is thriller.. thrill the trailer park..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Unfortunately, we cannot do that as that data is not free.  Actually, it is very, very far from free :).

Also, that wouldn't necessarily solve the real issue as most of our source data only provides us with a name.

Oh, so if you guys were to add the option of applying the IMDB ID for the actor, you'd have to pay for that? It isn't part of your existing agreement?

Oh, so if you guys were to add the option of applying the IMDB ID for the actor, you'd have to pay for that? It isn't part of your existing agreement?

Applying that where?

The data coming from the source is just "Chris Evans".  Even if we allowed you to go fill in an ID for him, once that data is refreshed from the source, it will just be "Chris Evans" again and we'd have no way of knowing which one it was supposed to be.  That is the crux of the issue.  Anything we did to allow unique identification is just spinning our wheels because the source data is not using any sort of ID.

We don't have an existing agreement with IMDb.  We do not access their service because it is paid only. 

Guest asrequested

Applying that where?

The data coming from the source is just "Chris Evans".  Even if we allowed you to go fill in an ID for him, once that data is refreshed from the source, it will just be "Chris Evans" again and we'd have no way of knowing which one it was supposed to be.  That is the crux of the issue.  Anything we did to allow unique identification is just spinning our wheels because the source data is not using any sort of ID.

We don't have an existing agreement with IMDb.  We do not access their service because it is paid only. 

You could apply it here, at the actor level in the metadata manager.

575c631b53c81_Snapshot_110.jpg

IMDB IDs are already being applied for the show, why not the actor?

575c637a6b2ce_Snapshot_111.jpg

The Chris Evans IMDB ID is available: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0262632/?ref_=nv_sr_2

We could use this to correct a wrong ID, if one arises. 

Edited by Doofus

Happy2Play

Everywhere you see a IMDB id it is actually coming from TMDB or OMDB and possible TVDB.

575c65e523814_tmdb.jpg

Happy2Play

You could apply it here, at the actor level in the metadata manager.

575c631b53c81_Snapshot_110.jpg

IMDB IDs are already being applied for the show, why not the actor?

575c637a6b2ce_Snapshot_111.jpg

The Chris Evans IMDB ID is available: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0262632/?ref_=nv_sr_2

We could use this to correct a wrong ID, if one arises. 

Still comes back to what if you have both actors.  Emby will only allow one or the other.

Happy2Play

Ok, Chris Evans is there: https://www.themoviedb.org/person/1212362-chris-evans

Couldn't this ID be manually applied by us, on the actor level in the metadata manager?

So is this though, so you as the user have to decide which are you want to be correct.  Avengers "Chris Evans" or Famous and Fearless "Chris Evans".

Happy2Play

Oh, so it's an Emby glitch? I just thought it needed differentiating 

Not really a glitch is the design of identifying actors by name.

well the issue starts with the metadata providers. when we get the people list for a movie or series, all we get are names

Guest asrequested

So is this though, so you as the user have to decide which are you want to be correct.  Avengers "Chris Evans" or Famous and Fearless "Chris Evans".

Exactly. If the actor ID is there, why wouldn't it work? They have separate IDs

Guest asrequested

If you have two movies with the same name, you can identify them by their online ID, the actors have IDs, too. So why not use them?

Crestj

I think what he's trying to say is that if you get just names you cannot tell which is correct for that tv show or movie.

If emby had an actor ID and you could set it manually and lock it for a series could that not work?

• Like 1

Happy2Play

The api only returns names of actor not there id. How is Emby suppose to know which Chris Evans this is suppose to be?

Example

<root response="True">
<movie title="The Avengers" year="2012" rated="PG-13" released="04 May 2012" runtime="143 min" genre="Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi" director="Joss Whedon" writer="Joss Whedon (screenplay), Zak Penn (story), Joss Whedon (story)" actors="Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth" plot="Earth's mightiest heroes must come together and learn to fight as a team if they are to stop the mischievous Loki and his alien army from enslaving humanity." language="English, Russian" country="USA" awards="Nominated for 1 Oscar. Another 36 wins & 77 nominations." poster="http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTk2NTI1MTU4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg0OTY0Nw@@._V1_SX300.jpg" metascore="69" imdbRating="8.1" imdbVotes="972,009" imdbID="tt0848228" type="movie"/>
</root>
Edited by Happy2Play

Guest asrequested

I think what he's trying to say is that if you get just names you cannot tell which is correct for that tv show or movie.

If emby had an actor ID and you could set it manually and lock it for a series could that not work?

Yes! 

Happy2Play

In the end the entire People system would have to be revamped to ID base instead of Name base and would allow the user to manually fix same name issues like this.

And that would really hurt my 52GB peoples folder.

Edited by Happy2Play